Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2-players?

I'm breaking down and getting another euro game. I already have Lords of Waterdeep, Ninjato, Yedo and Alien Frontiers. As you may or may not know theme, art and component quality are very important to us. AoE looks the most interesting but read mixed reviews about the 2-player experience. I like Stone Age on my iPad and honestly pillars looks the least intersing but better than others I've researched plus it's highly rated. The last one I'm considering is Egizia.

Thanks in advanced

Edit:nchanged thread title to reflect my interests

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Age of Discovery, Pillars of the Earth, or Stone Age
For 2, not Pillars of the Earth.

I haven't played Age of Discovery.

However, Stone Age works great for 2, and Egizia works pretty well, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think age of discovery is available right now. Pillars is good but we would rather play Agricola with 2 personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonk28 wrote:
I don't think age of discovery is available right now. Pillars is good but we would rather play Agricola with 2 personally.

Well, we both have an aversion to games With themes grounded in reality especially farming but I understand with worker placement games it's hard to avoid. Caverna: The Cave Farmers looked more intersing than Agricola. I did however order Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small because it seems like a good option and regular Agricola is too heavy from the looks of it. What do you mean Age of Discovery isn't playable right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it is out of print at the moment. I think a reprint is scheduled before the end of the year tho. Yeah I realize Agricola wasn't really a contender, just saying for us, it gets to the table a lot more than pillars of the earth. I haven't played Stone Age but I will probably pick up age of discovery when that drops, looks really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonk28 wrote:
I believe it is out of print at the moment. I think a reprint is scheduled before the end of the year tho. Yeah I realize Agricola wasn't really a contender, just saying for us, it gets to the table a lot more than pillars of the earth. I haven't played Stone Age but I will probably pick up age of discovery when that drops, looks really cool.

Well since I'm forced to wait on AoE seems Stone Age is my best bet unless someone can recommend a worker placement game I won't hate the theme of (not an easy task be warned).

How does Egizia compare to Stone Age? Which is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get past the mundane theme, you might enjoy Le Havre. It's supposed to play well with two players.

(Sorry "Insert Geek Link" is not working for some reason)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
If you can get past the mundane theme, you might enjoy Le Havre. It's supposed to play well with two players.

(Sorry "Insert Geek Link" is not working for some reason)

No theme is a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people seem to enjoy Stone Age with two, but to me it feels a little scripted. You already own SE on your iPad, should you also buy the physical copy as well?

As for Age of Discovery, did you mean AoE (Age of Empires) or Age of Discovery (like your subject suggests)?

Egizia is okay with two but make sure to remove some cards for two player game (look at some threads on Egizia page for some suggestions). Removing the cards is not in the official rule, but some people complain about some cards being a little swingy. I played a two player game once with no cards removed. I don't remember about the cards in play, but I feel like the two player game loses it's tension (I guess this is applied to any other game out there). Restricting the spaces to place your boat in the building area could help tighten the game.

As for the comparison between Egizia and SE, Egizia is definitely slightly deeper and has more strategy, although not much.

As for Pillars of the Earth, I find it to be okay with two. I missed the tension in a 3-4 player game, however I still enjoy playing it with two. My impression of the two player game is similar with my experience with 2-player SE, although I prefer Pillars than SE with two.

Other games to look at:
- Fresco (check out Rahdo's runthrough)(2-player requires dummy; easy to handle)
- Keyflower

p/s I enjoyed Ninjato with two too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damien thanks take the reply. I was referring to Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, didn't realize there was more than one. I appreciate the suggestion for Fresco but the theme isn't appealing. Do you think Egizia is a better choice than Stone Age since we already have Ninjato?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Glenn Drover's Age of Discovery, Pillars of the Earth, or Stone Age
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Damien thanks take the reply. I was referring to Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery, didn't realize there was more than one. I appreciate the suggestion for Fresco but the theme isn't appealing. Do you think Egizia is a better choice than Stone Age since we already have Ninjato?

No biggie. I might not be the best person to ask for opinions, so I hope others will chip in as well.

Egizia has definitely more strategy than Stone Age. About which is better, this is really hard to answer. I own and like both games. I prefer Stone Age when playing with non-gamers, as it'e easy and has cool pieces. I prefer to play it with 4 players only though. As for Egizia, I play it if I want something strategic, although the game isn't that deep. Since you have Stone Age on ipad, you probably should just go with Egizia? But make sure you are aware about some of the complains in the two-player game, so look for some suggestions to improve the two-player experience.

