Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is another variant to reduce the chaos when all players are rolling at the same time. This variant also gives more chance for players to work together & plan their strategy while others are rolling.

Special rules:

1) Choose a starting player randomly. Starting with the first player, each player rolls the dice in clockwise direction.

2) After rolling the dice, a player may choose which dice to use, which dice to keep & which die to reroll. Any dice used for actions (for movement or activating gems) are put aside & cannot be rolled again in this turn. A player may reroll any unused dice up to twice. After the third roll, he must use the dice or keep it for next turn. (For example, a player rolls two green, so he chooses to use the two green dice to place another tile. The player can now use, reroll or keep the remaining three dice in this turn.)

3) Once a player is done with his last roll. the next player to the left starts to roll the dice as above.

4) A non-active player play use his kept(unused) dice to help other players to remove curse or activate gems as in normal game. Once used, the dice are used-up & cannot be used until in next turn.

5) For one/two players, the game ends with one play of music as normal. For three to five players, the game is paused when the music ends. Players can take a break when the game is paused. After the break, play the music once again & continue the game. The game ends when the second play is completed.

6) For each time the door is closed in the music, all players must keep two to four gold masks depending on the number of doors the current room has. For example, if the room has three doors, any player in that room must keep three gold masks at the time the door is closed. Players in same room may combine their gold masks to meet this requirement. Any player who doesn't have enough gold masks kept will lose one die. (now players don't need to go back to starting room).

7) Instead of rolling keys to leave the temple, players needs to roll gold masks. The same rule applies for the number of gold masks needed to leave the temple as before (gems +1)

8) Each player now has special ability as below:
- Black player can roll six dice each turn (Team leader?)
- White player can roll only four dice each turn (Religious man?) but he is not affected by black masks(curse icon). In addition, he can use any gold mask rolled as wild icon by turning it into any icons he likes.
- Red player can roll five dice (Native guide?). He can turn any one die (except black mask) to torch in each turn.
- Blue player can roll five dice (Archeologist?). He can turn any one die (except black mask) to key in each turn.
- Green player can roll five dice (Running man?). He can turn any one die (except black mask) to running icon in each turn.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry, but you totally miss the point of the game. If you want a more ordered, calm game with more strategy I suggest you look for another game rather than try to fit this game into your group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting idea, though I think taking the simultaneous play removes a HUGE amount of the game's draw. And doubling the play time for 3-5 players may not go down well.

But, to the positives:
#6: This is a nice twist for not having to get back to the safe room. It would allow you to explore far away from the safe room and not worry about having to get back. So a nice idea this.

#8: I like the idea of differing player powers, that's a really nice twist.

Have you play tested these ideas at all? Would be interested to see how it plays, especially with the varying player numbers (though I don't think I personally would ever want to take out the simultaneous play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cheng
Hong Kong
Ma On Shan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This variant is still in real-time so players keep the tension to race with time. With each rolling at a time, it reduce chaos & enhances more chances to cooperate & stops players from cheating. The variable player powers also helps players to specialize & form strategy.

Yes it may take double the time but considering this only take 20+ minutes per game, it's still a lightning fast game comparing to other games.

I didn't test the variant yet. I wish the added player powers, no need to return to safe room for each section (but players still need to estimate the door closing time to get gold masks) & double game time will off-set the time loss on one rolling at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.