Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Quark
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started playing Star Realms, and, inspired by Jaipur, I'm wondering how well it would work to allow any player to acquire a card from the trade row by replacing it with something of equal or greater cost from their hand. Being able to quickly change your deck composition to emphasize different abilities at different points in the game sounds fun. But I could also see it taking away from what little strategy the game has by encouraging you to always buy the most expensive card regardless of deck synergy. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
kubalaa wrote:
I just started playing Star Realms, and, inspired by Jaipur, I'm wondering how well it would work to allow any player to acquire a card from the trade row by replacing it with something of equal or greater cost from their hand. Being able to quickly change your deck composition to emphasize different abilities at different points in the game sounds fun. But I could also see it taking away from what little strategy the game has by encouraging you to always buy the most expensive card regardless of deck synergy. Thoughts?

This fundamentally changes the game's resource economy. This is similar to saying that all cards provide trade points equal to their cost. This makes the buying of trade-centred cards much worse: Trade-pod, Trade-bot, Explorer, ect...
It also means that you don't have to be very thoughtful when you buy cards. You can simply remove the card from your deck later. So this also devalues cards that have the scrap ability.

There is nothing wrong with your idea in general, I just think you need to design a game with that in mind. Star Realms, as printed, will not work well with that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you tried it? This is a simple variant and the game is fast, it seems like you could see if it works pretty quickly.

I disagree with JonBen that this makes trade much worse since the variant doesn't appear to let you add trade in your hand to the value of your swapped card. If you never buy trade it will be difficult/impossible to buy larger ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Quark
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slacks wrote:
Have you tried it? This is a simple variant and the game is fast, it seems like you could see if it works pretty quickly.

I'm hoping to try it out tomorrow, but I've only played four games (my friends likewise) so I'm not confident enough with the standard strategy to tell if this variant breaks or changes it significantly when we play.

slacks wrote:
I disagree with JonBen that this makes trade much worse since the variant doesn't appear to let you add trade in your hand to the value of your swapped card. If you never buy trade it will be difficult/impossible to buy larger ships.

Yes. It's also important to note that you can only trade cards from your hand, so you're losing the opportunity to play a card by trading it. I'm hoping this is enough of a cost so the decision to trade is never an easy one.

I agree with JonBen that this slightly devalues the scrap ability -- for example, you could lean your deck by trading non-scrappable cards for scrappable ones and then scrapping them later -- but I didn't think this would make a big difference in practice. This loophole could be fixed by only allowing scrappable cards to be traded, though this might limit the variant too much for it to feel different.

Another effect of this variant is that it's much easier to keep your opponent from getting the cards they want by buying or trading for them yourself.

Overall I'm hoping that, far from encouraging careless buying, this will add strategy and reduce luck by giving you more options when the trade deck isn't stacked your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Schwaller
msg tools
slacks wrote:

"Yes. It's also important to note that you can only trade cards from your hand, so you're losing the opportunity to play a card by trading it. I'm hoping this is enough of a cost so the decision to trade is never an easy one."

So, would the card go into your hand or into your discard like normal? It may not be too overpowered if it goes into your discard.

"I agree with JonBen that this slightly devalues the scrap ability -- for example, you could lean your deck by trading non-scrappable cards for scrappable ones and then scrapping them later -- but I didn't think this would make a big difference in practice. This loophole could be fixed by only allowing scrappable cards to be traded, though this might limit the variant too much for it to feel different."

Hmmm...

"Overall I'm hoping that, far from encouraging careless buying, this will add strategy and reduce luck by giving you more options when the trade deck isn't stacked your way."

May give this a shot. We have played this game consistently for the last week and I dont want it to get stale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always make it so you would have to trade the value of the card +1. So if you wanted to pick up a 4 you would have to get rid of a 5 to do so. Used things generally don't sell for full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.