Russell Ray

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
Test
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Romulan Warbird decloaking ahead, Captain!
Red Alert, Shields Up!

Note: I have played Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, I’m not sure why but I did not care for it. I believe I just didn’t dump enough money into it. When I saw a picture of an upcoming Star Trek game based on X-Wing Miniatures, I was fairly appalled. I love both Star Trek and Star Wars, even though Star Trek has a special place in my heart. I understood wanting to cash in on the success of X-Wing, I figured Attack Wing would fall flat. I couldn’t have been more wrong. I sincerely enjoy Attack Wing.

Gameplay:
+Flight Path System: Wizkids licensed this particular method of using templates to move miniature replicas of starships from Fantasy Flight Games and their X-Wing Miniatures game. Best. Decision. Ever. It’s a great system, both in X-Wing and Attack Wing.
+Factions: Currently it appears as if there are plans for 11 different factions. From the manual it mentions: Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Dominion, Borg, Species 8472, Kazon, Bajoran, Ferengi, Independents, and Mirror Universe. (this info can be found on page 18 under Resolving Conflicts -> Initiative.) I really find that wonderful! It gives you a massive variety of ships to play with and the potential for a great number of players and alliances.
+Cloaking: At first I didn’t like the cloak system; but I honestly think it is done very intelligently. Instead of removing the ship and adding sensor echo tokens like Fleet Captains does, Attack Wing’s mechanics keep the ship on the table and allows you to add 4 defense die while defending. Add in the sensor echo mechanic, and it works well.
+Interchangeable captains / crew / upgrades: I like the upgrade system FAR better than the Star Wars X-Wing. Putting Benjamin Sisko in command of the Enterprise-D is something I look forward to with great enthusiasm.
-I like the shield system; although I really wish there was a way for the shields to regenerate on their own. I’m sure this would muddle up the game system and make each game longer, but it’s something I’d like to explore.

Components:
+Good cardboard for token components. It’s thick and the images so far haven’t peeled off in any way.
-Card stock. I own two Wizkids Star Trek based games. I am definitely not a fan of the card stock they use in either game. It’s too thin and begins to warp or curl as soon as it’s removed from packaging.
-I really dislike the little clear plastic sticks used to hold the ships up. I’m sure this is probably the best way to do it, but I’m always paranoid that they are going to break. I have in fact broken one on my Star Wars: X-Wing set.
+Now for the real battle, the ships: I actually really enjoy the ships. Many people complain about the scaling, or the lack of color. I honestly prefer the lack of color. They aren’t too flashy, yet they are detailed enough to look good on the table.

Rules/Rulebook:
+28 Pages of decent explanations: The book isn’t long or confusing by any means. I definitely would like to write a great rules summary, but it isn’t necessary!
+Supplemented with FAQs: Many questionable rules are supplemented with a rules faq found here
+Quick start rules: I like that the game comes with an additional set of rules to dive right into the game. I almost never use them, because I like having all the options available to me, but I definitely appreciate that this is an option.

Replayability:
+Missions: Not only can you do a free-for-all combat, but you can reinact famous missions in the Star Trek Universe.
+Organized Play: The first OP event was The Dominion War, which I’m incredibly sad to say that I completely missed. Wizkids provides retailers with additional content in which to host large scale events with.
+Expansions: New expansions are planned up until October 2014. Between April and October of 2014, there are 19 ships planned to be released.

Player Flexibility:
+2 - Many Players: As little as two players can field tons of ships; or tons of players can field a single ship and the game remains entertaining. I’ve only had the opportunity to play with three total players, but I can easily see the appeal of playing with more.

Storage:
+I like that the ships have their three specific spots and are covered by a plastic shield.
+Several plastic bags included to separate tokens.
-No room for expansions: Normally I don’t fuss with things outside of the base game; however Attack Wing is built on the fact that players will buy expansions. To that end, I’ve purchased one expansion, and have nowhere to put the extra ship.

Specific Likes
I adore the Theme. I am very fond of Star Trek and always have been. In my opinion the theme fits this particular game far better than it does X-Wing; particularly in the base set. I know I will get several disagreements with this statement, but think of it like this: How often in Star Wars did you see an X-Wing battling one or two TIE Fighters? Now, in Star Trek, how often was the Enterprise facing off against a Romulan Warbird? The theme in truly rich in Attack Wing, and I’m excited to add more ships to my repertoire.

