Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » Variants

Subject: Play Dicemasters like Quarriors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Dudley
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I demoed this game and liked it but don't like the collectable aspect of it.
What about the possibility of using these dice and playing it with Quorrior rules?
Or an overload aspect like LOTR dice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How will that change the collectable nature of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you could just collect the expansions as they come out and not bother with the boosters. Just as I'm fairly sure people will start selling excess dice and cards on ebay soon. I would assume if they aren't rares, they will sell them fairly cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just buy 2 starters and BAM! Ready to go without any random pulls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook does have drafting rules for two people picking teams from the same pool of cards and dice. That kind of evens the playing field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as mentioned in most of the play test regarding rarity is that, unlike most collectible games, rarity does not mean power. So the collectible aspect may not be required to be competitive. Great for gamers, puzzling when it comes to sales and marketing. When rarity equals power it generally equals sales. Since the people looking for the super rares will likely be looking for them to complete a set and not to compete at a higher level, the cost for these should remain low. And the need to own them for play could well be null.

This is a darn good thing for the consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because it can be collected, doesn't mean you have to collect/trade/compete with other people. Easy to buy as much as you want, then have both players pick from what you have to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ciamagicman wrote:
I demoed this game and liked it but don't like the collectable aspect of it.
What about the possibility of using these dice and playing it with Quorrior rules?
Or an overload aspect like LOTR dice?

I had kind of assumed someone would make custom cards that could be used with Quarriors at some point, kind of like how the community is still making Corrupted cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Worth
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It depends on what you mean by play like Quarriors.

If you mean use the Quarrior rules, it might work but it would be somewhat strange. In MDM the scoring is centered around attacking and the abilities reflect that. In Quarriors, you score by surviving (defending). I would guess some abilities would have to reinterpreted.

If you mean just set up the game like Quarriors, ie. create a completely common pool on heros from which you can purchase. Then I would say yes you could play that way without any changes. The two dice per card might be a little frustrating but I wouldn't think any more so than any other set up with one base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Rules to Variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Dudley
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the input guys.
The idea of scoring Glory would not be available in this game as well.
Unless you assign Glory to different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.