Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/the-purge-reviews-a...

Conclusion:

I have yet to read the AGOT books, but I do love the show. I am not a huge fantasy "fan", but I don't shy away from it either. I didn't grow up playing D & D and reading these sort of books.

Yet, I find AGOT fascinating and the game is a great representation of the show (and the book). The back stabbing, deal making, and anything can happen is packed in the box. The source material really plays out over the game. The game includes most of the characters, twists, and turns without being dogmatic to the source material.

The game itself is actually pretty easy to learn. On any given turn, your options are rather straight forward, but which options you take and who you believe will keep their word will dictate which actions you take. This is the real game. Do you believe they won't attack you? Are you spreading yourself too thin? Can you trust their words? This is the game. It does take some time to teach, but that is because of the number of options. Keep it simple and slow.

There is a big meta game going on in every play. You can't win if you don't trust anyone, but knowing exactly when to turn is the key to winning. Even when someone is out of the game, they will have a big decision in who to align with. Oh yea, that just gave them the window to cut your throat and they are back in the game. Never count anyone out.

With simple mechanics, a great source material, and fun provided by the interaction between the players this is a game that can last for years and really is a classic "con game" or a long gaming session game.

The down side is the game takes a long time to play and people may get their feelings hurt.

Keep in mind, despite characters from the books are on the cards, this is really a global look at the tale. The cards do a good job simulating the characters and each family plays differently. You do feel like you are in the AGOT world.

Components:

The components are great. This is a FFG game, so you know the bits are going to be top notch. The board is beautiful to look at. The art work on the cards are great and not from the movie. They really are beautiful.

All the chits are thick cardboard. The bits are wooden. I do wish they were plastic minis (and painted!), but they are high quality and work fine.

Rule Book:

The rule book is pretty good for a FFG game. The game really isn't over complicated. The book does include a full color book with a lot of examples and pictures. I don't mind FFG rule books, even though some people complain about them. I do feel they are detailed, but I don't mind it. With good player aids everyone will be fine.

Flow of the Game:

I am going to try and explain the flow of the game, not all the rules.

The game is played over 10 rounds. Within each round there are 3 phases. I will explain each phase very quickly.

1. Cards are drawn that allow "events" to occur. This drives part of the global narrative of the game. Your decisions will fill in the rest of the story.

2. Then, you will plan out everything you will do. This is the main "meat" of the game. You will choose actions for all of the units in the game. The following actions can be chosen: attack, defend, support, gain power, raid. You will make alliances and these alliances will dictate your actions. Can you trust them? The next phase will tell you the answer.

3. Lastly, you perform the actions you selected in the planning stage.

I am sure this seems really simple, but your decisions will keep you on the edge of your seat. This is not a world domination game. Instead, you need to strategically take certain areas. The goal of the game is to take 7 regions with strongholds/castle.

I want to describe the actions briefly.

1. Defend. Basically, you get a bonus if someone attacks you. The downside is nobody attacks you and you did nothing.

2. Support. Help another area in combat.

3. Move. Simply, move units around the board.

4. Raid. This cancels a support token, raid token, or power token. There are other rules attached.

5. Power. The main purpose is to put more units on the board.

While the possible decisions are easy to see, the hard part is you want to do X, but if someone attacks you then you are in trouble. So maybe you should do Y. But so and so promised to support and help you (and not attack you), so maybe I should do Z to hedge my bets. But I really want to do X.

Welcome to the Game of Thrones.

Should I buy this Game?:

I really, really like this game. It can be a game you hate one time and like another. This is really a game for gamers. You need time to play it (3-5 hours should be plenty).

A good compliment of 6 players is best. Also, a group that does not get their feelings hurt easily is a must.

This game is not about dominating a land, but more about deals to be made .... and broken.

Is this game for you? The previous description is all you need to know. This is a good game to have in your collection. Sure, it is longer, but it is more casual as many people know and like A Game of Thrones so you can get people into it easier.

I highly recommend this game. Survives the Purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

Rule Book:
The rule book is pretty good for a FFG game. The game really isn't over complicated. The book does include a full color book with a lot of examples and pictures. I don't mind FFG rule books, even though some people complain about them. I do feel they are detailed, but I don't mind it. With good player aids everyone will be fine.

Agree with this so much....

The rule book is excellent with its great examples and detail in explanation. However, the book is so detailed and good it can actually make people think that the game is so much more difficult to play than it is....

Far from it. I found teaching Power Grid with its 5 phase of turns about the same, maybe harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jglazebrook wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Rule Book:

Agree with this so much....

The rule book is excellent with its great examples and detail in explanation. However, the book is so detailed and good it can actually make people think that the game is so much more difficult to play than it is....

Far from it. I found teaching Power Grid with its 5 phase of turns about the same, maybe harder.

This is an easy game to teach people. The rules are actually pretty simple. The book is large so it makes it seem harder than it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
This is an easy game to teach people. The rules are actually pretty simple. The book is large so it makes it seem harder than it is.

You are saying exactly what I meant....

This game I probably find easier than Power Grid to help others learn.

The rule book being so detailed gives some great examples with plenty of pretty pictures for clear explanation. (However, as a result of such detail in the explanations it APPEARS hard but actually isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.