Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well my slow solo game picked up steam this weekend. Fall and winter turns are much faster due to limited chit availability. Axis have 24 VP cities at the end of 1941. They need to have 28 by the end of each 1942 turn or they auto lose. As you will see in the pics Leningrad, Odessa and Krivoy Rog are all possible Axis gains in January 1942. That would put the Axis at 27 VP. Those are the only realistic possible gains. Smolensk however is a possible loss as Army Group Center has taken a beating and are on their heels. So, I am calling this first solo game a Soviet Victory at the end of 1941.

Army Group North at the gates of Leningrad.

The arrival of Soviet Shock Armies really took the wind out of an already battered Army Group Center. During the December turn a Soviet airborne corps landed behind a full stack of German armor. 2 Shock Armies then moved into another flank hex cutting off retreat. In the ensuing combat a retreat result eliminated the stack. Army Group Center was forced to retreat. They are unable to cover all the holes because mech units don't have ZOC in winter and their infantry Corps are all flipped. It's a mess.

Gomel has held out and frustrated German attempts to push that part of the front to threaten Moscow from that direction.

The Dnieper River bridgehead has been effectively contained by lack of supply allowing Soviet reinforcements time to seal it off.

Odessa is under siege, but it doesn't really matter.

A fun game overall. Solo's well due to the chit draw. Appears to be a tough game for the Germans, as it should be. Probably a game that requires multiple plays of one side to really develop a workable strategy. As has been discussed in other forums and threads, if going for Moscow then don't go for Leningrad. Army Group Center is going to need the units of Army Group North. The lack of replacements after turn 4 really hurt Germans as they just got ground to bits in the center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
OOoooh that was a catastrophe for AGC. Damn Shock/Airborne Soviets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Grossman
United States
Kerrville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed reading the AAR even if things ended early. Germans actually need 29
VPs or more in 1942 to stay in the game (not 28).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted raicer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
You also need to use Axis Emergency Corps replacements to get their ZOCs back. Always try and keep some 2-4s with your corps for that purpose. (Using 1-2-4s is allowed but not cost effective.)

Ted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice AAR. Good to think ahead to the winter and Mech units not having ZOCs. I will keep that in mind when taking losses for the Germans in the fall.

How many times did you try the first two rounds before thinking you had a reasonable strategy for the Germans? I'm finding that torturous, in a fun way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, lets be clear. I never thought I had a sound German strategy.

I only reset once, so I played the first 4 turns twice. As Ted pointed out I could have replaced the lost German inf corps steps. That would have kept me going a while longer. I had plenty of the 2-4 divisions running around. Repeated plays are really going to make a difference. I also think some ftf plays will too. Playing against someone, I always see things I didn't think of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gohrns wrote:
Chris, lets be clear. I never thought I had a sound German strategy.

I only reset once, so I played the first 4 turns twice. As Ted pointed out I could have replaced the lost German inf corps steps. That would have kept me going a while longer. I had plenty of the 2-4 divisions running around. Repeated plays are really going to make a difference. I also think some ftf plays will too. Playing against someone, I always see things I didn't think of.

Yeah, I'm just closing in on finishing the first turn for the first time (reset it three times so far). I'll be keen to see how many of the turn by turn rules I screw up. I think that so far, the first German turn has gone fairly well this time (AAR should be approved some time tonight so you can all tell me what you think), but the thing I like about East Front games is how the momentum swings back hard against the Germans.

I'm starting a PBEM game when I get back from New Orleans, as Russians, of the Fall Bleu scenario, so we'll see if I am better or worse against a human Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.