Jim O'Connor
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People have become a bit confused by a few of the cards in Series #1 & #2.

There are various Keywords that don't appear to have a purpose.

These cards may not make sense right away for a simple reason:

I read all of the Baum books before starting the game and made notes for the entire original series, even his on-Oz "Wonder Tales".

If you read the rules carefully, you will find that I urge players to mix cards from the pre-set StoryPacks, not just within the same series, but from other series of cards.

The KickStarter campaign allowed me to get both Series #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and Series #2 - The Marvelous Land of Oz published together.

The Keyword "Historic" is found in a handful of cards in Series #1, but "Historic" doesn't get "used" by other cards until Series #2.

"Meling Away" makes mention of Baked Characters and Objects, but none exist in either series. However, in book #14 The Emerald City of Oz, the Town of Bunbury is introduced, hidden in the forrests of Quadling Country. There the townsfolks are all living pateries. If you splash water on pasteries, they tend to melt.

I have made a focused effort to make sure that all cards in all current (and hopefully future) series are forward & backward compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks for clarifying this, but the question does still remain: Concerning the end game conditions, are 'Historic' characters the same as 'Prime'? In other words, can the Wicked Witch of the East (or Nick Chopper, etc.) be moved to 'The End' card?

We are playing it as such, but just wanted to make sure.

Also - and I do understand this is terribly presumptuous - but is it your long range goal to cover the entire Baum series?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Connor
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:

Thanks for clarifying this, but the question does still remain: Concerning the end game conditions, are 'Historic' characters the same as 'Prime'? In other words, can the Wicked Witch of the East (or Nick Chopper, etc.) be moved to 'The End' card?

We are playing it as such, but just wanted to make sure.

Also - and I do understand this is terribly presumptuous - but is it your long range goal to cover the entire Baum series?

"Prime" is the only type of card that can be used to end the game.

I would like to cover all the Oz (and even non-Oz) books by Baum, and maybe Thompson's as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrionsBell wrote:
"Prime" is the only type of card that can be used to end the game.

I would like to cover all the Oz (and even non-Oz) books by Baum, and maybe Thompson's as well.

Ugh.

I know that Mixing & Matching is the ideal. I've already gutted and combined the first two story packs after playing them individually. I admire the hell out of this game's potential, so please do not take this as an attack:

On its own, this further illustrates that Story Pack #2 wasn't put together very well - at least in this 'final' form. Perhaps you had it properly balanced and something changed, I don't know.

Story Pack #1 has 14 Prime characters. A number right around there provides excellent balance in a two player game.

Story Pack #2 (if you count the misprinted Witch of the North) has 7.

If Story Pack #2 is played straight up as written, you end up with a terribly frustrating experience. In our one game with it, after cycling through the deck one and a half times, I ended up drawing 2 Prime characters the entire game; the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda. My wife cruelly archived the WWoW at every possible opportunity, which left me with Glinda as my only possibility to end the game. And I wasn't about to lose those 7 Vitality points.

My point is that each pack really needed to have enough Primes for everybody playing. 7 isn't enough for two people, much less the advertised four that can play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

RE: Thompson.

I've never been a fan of Thompson's work, but she did create some fairly interesting characters. A handful of her Oz books are in the public domain, thankfully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.