Bullfrogs» Forums » Sessions

Subject: first plays rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll preface this by noting the guys I game with Sundays are generally mini wargamers, although the last while we have tried out a few PnP games(Sword & Sail, Iron Horse, New Good Gremlins etc).

I really enjoyed Bullfrogs. I thought there was some definite strategies that emerge quickly;

• use bullfrogs early on a three pad, where it can be saved;

• try to hold a 4 action card until your last turn if you can to give you more final play options;

• be ready to sink a few lily pads during game by way of a tie to thwart another player scoring it;

* use sabotage to move a third player's piece onto a pad you control to ensure majority.

The game was easy to grasp, a bonus.

Games were quick, so I might suggest playing to 100-points rather than a one-off game.

My son knocked Bullfrogs a bit because in 4-player it is hard to work a strategy (too much happens to card field before you get next turn). That is true of most 4-player games, but is pronounced here. Bullfrogs is generally analyzing a given board, reacting to  the circumstance to best advantage and repeating. You cannot plan ahead at all.

That all said I liked Bullfrogs since everyone seems to stay competitive.

So, I would rate it an 8 after 2 plays.

My buds were less excited. None of them rated it as high as Sword & Sail as an example. I too like S&S although  it carries a flaw that one tends to win based on capturing one of 3 easy countries out of the 7/8 in play.

So we ended up discussing cost/value of games a bit.

I tend to look at $25/30 dollars as a price where if 4 players get a good night of game play and you enjoyed it, but never play again, it's still a solid value.

I reason that since aA movie for couple hours would cost us $50-plus

A round of golf $150-plus.

So if I saw BF demoed at a Con and a vendor had it for $25-ish I would see it as a solid value.

The other 3 were not so ready to say yes to that though.

I do plan to try a 2-player with better half this week, I suspect 2-player will offer more strategic planning possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Zuleger
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisinbear wrote:

My son knocked Bullfrogs a bit because in 4-player it is hard to work a strategy (too much happens to card field before you get next turn).

I never really like this argument against any game. In Bullfrogs, at least, every player is in the same situation. So you can mess with their strategy as much as they can mess with yours. Adapting to changing conditions is part of war. To quote the great Nick Fury, "You ever been in a war, Councilman? In a firefight? Did you feel an over-abundance of control?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Daniels
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to defend my 25 year old son, but coming from a mini game table, you make choices along the lines if I do 'A' he will likely respond by doing 'B' and then that sets me up to do 'C'.

In any 4-player since there are 3 'B' to be played out, you cannot plan your 'C' move.

In a battle game, and you are battling for lily pad supremacy here, that will be viewed as taking away from the game by some.

I get it's more react to situation, take what you can and hope it's enough, but controlling situations is part of good games too.

Depends what you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.