Subject: strategies for cinque terra rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Walker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played a couple of games and was struck by the fact that the extra produce cards depending on your initial list and the prices gained by selling at a village can be either easy to fill or difficult ie impossible.
I also noted that trying to fill specific ones if you had only one of the three resources a waste because the other players could snatch them up.

It seems to be very much the luck of the initial draw that can determine success.

Does anyone feel the same or have a strategy that levels the playing field?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Brown
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The initial cards are equal in value, they are just random. Each is worth 30 points when fulfilled (the total of the delivery points and the card points).

So the strategy has to be how efficiently you can build from that card.

Either through collecting the bonus cards, or by getting the bonus points from being the first to deliver 8 cubes at a location. If you match a fruit or two on cards, try to snatch the card. If you don't grab 6 point delivery fruit and focus on that.

You have to adjust based on your situation. I think that is what makes the game challenging and fun. Otherwise it would be rather routine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The initial cards are equal in value, they are just random. Each is worth 30 points when fulfilled (the total of the delivery points and the card points).

I'm sure that isn't right. There's a (really fiddly) calculation you need to do at the start when you are given your starting order whereby you calculate its actual value based on the value of each of the different types of produce at the villages requesting them. From that point you can decide whether or not it is worth completing the order as a matter of priority or not.

In our last game I had a starting order worth 25 points (the maximum it can be worth) and the other player had a starting order worth 11 points only.

If the dice rolls have been really against you it isn't beyond possibility (although it is unlikely) that your starting order is worth less than 5 points, or even zero points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Meyers
United States
Central Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks really strange, but actually I believe the fiddly calculation is to deduct the value of the goods that you get from delivering them as normal through regular game play for fulfilling the contract overall - basically then, you're not "doubling up" on points. So then all contracts are indeed technically worth 30pts in the end, if you fulfill them. Some of those points you get during play when selling the goods as normal. The rest you get as a "bonus" at completion for fulfilling the entire contract at the end of the game. Essentially really, the contracts are kind of like penalties if you're not able to fulfill them - it forces players to do at least one specific contract, so that the game's not a total sandbox, I suppose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.