Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Average Rating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil, the Tusken Tactician
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been watching over the last year as the average rating for Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures gets lower and lower. It was above 8/10 and then it very slowly dipped to 8.0, then it crossed a threshold to 7.99 and now it's at 7.96.

Who are these people who are voting this game down? It's a bloody amazing game and with every wave it keeps getting better. We should all rise up and vote it back up to loftier heights!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really care?

The more people play the game, the more average ratings you should expect. X-Wing starts to be mainstream, and you should expect a greater variance of ratings (and hate votes, they are really pathetic, IMHO), and ratings from people that try the game once, and either the game is not for them, or they have a bad experience for one reason or another.

7 still means it's a "good game, usually willing to play", so if the rating is about 8, on average the game is "great game, love to play, will suggest it, never turn down a game". So what is wrong with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
This is completely normal for any game as it gets more exposure.

The people who buy it and play it soon after release will be predisposed to give it very high marks. They are huge Star Wars fans, or FFG fanboys, or whatever.

As other gamers who were not necessarily waiting for it with great anticipation try it out for the first time a couple years later, there will naturally be many who do not like it as much as the die-hards.

FWIW, I played it for the first time just last month, and I gave it a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No, I don't really care that much. This is just a light-hearted post since I haven't posted anything on here for ages. I do think that the higher the rating the more passing strangers might be tempted by the game, though, and that's always a good thing, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:

No, I don't really care that much. This is just a light-hearted post since I haven't posted anything on here for ages. I do think that the higher the rating the more passing strangers might be tempted by the game, though, and that's always a good thing, isn't it?

If a high rating is always a good thing, why don't we rate every game a 10?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
Tusken Raider wrote:

If a high rating is always a good thing, why don't we rate every game a 10?

Because some game aren't worth it.

This one is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the A-wing Expansion being released.

NO ONE likes that!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

NO ONE likes that!!

England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This guy literally wrote the book on A-Wings lol

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4681
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoosh: Not just the sound made by an A-wing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

NO ONE likes that!!

Did you hear that? That was the sounds of a million Arvel Crynyds suddenly crying out in terror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tusken Raider wrote:
I do think that the higher the rating the more passing strangers might be tempted by the game, though, and that's always a good thing, isn't it?

It's a double-edged sword, because then they try the game with too high expectations, which often spells disappointment. Games can already fail just because you make a few mistakes when trying it the first time, or someone crushes you in your first game. And some people blame the hype and the game for it failing for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I find difficult for this or any game is a rating with no explanation on why they rated it very high or very low. The number of ratings without explanation makes it difficult to use the rating system as a good system to make a purchase based on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
wait, people rate games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Tusken Raider wrote:

I've been watching over the last year as the average rating for Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures gets lower and lower. It was above 8/10 and then it very slowly dipped to 8.0, then it crossed a threshold to 7.99 and now it's at 7.96.

Who are these people who are voting this game down? It's a bloody amazing game and with every wave it keeps getting better. We should all rise up and vote it back up to loftier heights!

And this is why the BGG rating system is useless. This is exactly what happens with a number of games, which causes an inflated un-realstic rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

NO ONE likes that!!

What the whaaat? It's amazing and not just because I love A-Wings. It completely opens up the game in really exciting new ways. And we don't even know all the cards and pilots yet.

Or were you having a dig because you knew it was me...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reckless Fable
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Attack Wing has an 8.19 rating. Clearly that shows how perfectly the system works. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RecklessFable wrote:
Star Trek: Attack Wing has an 8.19 rating. Clearly that shows how perfectly the system works. goo

Average rating is just that. But Star Trek does not have a higher rank than Star Wars.

Star Wars has 6621 votes right now to Star Treks 590 votes. That shows that much more people even care about voting for Star Wars then Star Trek. Those who care to vote are probably bigger fans, so they rate higher. If Star Trek gets played more by "casual" gamers it will get more votes, but a lower overall rating.

And this is all reflected in the geek rating and the overall rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.