What about these:
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (only co-op)
- Dungeon Petz (rulebook is daunting to read)
- Belfort
- Carson City (less dueling with 2-player)
- Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (not that difficult to learn)
- Spyrium (only played 2p once, ok, but as always, I like it with more)

Sorry if there's not much input. Please update us on what you're getting yeah.

EDITED: added spyrium to the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miller
United States
Cicero
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Stone Age with 2.

Glass Road is lighter then Agricola and plays well with 2.

And since you aren't adverse to dice (i.e Alien Frontiers) what about The Castles of Burgundy? Again, plays well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:

No biggie. I might not be the best person to ask for opinions, so I hope others will chip in as well.

Egizia has definitely more strategy than Stone Age. About which is better, this is really hard to answer. I own and like both games. I prefer Stone Age when playing with non-gamers, as it'e easy and has cool pieces. I prefer to play it with 4 players only though. As for Egizia, I play it if I want something strategic, although the game isn't that deep. Since you have Stone Age on ipad, you probably should just go with Egizia? But make sure you are aware about some of the complains in the two-player game, so look for some suggestions to improve the two-player experience.

What about these:
- Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island (only co-op)
- Dungeon Petz (rulebook is daunting to read)
- Belfort
- Carson City (less dueling with 2-player)
- Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar (not that difficult to learn)
- Spyrium (only played 2p once, ok, but as always, I like it with more)

Sorry if there's not much input. Please update us on what you're getting yeah.

EDITED: added spyrium to the list.

I own Robinson and Dungeon Petz, was looking for something a little lighter that plays in about an hour. I was going to order Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small since that's designed for two and the animal theme might appeal to my girlfriend. I hear good things about Tzolkin, I'll watch some videos, not big on the wild west theme to try Carson City. Belfort never seemed that interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
A lot of people seem to enjoy Stone Age with two, but to me it feels a little scripted.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuronaut wrote:
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
A lot of people seem to enjoy Stone Age with two, but to me it feels a little scripted.

This.

I get that feeling from the digital version. Is Tzolk'in a better choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme=Dungeon Lords
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More of a side comment, but those games are too conceptually close to one another for me to suggest adding another (LoWD, Stone Age, Ninjato). Stone Age, tough is known to play well with 2p. Age of Discovery is one of my favorites, but I haven't played it with 2p.

I'd give another vote for Keyflower. It provides a different way of thinking with how each color works and competes separately. Firenze is also a good and colorful mid/light-weight eurogame for 2p.
And don't dismiss Agricola yet (though it does take longer), precisely in terms of theme is one of the most charming ones I've played. Plus, I doubt farming forms actual part of your reality

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Egizia is oop

Stoneage is fine with 2

+1 Glassroad for 2

Castles of Burgundy is another id suggest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the comment questioning whether farming is a part of their reality. I'm rolling on the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Discovery is a fantastic game, and still really keeps the pressure on to work great with 2 players, in a way that many games (including Lords of Waterdeep, Pillars of the Earth, Alien Frontiers, and even much as I love it Stone Age ) don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
humbleroots wrote:
Theme=Dungeon Lords

Glad you brought this up. I love Vlaada and just played Dungeon Pets and thought it was amazing. This might hold us over for a while, is Dungeon Lords heavier? I was going to order Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small as a lighter alternative for when we don't have time for DP

Osirus wrote:
Age of Discovery is a fantastic game, and still really keeps the pressure on to work great with 2 players, in a way that many games (including Lords of Waterdeep, Pillars of the Earth, Alien Frontiers, and even much as I love it Stone Age ) don't.

I am leaning towards hunting down a copy of Age of Empires, thanks for all the feedback and reassurance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Phillips
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played AoE with 2 players, but I really enjoy it, and the way it integrates theme is one of the things I like best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Fortuna wrote:
I have never played AoE with 2 players, but I really enjoy it, and the way it integrates theme is one of the things I like best.

I've mostly played with two, and it's great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So for those curious I have decided on Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery but will wait for reprint coming later this year. In the mean time I ordered Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small for something lighter for after work nights.

What I would like to know is if Dungeon Lords fills a void in my collection. I really love Vlaada Chvátil's designs and after finally getting around to playing Dungeon Petz it has peeked my interest. I originally didn't think I needed both (jones theory) plus I worry Lords is too heavy. DP turned out to be easier to learn than I though but it takes a while to play and the decisions are what makes it tough. How does Lords compare? Is there anything else out there like it? Does it play well with two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords is an odd game, but rather than wax philosophical about its ups and downs, I will say I would really not recommend it with two.

EDIT: And I say this as a huge Vlaada fan, who loves Through the Ages (Great for 2!) and Galaxy Trucker (Not for 2!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.