Specific Dislikes
Honestly, in rare form I can think of nothing that specifically stands out to me as a genuine dislike. If I had to really dig for one thing, it would be the peg stands for the ships; however, that’s so minor, it’s hardly worth mentioning.

Summary:
I highly recommend Star Trek: Attack Wing to anyone that enjoys the following: Miniature games, Star Trek, Strategy games, and Sci-Fi in general. It's a wonderful game, that I actually don't mind dumping some money into for expansions. Overall, I would give this game 5/5 Stars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. Almost no one keeps their ships in the original packaging. As soon as you start buying more expansions, you run into the problem that you had, there is no where to put them. It is easily solved by picking up a Plano storage tray from WalMart or pretty much anywhere. You can store your templates in them pretty easily, as well as several ships and bases. If you get one that has adjustable dividers, they can even be set up to sort and store all of the various tokens that you will get for the game (or the little plastic bags that come with the expansions do the trick if you want to keep those in the main box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review! Glad you enjoy the game after your experience on the X-Wing side. I do like both games but find that my friends play Attack Wing a lot more. Two BIG reasons for this: 1) Ships can swap Captains and crew (and just about everything else, too). This really opens the game up for scenario-building and competitive play. And 2) Each commercially available expansion ship comes with its own feature mission. X-Wing is practically all dogfighting around asteroids at 100 pts. Organized play for Attack Wing is also about 100 pt. Squads fighting one another—but there's always something else going on, too: landing marines, dodging orbital platforms or storming DS9. Always something to look forward to.

If you missed The Dominion War OP's, I think that your FLGS can probably pick up some of these kits through their distributor. Possibly you can be their front-man for drumming up players and they can host. But, for sure, you should try organized play for this game if you possibly can. I feel like WizKids spoiled us with some very nice and inventive Participation Prizes even if you don't win a coveted Prize Ship. Lots of planets and asteroids and platforms (and more!) were made available. Very cool and the games were lots of fun. Great practice and an eye-opener to play against others who don't think the same way your or your friends do! Some truly clever players here in Austin!

As for storage, you can store the models loose in a small crafting bin IF you don't paint them. It's nice to have a miniatures game where you don't have to treat the models like eggs. ...But, of course, lots of people do paint them, so I'm sure folks here will give you lots of good advice! For competitive play, for example, I'm down do a little hard-plastic sandwich carrier with a pop-top. Enough tokens for my 100 pt. squad, dice, cards, the ships, pegs, and stands all fit in there. Makes travel, set-up, and take-down very easy. I'm thinking of moving up to one that's pencil-box size so I can fit my templates and other sundries, too.

If I had one complaint about the game, it would be that point costs for ships sometimes are out alignment with their worth. The 2pts per attribute point may work as a raw benchmark, but it doesn't seem to factor things like upgrade slots, maneuverability, arcs of fire, or available actions.

But for all that, the game is still a ton of fun and I'm glad to have it in my collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside card-stock, how is the rest of the material's quality?
Star Trek Fleet Captain's is... really bad. Especially for its price and despite being of a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Ray

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
Test
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
If I had one complaint about the game, it would be that point costs for ships sometimes are out alignment with their worth. The 2pts per attribute point may work as a raw benchmark, but it doesn't seem to factor things like upgrade slots, maneuverability, arcs of fire, or available actions.

I hadn't even considered this yet, honestly. You make a very good point! Part of my feels like the Romulan D'Deridex class is slightly underpowered, but that may just be my love for the Romulans showing.

ionas wrote:
Aside card-stock, how is the rest of the material's quality?
Star Trek Fleet Captain's is... really bad. Especially for its price and despite being of a good game.

I think the components are pretty good. I, like yourself, am also frustrated by the Fleet Captain's component quality, particularly the Hex locations. I feel like games such as Eclipse can make them decently, so could FC. For Attack Wing I can only think of two complaints about the components: the card stock is thin (not quite as thing as Fleet Captains) and the dice aren't the best quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.