Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Pokémon Trading Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: New Player, Question: Which color/energy work well together? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jman P
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
My Nephew and I just started plying. I want to get into the competitive scene soon. I have a ton of questions, but right now I'm wondering what Color Energies work well together? (I'd like to start here, and work my way out) Also are there any websites that are helpful with putting decks together competitively etc?

Any other tips would be welcomed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marauder / media
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, thats a tough question, since you usually pick a certain color which you want to play and add other tech-pokémon for their abilities or attacks. Mr.Mime which is psychic ("purple") fits into every deck which needs it's bench proteced or Sableye (dark - "black") which pulls out items from your discard pile for a "black" energy.

Websites you should visit are:

- http://thetopcut.net/ has some great Videos by Pooka. Check out the latest series "building on a budget". Especially good for beginners!

- http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/forum-deck-garage is a great forum for decks and ideas.

- http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page looking for a card description or an image of it? Go to the bulbapedia.

- http://www.sixprizes.com/ has some very good articles.

Still more questions? Keep 'em comin'
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jman P
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Hey thanks much for the links. They are helpful. I still have a million questions I never looked at a Pokemon card and now I'm trying to learn it all right now...it's a little overwhelming!

I do have one question (well maybe two or three) I'm wanting to put together a deck for both my Nephew and myself. I was wanting to put together a blue deck with Squirtle/Blastoise... and then to my surprise I found out that this is apparently a good deck! It looks like a lot of people are saying that this deck cannot be played successfully without tropical beach? Why is that? Also I noticed it that there are some on eBay that cost $200.00 and some that cost like $6-7. Is there a difference between the two?

My nephew likes Green so I looked into green decks, Apparently the Virizion/Genesect deck is highly popular. It looks like that would cost $200.00 to put together! Is this the case for most decks? Is there a way around this or is this a game that is simply going to cost hundreds of dollars?

One of those links sent me too a Building on a budget where I found a Green Ninjask/Shedinja deck. Is this a good deck?

Is it possible for me to build a Blastoise deck affordably or do I have to shell out hundreds of dollars for this beach card?

Sorry if my questions are a little much. Thanks again for the links!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marauder / media
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
teamcyclops wrote:
Hey thanks much for the links. They are helpful. I still have a million questions I never looked at a Pokemon card and now I'm trying to learn it all right now...it's a little overwhelming!

Yeah, there is lots of stuff around the Pokémon CCG...

teamcyclops wrote:

I do have one question (well maybe two or three) I'm wanting to put together a deck for both my Nephew and myself. I was wanting to put together a blue deck with Squirtle/Blastoise...

Great choice! Blastoise/Keldeo/Black Kyurem is a very popular and powerfull deck. It's weak to green, so it took a hit lateley from Virzion, I don't know how good the match-up against Virizion works, but you should find out on the pokebeach forums.

teamcyclops wrote:

It looks like a lot of people are saying that this deck cannot be played successfully without tropical beach? Why is that?

Blastoise is a deck which relys on evolution. You need 2 to 3 turns to setup before you can attack with full force. The setup is a lot easier with "Tropical Beach" - you forfeit your attack and draw up to seven new cards.
"Tropical Beach" really is a very good and very rare card. I don't own one

teamcyclops wrote:

Also I noticed it that there are some on eBay that cost $200.00 and some that cost like $6-7. Is there a difference between the two?

Huh? Thats strange! Maybe it is a different language version? French/spanish/german? Be careful!
"Tropical Beach" was a gift for all participants of the 2012 World Championship and hasn't been released in any other set. It really is rare!

teamcyclops wrote:

My nephew likes Green so I looked into green decks, Apparently the Virizion/Genesect deck is highly popular. It looks like that would cost $200.00 to put together! Is this the case for most decks? Is there a way around this or is this a game that is simply going to cost hundreds of dollars?

The Blastoise deck and the Virizion/Genesect deck are considered "Tier 1" - stuff to win championships with. The decklists are highly optimized for maximum consistence and damageoutput. Of course you could leave some of the most expensive stuff out of your deck and just check out how far you and your nephew will get. Not every one plays the ideal deck in a tournament

teamcyclops wrote:

One of those links sent me too a Building on a budget where I found a Green Ninjask/Shedinja deck. Is this a good deck?

Very difficult question
Ninjask/Shedinja is a very specific deck, since it tries to deny your opponent prizes. I'd say it is fun to play, it's not a deck you see very often, but it also requires some amount of skill to be played correctly.

teamcyclops wrote:

Is it possible for me to build a Blastoise deck affordably or do I have to shell out hundreds of dollars for this beach card?

I'd start this way: get a decent affordable Blastoise deck together, look up a Pokémon league in your area and try it out. You will notice soon, how good the deck works, where you make mistakes during play or how to find weak spots in your opponents play. Some leagues let you play with proxy-cards - just tell them that your fairy-energy or any other useless card in your deck is a "Tropical Beach" and check out if the deck gets significantly better
If it does, you know what you have to buy

teamcyclops wrote:

Sorry if my questions are a little much. Thanks again for the links!

That's what a forum is for!
First rule: have fun with Pokémon CCG! And check out the topcut.net page again - pooka just posted a new budget deck!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i second the recommendation on finding a local league. plenty of people there to play against and give you advice on tweaking your deck.

full art cards can be a lot more expensive, but $200? sheesh, ebay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.