Popular Tags: [View All]
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
Each player is a mini kingdom/nation/state/faction/whatnot that wages war on his immediate neighbors, trying to forge (fleeting) alliances with your neighbours, neighbour (enemy of my enemy kind of thing).
Mechanical it uses simultaneous play, then reveal, and relies on some bluffing, second guessing and timing.

It is a game with 8 cards per player, it plays in 15-20 min, is for ages 8 and up, with a player count of 2-6. Several games can be piled together making it playable for up to 12 or 18 players at a time.
Cards can be played to attack, defend, sabotage, trade or recover previously played cards. Success means you draw a card from your opponent, and you need four cards to win that aren't your own. It has player elimination.

Go!

Regards
Asger Granerud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Name my game!
The Semprini wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, far it sounds dry and generic; I think you need not just a name but also a theme that is integrated into the game and helps explain what is going on. I'd recommend one of three routes to coming up with an appropriate setting, depending on your own taste.

(a) Historically Specific. Find a very specific historical setting and learn about that narrow chunk of history. Integrate it well, and the game will be distinctive. Not just "warring city states" but specifically "southern Germany in 1460" or "Japan just prior to WWI". The game doesn't need to be realistic or simulationist, but giving it a very specific setting can really help ground it and make it stand out.

(b) Whimsical/Absurd. Take a generic setting and add in a slightly absurd twist. E.g. classical Greek city states being run by penguins or Rome run by chickens (which has been done ). Then integrate that theme into the game, so it isn't just tacked on. The theme doesn't need to drive the mechanics, but they should help make the mechanics make sense, and provide logical groupings, names, and exceptions to the rules.

(c) World Building. First create your own rich and immersive story space, then integrate it into the game. Not just a rehashing of old ideas, but do something new, like make "Bottled Demons" a resource (that's also been done ). Focus on creating a world that, when described, will make people think "that's weird, I wonder what implications that would have on warring city states?" rather than "that sounds sort of like Tolkien".

Each of these paths will yield wildly different results, and I suspect that picking one will help solicit good ideas from a forum. At least give some examples of the style of title/theme you like, to get things started on a useful track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doe Gibson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Tread On Me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Moffat
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
MicroNationals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks.

Thank you for the input so far! I also crowd sourced input from twitter and facebook, and whetted between the many variants. We ended up 'shortlisting' three suggestions, feel free to add your input

Quarrel Kings
Wee Hotheaded Kingdoms
Cramped Kingdoms

Regards
Asger Granerud

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight Minute Empire? D'oh!

Diplomats and Daggers?

Sounds like fun. Maybe you could offer thematic expansions as suggested above. I think Renaissance Italy sounds like a good setting, Warring States China, and maybe a fantasy setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy S
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enemy of My Enemy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Walter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The current thematical idea is to set it roughly in medieval times, but draw on stereotypes from different time periods and continents. It is not a serious or deep game, after all it handles 12+ players and still plays in 20-25 minutes...

Reason for sticking with kingdoms, is that they are characterized with a... King/Queen. Something that can be personalized and makes it possible to identify with for all ages.

Regards
Asger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Querulous Kingdoms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Little Emperors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Border Battles

Quarreling Kingdoms

Fragile Alliance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nicholas
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Long Live The King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quests for the Quartet

That highlights the winning goal. Quest evoke medival. Quests emphasise the multiple attacking nature of it, suggest that there may be many routes to victory (winners will have grabbed cards from different players each game), and suggest that multiple quests are ongoing simultaniously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.