BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: what's my collection missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Collins
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
After always enjoying family board games in my childhood, ive recently discovered how fantastic modern games are. Especially in this age of electronics, where everyone is glued to their phone. I think it's a fantastic opportunity to re-unite with human interaction. And so i've started my own collection.

I'm attempting to obtain a diverse set of games with different themes, mechanics, playing times & player numbers. So I'm reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some guidance.

I generally have a group of 3-4 people playing, and don't particularly enjoy space or medieval themes. Ideally I would like to limit playing times to 90 minds maximum.

I currently own -
For Sale
King of Tokyo
Pandemic
7 Wonders
Tzolk'in
(I'm about to buy Robinson Crusoe, so I have an additional game that can be played alone)

Look forward to hearing some suggestions.
Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3-4 players, 90 minutes maximum, no medieval and no space theme, looking for essentials for collection and diversity, hmmm...

Dominion

...as the deck building game:

2-4 players (competitive)
Easy rules
High replay value
Plays very fast
Many expansions available

E Although it has a medieval theme in pictures and card names, the theme is a bit pasted on, so it should not be considered as a problem.

Takenoko

...as the easy strategy game:

Easy rules
Fantastic production quality
Humorous theme
Panda !

Small World

...as the heavier/deeper strategy game:

2-5 players (competitive)
High replay value
Great production quality
Humorous theme
Expansions available

Elder Sign

...as the dice rolling game:

1-4 player (cooperative)
Easy rules
Fantastic production quality
Very thematic/atmospheric
Expansion available

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

...as the chaotic fun game:

1-5 players (cooperative)
Easy rules
Great production quality
Different game experience in realtime
Plays very, very fast (each round is exactly 10 minutes long)
Expansions available

Lords of Vegas

...as the area control game:

Easy rules
Very open in player's options (E trading)
Nice scoring mechanism
Expansion available

Airlines Europe

...as the route building ("train game") and stock holding game:

2-5 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great production quality
Expansions available

Zombie Dice

...as the fast filler/warm up game

2-99 players (competitive)
Very easy rules
Plays very fast
Low price

Jaipur

...as the 2 player game:

2 players (competitive)
Easy rules
Great production quality
Plays very fast
Low price

E Just in case not enough people are around.

Chookbilly wrote:

(I'm about to buy Robinson Crusoe, so I have an additional game that can be played alone)

Excellent choice ! Just be aware that this game has more complexity and playing time than any other game mentioned here so far.

I hope my suggestions were at least inspiring, good luck and have fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C L
United States
Fairborn
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deckbuilder- Legendary...if you like Marvel/superheroes and want more theme than Dominion.

Worker placement - Lords of Waterdeep if you want a Gateway. Village or Dungeon Petz if you want a little more weight.

Feld - Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How about Post-Medieval???

Please, please do not discount Agricola. I played this for the first time the other day and it is simply outstanding. My children (9 & 12) also really enjoyed it.

Simple worker-placement mechanisms hide a deep and profoundly satisfying game, satisfaction that partly comes, I think, from the totally integrated theme that really makes you feel like you are building and growing a life.

I also like its presentation, which, for me, is a perfect balance of the abstract and the more concrete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Collins
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, they certainly helped in pointing me in the right direction.

As mentioned in the opening post I've since bought Robinson Crusoe, as well as getting Suburbia.
Thanks Kyur, after looking through your suggestions I really like the look of airlines, will certainly try to pick it up soon. Ive also considered small world for some time, but there's something I don't like about the continual discarding of races.

Now I need to get some good game time out of my collection. This is dangerously addictive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.