Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Blackwood
England
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Sorry to post a basic question, hope it's okay to do that here. I had a look at the relevant GMT FAQ but couldn't find the answer.

My question is about handling Retreats. Specifically, if say one Carthaginian unit is attacked by two or three Roman units, does a Retreat result from the first of those attacks force the Carthaginian unit back immediately? Or does the Carthaginian unit have to also take any possible hits and/or Retreats from the other attacking Roman units before it falls back?

I hope I've explained the question in an intelligible way!

I suspect the answer to this is obvious, and I'm simply suffering from too many years of DBA whistle

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Cheers,
Jay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From page 9 of the rules:

"If more than one ordered unit is adjacent to the defending enemy unit, each ordered Close Combat attack is resolved separately."

Therefore, you resolve the retreats from the first attack before beginning the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Blackwood
England
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
Doh!!! blush

Thanks Matt!

Cheers,
Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each combat is resolved in turn, so if Carthaginian heavy infantry is being attack by Roman Infantry "A" and "B", the Roman player needs to decide which unit he is attacking with first, and all results are applied, before the other unit attacks.

This does mean that the attack order can be really important, since it's possible for a unit to retreat out of range. Indeed this can be a really useful tactic - ignoring banners is always optional, so it can be useful to take banners sometimes to get out of range. For cavalry and warriors (who all retreat two or more hexes) this can be particularly useful.

Beyond this, where this gets counter-intuitive is with likes of Warrior units - full strength warriors attack with four dice, and reduced warriors with three. Since it will be considered "the same combat", Warriors that were full strength at the beginning of combat will battle back with four dice, even if they are reduced by the incoming attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will find that deciding the order of attacks is one of the most important decisions you will make in this game.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Blackwood
England
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
Thanks guys :O)

Yes, I can see now that getting order of attack right is key.

Cheers,
Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.