Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm thinking about making cards for the table of events. Probably two cards for each (I know that'll mean 4x for some events in the deck).

Anyway, I'm thinking each player will draw three cards at the beginning of the game. When they roll a '1', instead of rolling on the table they play one of the cards from their hand, then draw another card at the end of their turn. So they always have three cards in hand.

The idea is to add a little more strategy to the events and have them now add to the fog-of-war as opposed to being simply totally random events.

I may incorporate similar cards over into Hold the Line as well.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jack dempsey
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers,
Sounds interesting...
What type of events? If I remember the game... rolling a "1" just checked for leader loss.
Would the "1" still check for leader loss AND card play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 6 has an optional events table. Those would be put on cards.

I'm having trouble finding a good collection of vintage Civil War paintings to use as images. Something to match the cover. Don Troiani and Co. is easy enough, but not sure how well they match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Easy to remove or reduce chances of certain events by number in deck.

If event table has event picked by roll TWO dice: event #7 will have 6 times more cards than #12. (sorry, don't have rules handy)

Hope you post a .pdf in the files section!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the first draft of the cards. I'm not a graphic designer by any means, so have mercy. However, I'm open to suggestions on improvements.

The card titles aren't consistent and I used a combination of Battle Cry cards, names of paintings, and events for the titles. I've provided one Union and one Confederate image for each event. Also, the last two images at the bottom are the working designs for the card backs.

Looking at the event distribution, I'm thinking that I'll give each player one Rally card to start with, then two random cards. They'll still always have three, but once the Rally card is spent it is discarded from the game. It's a once a game event. Seems more cinematic with one, big motivational speech.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work!
Maybe the backs can be different for the USA/CSA.
Like the left "back" option with
borders of either blue or gray.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may create a US back and a CS back, but don't think I'll change the colors of the boarders. I sort of like the neutral brown that matches the border of the rulebook.

Also, I'll probably rename both 'Bayonet Charge' and 'Rush to the Summit' to simply 'Charge'. Also, 'Mud March' and 'Fire in the Forest' to 'Delay' or something. I don't want the different titles to confuse players into thinking the events may be different. Plus, if you do want to split the cards out into two decks, it would be odd for the text to appear as if the Union is getting deluged with rain while the Confederates are dealing with forest fires.

I'll go generic and the players can print out as many copies of the cards as they see fit for their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Schomp
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, thank you for doing this!

Card play and distribution tweaks aside, having a card that you can place face up on the board to remind you which event is in effect for that turn is itself a great addition to the game!

Thanks again,
-Ben.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Putnam
United States
Reisterstown
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delay or mud card should read that your opponents troops are delayed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingPut wrote:
Delay or mud card should read that your opponents troops are delayed?

Ha! Great catch! Yes, that would make the most sense.

Hopefully, I'll have time to finish up the cards this weekend and upload the file here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to have decks printed up "professionally" you might want to include a white (bleed) border. It ruin some of the aesthetics, but is easier to deal with than cut off images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, took me longer than I wanted, but I have the cards uploaded.

I went with a generic look for the backs and fronts so that folks can create whatever card distribution they want without any colors or icons putting card meanings into question. You can still split the cards into two decks simply based on the army depicted in the images (However, the 'Delay' card would be the only outlier. For example, the card with the Union troops bogged down in the rain would go into the Confederate deck.)

I have also uploaded the cards in a word document as opposed to pdf or whatnot so that users can re-size the cards to their preference.

Enjoy!

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/102668/event-cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful selection of illustrations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.