Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Lauer
Germany
Braubach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my first solo-play of Lewis & Clark. Setting the difficulty for MacForgothisname to easy - starting with me in St. Louis.
Right from the start was Black Cat sitting in the first place of the journal of encounters.
The ability to get two resources of my choice by recruiting him was quite handy and i couldn't resist to bring him into my camp after my first round. It was my only recruiting for the rest of the game.
In sending my Scout out to the indians three times acourse the game gave me enough power to send out the crew fetching resources an trading with the tribes for horses and canoes.
During the whole game Merriwether Lewis was the only guy steering my fellow band up the river and over the mountains. Most of the time a little ahead of McForgothisname who only managed to get ahead of us in the Rocky Mountains. But in the end we left him behind.

This was my second time playing L&C, the first time was a two-player game and i must say I'm quite impressed. What a lovely, lovely good looking and smooth going game.
I own the second german edition and the only complain I have is the component quality. Right after the first game some of the really beautiful cards began to wear on the edges. The board has some minor glue-issues an is wearing on the folding lines. The player boards and the cards have a little bending problem and the cardboard stock is all in all of poor qualitity.
The bending problem can be delt with in flating the boards for a while and sleeving the cards will protect them from the wearing off. The problem of the game board seems to be the greatest problem for the longlivity of the game and I'm tempted to print the whole board on a peace of cloth in a printing shop. The idea of rolling the „map“ out on the next gaming sessions seems nice to me an i think I will give this a try.

That's said, doesn't change my opinion of the gameplay. L&C is a fantastic game.
The deck building or shall we say hand building mechanism with the race theme of the game matches perfectly. The game isn't too complex, the rules are quite easy, but the gameplay is challenging. The game can be prone for AP because of all the possibilities you have on you turn but the lack of luck if you don't count the coming out of the cards makes this one the right mixture of a gateway and a gamers game.
Besides the component quality the artwork of the game is stunning. The thoughts behind the whole idea impressing. All the characters of history which come to life and each and everyone brings some unique skills in collecting resources, scouting, trading with the indians and building usefull stuff for this expedition is awesome. You get your little history lessons out of the box/rulebook where every character is described.

Right in the moment Lewis and Clark is my game of the year worth the Kennerspiel des Jahres.

I'm looking forward to my next journey up the Missouri to Fort Clatsop.

Thanks for reading an always happy gaming.

P.S. The guy who was breathing in my neck was Alexander Mackenzie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longino García
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit I enyojed the solitaire gameplay way more than I thought I would. The game is quick to set up and plays in half an hour, tops. I have only played twice, and only tied with Mackenzie, but it's a great puzzle-like experience. In fact, I wonder if someone has calculated what's the lowest ammount of compulsory actions needed to reach Fort Clatsop without using the encounter deck.

By the way, If I recall correctly, when placing cards in the encounter area for the first time, the cards are arranged according to their strength, so Black Cat would never be able to stand on first place as long as any of those cards were of a strength lower than 3. As there were 2 strenght one cards and one strenght 2 card dealt during the setup of the game, Black Cat would have costed you 3 equipment and 4 pelts, instead of 3 equipment and one single pelt. This card reorganization only happens once, during setup, not during gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Lauer
Germany
Braubach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, you are absolutely right, I totally messed that up. I wish I could blame others for that, Rhados runtrough or Joel Eddy but I'm sure they did. that right. Such things are happening when you watch some videos and don't read the rulebook properly. I watched it played and messed up. Nonetheless a Great game an a very good solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Laster
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
hormigon wrote:
I have to admit I enyojed the solitaire gameplay way more than I thought I would. The game is quick to set up and plays in half an hour, tops. I have only played twice, and only tied with Mackenzie, but it's a great puzzle-like experience. In fact, I wonder if someone has calculated what's the lowest ammount of compulsory actions needed to reach Fort Clatsop without using the encounter deck.

By the way, If I recall correctly, when placing cards in the encounter area for the first time, the cards are arranged according to their strength, so Black Cat would never be able to stand on first place as long as any of those cards were of a strength lower than 3. As there were 2 strenght one cards and one strenght 2 card dealt during the setup of the game, Black Cat would have costed you 3 equipment and 4 pelts, instead of 3 equipment and one single pelt. This card reorganization only happens once, during setup, not during gameplay.

No ties, first to reach wins (I've lost in solo twice, lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longino García
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohverload wrote:

Then I lost, because I camped past Fort Clatsop just after doing a compulsory action that caused Mackenzie to arrive to Fort Clatsop too. Anyway, I noticed today I had missinterpreted a card to my advantage unknowingly, which means I was bested by a much wider margin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Laster
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
hormigon wrote:
ohverload wrote:

Then I lost, because I camped past Fort Clatsop just after doing a compulsory action that caused Mackenzie to arrive to Fort Clatsop too. Anyway, I noticed today I had missinterpreted a card to my advantage unknowingly, which means I was bested by a much wider margin.

I thought I won my first game, but like you after looking back it was "well damn, I lost by a bunch" lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
hormigon wrote:
ohverload wrote:

I haven't played yet (though am strongly considering buying it), but from my reading of the rules, you may still have won. Alexander doesn't move until after your TURN is over, and during your turn you do the action, plus you can camp and/or recruit before OR after your action.

So if he was one space away, you could do your action to move, then camp, and if that puts you at/past Fort Clatsop, you would win because he doesn't move until after your turn is completely done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.