Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In three weeks time, we will have the prerelease of Journey into Nyx, the concluding set of Theros block. News has been very tight until this point, but with the opening of spoiler weeks, there are a lot of highlights to check out:

First, the returning mechanics... from the new mechanics page from www.magicthegathering.com, we have enchantment creatures...

Speaking of fury, I watched Captain America: Winter Soldier today; very nice.

... bestow...

... heroic...

... scry...

... (back from hiatus) monstrosity...

... and devotion and the gods. More on that last bit later; lets get these new mechanics out of the way.

If this doesn't convince you that Ajani is in the set, I guess nothing will.

On Game Day, you can get this memorial to Elspeth. I guess everyone in Theros forgave her...

Mike Flores spoke about the history and strategy of symmetrical effects, then gives us this preview for us to test...

Ethan Fleischer talks about his stint as the lead designer of JIN and gives us a nice montage of the black gods of death...

Mark Rosewater also talks about JIN, but also reminds us that he knows what everyone wants, and has kind of saved the best for last... (Also, high-fives all around... almost.)

Oh, I almost forgot about devotion. On reddit, we have the first of the five enemy color-pair minor gods...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Iroas looks very potent. Small curve Boros aggro, with him at the top. Falter effect is very relevant in hoard decks and no worries about the creatures get blocked. Good even without enough devotion to make him a creature. Don't work well with Boros Reckoner, but makes Satyr Firedrinker look even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today there is a lot of goodies from @OracleofTheros. Combined with today's Arcana, here are the rares of the intro packs... (also, probably those of the prerelease)

Also from the Oracle is something disgusting...

Doesn't help OMRSTPLRLCNSWMTCTHTALCNEE like Xantid Swarm, but 1GG to the first guy to count the number of leeches on the art (and post a pic to prove the count).

The official Magic: the Gathering twitter feed also has two gods duking it out...

Someone on Tumblr asked how they could be twins? Sadly, Maury already retired...

Gavin Verhey features a nice W/B creature to go along with the Atheros theme...

Bruce Richard gives us a new take on a classic symmetrical card. (The "dictates" are probably going to be a cycle...)

I guess it is one minor god a day. StarCityGames.com presents the god of storms...

As much as a minor-god-a-day sounds nice, I wouldn't mind Ajani on Wednesday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny S
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
Blades in the Dark by John Harper - twitter.com/john_harper
badge
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -CS Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's just me being a noob, but Keranos looks AWESOME to me - that's a pretty sweet Enchantment for 5 CMC, and with the potential to also be an indestructible 6/5 on turn 7?! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Paella
United States
East Aurora
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psytrooper wrote:
Maybe it's just me being a noob, but Keranos looks AWESOME to me - that's a pretty sweet Enchantment for 5 CMC, and with the potential to also be an indestructible 6/5 on turn 7?! surprise

It is a good card but unlikely to see much play in standard. Cards with a 5+ casting cost usually need to have an enormous impact when played, and while this is good, it doesn't do anything when played. Due to how MtG games play out and the starting hand of 7, 5+cc cards need to be devastating when played or game finishers, often regardless of board state (Elspeth, Gray Merchant, Sphinx's Revelation, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's Wednesday, and we get to see the planeswalker of the set. Before that, let's get the other stuff out of the way. First, this was actually revealed yesterday, and it is a Godsend.

There's also the remaining scry lands.

Marshall Sutcliffe continues to give us cycles of enchantment creatures, and here's some examples of things that bestow. (We already got Gnarled Scarhide this Monday.)

Mike Cannon gives us a blue heroic rare that... well, at least it is better than Mindreaver.

And today's Uncharted Realms (written by Kelly Digges) gives us an insight to Ajani and his relationship with the leonin in Theros, how old he really is, his relationship with Elspeth, and... oh, you wanted a card? Here...

Truth be told, since the departure of Mike Flores until recently, I'm usually not excited about Thursdays except for the Sealed Deck exercise. I wonder what the previews there would be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Magic wrote:
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
-8: You gain 100 life.

Seriously, i would punch you in the face if you played that ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just play Skullcrack in response and do your best evil mastermind laugh. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Skullcrap's for wimps. False Cure for the slam dunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I knew there was a better card out there, I just couldn't remember which one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was supposed to be a simple thanksgiving dinner from a major company turned into an all-nighter that could've ended earlier if it weren't for the somewhat obnoxious band and their crude attempts to extend the show. (To be fair, it was fun for the first half hour... and then it started going downhill from there.) First, let's get yesterday's cards out of the way.

From SvMTV, keeping the party going...

There may be a cycle of rare strive instants. mtg-jp has one...

... while ChannelFireball has one of the others.

Replacing the "v" with a "b" is also a good name for the card...

Back at www.magicthegathering.com, Jacob Van Lunen shows us why dodging a hammer is not enough...

Adam Styborski gives us the mysterious god...

For today, more previews galore. The APAC and EU Facebook communities have different flavors of card draw...

Maro's Twitter has a special card for everyone... just don't look into its eyes.

Luis Scott-Vargas gives us something to clean all that brass.

Brian David-Marshall gives us the dictate that replaces Heartbeat of Spring.

Sam Stoddard attacks with the might of ten thousand ships...

Depending on what you've watched recently, you either thought of Troy or 300.

And on the Magic Show, your worst fears...

That's it for this week. There's still two more gods on the radar, but what else lies beyond the veil remains a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I love/hate Eidolon of the Great Revel. Pyrostatic Pillar on a body, what's not to like? Then again, I play UR Storm in Modern...it's a card I don't want to see on the opponent's side of the table.

And yay, strictly better City of Brass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:

Nay on 'Strictly Better', City of Brass is just damage, which is often a lot easier to deal with than lifeloss.

Still, a huge huge yay to them simply printing a true rainbow land for the first time is a long long time. My Cities of Brass and Gemstone Mines have needed some new friends for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
JockiB wrote:

Nay on 'Strictly Better', City of Brass is just damage, which is often a lot easier to deal with than lifeloss.

True that, however...would you really ever go out of your way to prevent the damage from a City of Brass? But then again, when was the last time someone tapped a City for you in order for you to take the damage? So "stictly better" is indeed debatable, for all practical purposes they're the same card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PAX East gave us a lot of goodies. First, there are some other cards from the week left over...

From ManaDeprived.com, if only four-panel comics can fit into the art of a card...

From the French MagicCorporation, another lord, but for another tribe...

PAX East itself revealed a lot of interesting stuff. First, there is the foreboding (perhaps foreshadowing, as well) trailer...

People right now are placing bets on whether a planeswalker will die at the end of this block, and who it will be...

... as well as these cards.

Yep, it looks like Inspired is in the set after all...

It is only a matter of time before someone plays this, then shouts "Hail Hydra!"

Back at magicthegathering.com, Mike Flores asks how low can you go... (to pay for a 5/5 flyer?)

Mark Rosewater's preview has you seeing double...

JIN Lead Developer Dave Humpherys gives us a new take (in new colors) on Shadowmage Infiltrator...

Finally, at GatheringMagic, we have the last of the gods...

With all the expected mythics out, one wonders what is left to preview... guess we'll just have to wait and see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed out on the remaining spoilers due to a snafu with my ISP. Still using emergency internet, so just enough to say that the full spoiler is now up, for those who didn't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.