Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just moved in into a new apartment and surprisingly, there is no place to store food besides kitchen cabinets. Since I hardly have enough space for all my dishes, I won't store any food there. One of my friend has been shopping for condos lately and many of the new construction did not have any place to store food.

Which makes me wondering: Does people eat? From what I know, if you don't eat, you'll die, but you know with technology, maybe it's possible to survive without eating.

Anyways, I know that most people don't know how to cook these days and put everything in the microwave. But even then, you still need some products that you cannot really store in your fridge. Like for example:

Cererals, Chips, Cheese Macaroni, Dry Pasta, Cookies, Canned food, soups, bread, etc.

Else, maybe people are always eating at the restaurant which should dramatically increase their monthly fees. Or actually buy food every day that they will eat the same day and store almost nothing.

Sometimes, when you see new residential constructions and design, you seem to think that they forgot what are the basic human needs, you know like eating and sleeping, because it's the 2 things that gets cut first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
larienna wrote:
Does people eat?

Does they ever!

Quote:
...if you don't eat, you'll die, but you know with technology, maybe it's possible to survive without eating.

When the robots take over, and I get turned into a cyborg, I want to retain the ability to be able to taste and eat food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a small 'duplex' in the UK, and we don't have a lot of space for storage either... mostly we use some of the kitchen cupboards, the top of the fridge etc. Some stuff gets put into the 'conservatory' where we also have a utility area (washer/dryer). We do have a small under-stairs cupboard (aka a pantry) that opens from the kitchen, but unfortunately we're using that to store tools and other hardware items.

And, as Rudy says, until they upload my consciousness into a machine, I'll continue to eat food (at home, because we can't afford to eat out or get many takeaways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
People have time to prepare and cook food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I converted a hall closet into a pantry.

Get a towel rack and install it as an overhead rail for a pot rack. Hang the pots on "S" hooks. Unhangables can go right into the oven. Downsize and maximize space.

Frees up about half 3/4 your average cupboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a spot in the garage to build a pantry, unfortunately last summer, the mice found it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
How much food are you people trying to store away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
larienna wrote:
I have just moved in into a new apartment and surprisingly, there is no place to store food besides kitchen cabinets

My house has no place to store food besides kitchen cabinets.

So has every house I've live in.

I'm not quite sure I understand. You want a closet just to store food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:
I have just moved in into a new apartment and surprisingly, there is no place to store food besides kitchen cabinets

They're called pantries. Many houses have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Food is in the cabinets here. We have lots of cabinets. It works out fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

I know what they are, but why would they be such a necessity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Pour Away,Mein Host
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

A necessity? Maybe not. But, nice to keep all the dry/canned goods in one place rather than in a bunch of different kitchen cabinets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

My pantry also has the washer and dryer along with the standard dry food. But I have so much beer and water stuffed in there I can barely access anything.

All of my cabinets are used to store dishes, tupperware, pots, pans, and beer glasses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

A necessity? Maybe not. But, nice to keep all the dry/canned goods in one place rather than in a bunch of different kitchen cabinets.
And here I've been doing without a special food room for 38 years like a chump!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

They're called kitchens. Many houses have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

They're called kitchens. Many houses have them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thread. Didn't read it, though. It just is timely for me.

I bought a vintage bread box for my kitchen. It goes with my vintage kitchen table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

It comes down to how old your house is. My house, early 50s, has some cabinet space but not much. I bought a little cabinet to keep canned goods, my dishes, baking stuff and spices are in the cabinets above. Below is where I store the cooking hardware. Top of my fridge has my new, vintage bread box and a couple of things.

My old house (1910) had almost NO cabinet space (enough for dishes). It did have a pantry, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Buy less food more frequently

...unless you're planning for the apocalypse, but then I suppose that you would have an underground shelter with loads of storage space in that case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
Buy less food more frequently

In a perfect world I'd do this. If I had a nice market nearby with a butcher and seasonal veggies year 'round, then it would be heaven.

The issue that OP has, however, is with the dried and canned stuff, that takes up room yet can be stored almost indefinitely.

I can't imagine going to a market to buy a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/4 cup of maple syrup for my Sunday French Toast, so I buy a jar of cinnamon and a bottle of syrup. And I need space for that.
Plus, you can often buy one small can of something and pay more than if you buy the next larger size (in North America, at least). Buy bulk, save money. So instead of one box of macaroni, you get the bulk box for $2 more and store it until you need it.

I have a pantry, stuffed with food that I use regularly; rice, pasta, soups, spices, bags of dried beans, cereals, flour, crackers, chips & snacks, garbage bags, other wraps, and more.
I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I have lived in apartments and rental houses without pantries and I managed well enough, but it wasn't ideal. We bought a storage rack for one house that we rented because there were not enough cupboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't everybody just eat takeout these days? whistle

When I lived in an apartment I used one cabinet for spices, cereal and other dry goods (mac & cheese, taco shells, etc.). There was a drawer under the stove for pots and pans (and the broiler rack).

Fresh fruit and vegetables were on the counter so I would eat them. I had very few cans, but if I did it was because I was making chili within a day or two. The fridge held everything else, and I rarely had more food stored than I could eat in a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ferdinando Woicickoski
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
TonyJF wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
larienna wrote:

How large is your kitchen?
Mine does not have enough room for even my dishes and pans, i have to store a good portion on the living room. So if I did not had a pantry I would have to keep my food in the same room I keep my books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to give you an idea of what I had, here are 2 pictures of my previous appartment food storage. It was an old building so it was a walk-in storage. As you can see I use around 3 shelves of food, so walk-in was not a necessity, but having a normal cabinet for food would have been nice.

In my new apartment I have 13 cabinet door + 4 drawner which is respectable. I will need to give away some dishes or item to make it all fit in. I also have enough counter space only for doing the dishes. So I don't have space for my toaster over. We are thinking of moving the table out of the kitchen (still essential to play board games laugh) and using a kitchen island with 2 bar stool in the kitchen to gain extra storage and counter space.

We had a closet close to the kitchen that we could convert has a food cabinet, but we still needed space for ladders and cleaning material, so I am not sure it can be done. We still have a lot of stuff to store in the closets.

Else at ikea, there are little solutions for food storage besides a metal rack where you see the food. Else we thought of using this:

Which offer various storage solutions like slide in buckets or doors. It could also make the furniture usable in another room. We might be able to place the toaster over on the top shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Cooper
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have room in your dining or breakfast area to put a hutch, buffet, or even a armoir for eating and serving dishes (or even the odd big pots and pans that get used once or twice a year)?

That's what folks I know who have small kitchens have done to free up cabinet space.

Sometimes a nice buffet or hutch can be found at garage sales and thrift stores for quite a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I have food everywhere in my small studio appartment, and books, piles and piles of books and games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.