Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Just bought this game and am looking forward to playing it.

I am NOT a sleeving person - I personally hate using cards with sleeves: having to fiddle with them, never feel like they are shuffled correctly, etc. HOWEVER, that being said, I am aware of the necessity of sleeving some games.

I recently bought Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and sleeved it right off the bat. Semi-Cheap cards and constant constant constant shuffling of your hero deck made it almost mandatory.

How often are you shuffling your deck in a given game of Mage Knight? Can I get away without sleeving them if I'm careful (Which I usually am?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will shuffle a deck 6 times, once before each turn. But because the card stock is rather poor, and the cards in the base decks will get shuffled a lot more than the other ones, they will get marked over time even if you are careful. Sleeving them is very important, and will add a lot of durability. As a point, this is the only game I ever sleeved besides Magic, so I am like you where I generally am fine not using them.

If you can afford them, I recommend KMC clear sleeves, they fit amazingly well, shuffle smoothly, and are very consistent in quality. But they are a bit more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely sleeve. For more than one reason. The cards are a bit thin. They can also wear. They also have a texture surface which I found hard to shuffle them together.

Avoid Mayday sleeves at all costs, but I've found the Ultra-Pro ones and FFG ones ok. Though recently 2 batches of Ultra-Pro sleeves were noticeably different sizes too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's a sleever. Expensive game, thin cards.

Once you get used to handling sleeved cards it becomes easier than unleeved cards. Kind of a curse really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Valkyser
Germany
Wesseling
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played more than 30 games of Mage Knight unsleeved.
The cards show some wear, but it is still absolutely acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Just bought this game and am looking forward to playing it.

I am NOT a sleeving person - I personally hate using cards with sleeves: having to fiddle with them, never feel like they are shuffled correctly, etc. HOWEVER, that being said, I am aware of the necessity of sleeving some games.

I recently bought Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and sleeved it right off the bat. Semi-Cheap cards and constant constant constant shuffling of your hero deck made it almost mandatory.

How often are you shuffling your deck in a given game of Mage Knight? Can I get away without sleeving them if I'm careful (Which I usually am?)

I'm also one of those who prefer to avoid sleeves, but I've sleeved this one. The cards feel nice without sleeves, but they fray easily around the edges, and some cards get shuffled a lot. Note that the backs of the cards from the expansion doesn't match the backs of the cards from the base game. You may not notice, but since I decided to sleeve anyway, I chose opaque sleeves. The cards are Magic-sized, so you have many brands to choose from. I use Dragon Shields, which are a bit expensive, but they feel solid and tight, and aren't too slippery (one of the worst problem with sleeves, IMO). They also come in many colors. I use black for deed cards, gold and silver for units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had about 100 penny sleeves left over from sleeving the last one. I noticed the cheaper card stock - better than Legendary, but not quite as nice as FFG cards with the plastic coating.

It came down to "I have the supplies and can get penny ones easily - would I kick myself for sleeving them? or would I be upset knowing I had them and not used them?"

So I sleeved it. Of course, I ran out and didn't have enough, so now have to wait a week to get some more! (The store's only open on the weekend.)

And I'll have to find a storage solution then. Lots of nice pictures in the gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds familiar. The short version is that I ended up going with KMC Perfect Fit sleeves and am quite pleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
And I'll have to find a storage solution then. Lots of nice pictures in the gallery.

Foamcore is a great medium to work with. Getting started isn't too expensive (a good exacto knife, metal ruler, cutting mat, tacky glue, needles with glass balls on the end...) one trip to crafting store should do it.

As for a guide, www.orderofgamers.com has a series of youtube videos showing tips on cutting, planning, measuring, etc....

and for pictures of one specific to Mage Knight....
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1121446/foam-core-inserts

This designed for the expansions (inwhich I believe you only have the base game) so, you will have room to grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the cards are misprinted so they are in essence marked. Black lines on the back of them. So I wound up sleeving them with opaque sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm late to the discussion. I am not a sleeving person either, but I sleeved the cards. One of the reference cards split on me, so I wasn't risking the rest of the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
This sounds familiar. The short version is that I ended up going with KMC Perfect Fit sleeves and am quite pleased.

Well, I wasn't interested in "What sleeves should I use?" but whether it was a necessity. I've never felt the need to sleeve my MTG cards for example. But thanks for the vote for KMC - those look nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm like you. The only game I've ever sleeved is Legendary because those cards are bad and there is a ton of shuffling. My motto is that I will sleeve a game only if it starts to show wear and the wear impacts game play. So far I've played MK a dozen times and I haven't noticed any wear at all. The card quality seems really good to me. I've also played 40 games of LotR:LCG without sleeves and haven't noticed any wear either. I think it helps that I do an overhand shuffle instead of riffle shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Cush1978 wrote:

Well, I wasn't interested in "What sleeves should I use?" but whether it was a necessity. I've never felt the need to sleeve my MTG cards for example. But thanks for the vote for KMC - those look nice.

I was referring to the "sleeves for people who hate sleeves" mentality. I was looking for adequate protection without a giant stack of cards covered in plexiglass. Hence the question about what kind of sleeves for my particular preferences.

I play Mage Knight with my 12-year-old son. He always picks Norowas and I tend to go between Tovak and Arythea. After 3 plays, the corners of almost all of Norowas' cards had visible wear. A couple of others did as well. That's when I decided I needed to sleeve.

WizKids does not offer replacement cards period. Not for free, not for shipping, not to buy. They will replace defective parts for you once, but not damaged parts.

There are slight print variations that can be noticed between the base game and expansions. Some people also have the aforementioned black lines. If that's an issue, you might want opaque sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cush1978 wrote:
Lhowser wrote:
Cush1978 wrote:

I was referring to the "sleeves for people who hate sleeves" mentality. I was looking for adequate protection without a giant stack of cards covered in plexiglass. Hence the question about what kind of sleeves for my particular preferences.

Wow. I feel like an idiot. Totally hadn't seen that YOU had posted that one, and totally misread your initial post. Me bad. blush

Yes, now I can see why it would feel familiar.

I watched that long playthrough vid this afternoon, and wonder if I actually NEED to sleeve them. They don't get as much wear as I would have thought. (And I don't have 12 year olds playing it.) But again, I think it comes down to - I have the sleeves and would rather prevent the possibility rather than kick myself later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bishop
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha, yeah, that was me. And yes, younger and/or less careful people will certainly have a bigger impact on the cards. I'm typically pretty careful with my game components, but I can't say the same for every last person that will end up touching them.

When you start with a 16 card deck, one marked card makes a huge difference. Personally, I think the card stock leaves a lot to be desired. I play Castle Panic and Pathfinder: Adventure Card Game with the same people. Both games require a lot of shuffling and I've played them more than Mage Knight. They're showing even wear and tear, not "marked" areas where the print is coming off.

If you're playing solo, you'll be shuffling your character deck multiple times per game and that's about it. Everything else is shuffled once.

I just decided "better safe than sorry" and sleeved before things got worse. No further wear has shown since I put the KMC sleeves on, so the protection is good enough to prevent that kind of damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely sleeve cards, but MK is one of the few ones that I did.
Main reason is that - as I always play it solo - I would not always finish games in one go, so it stays on table for a while, even days. I notice the cards would then gather a bit of dust due to Sao Paulo being a (sigh) rather polluted city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Avoid Mayday sleeves at all costs, but I've found the Ultra-Pro ones and FFG ones ok. Though recently 2 batches of Ultra-Pro sleeves were noticeably different sizes too

Eh? I use Mayday Premium and it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sleeved MK and I haven't noticed much wear after 19 solo games. Reading this thread has made me consider sleeving though, as I really love this game and could see myself playing it for a long time going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone get any benefit from putting the Skill Cards, Hero cards, City Cards, Tactics, etc. in something other than your standard sleeves? I have a couple of hard cases I was going to put the Hero cards into. And then thought about putting the Site Descriptions, Skill Cards, maybe the Tactics, or City cards into top loaders or the like.

Any suggestions/recommendations? As far as how much they get used, etc? (I'm going to pick up the rest of my penny sleeves tomorrow and HOPEFULLY start playing this game!)

Anyone? Anyone?.... Bueller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about buying some of those KMC perfect fits sleeves, but my local FLGS told me they are really thin, wouldn't hold up to shuffling, and really should be used as an inner sleeve inside another one. Ever have any trouble with em?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.