Subject: Question: Is this AI movement rule superfluous or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted some of my questions here but people told me that Agent S answers questions when posted as single queries, so here I am posting each question in its own thread.

So here goes:
It says at page 35, 8.9 Alien movement:
At the end of its movement, an alien may redeploy to any hex in the destination area, to end its movement adjacent to agents.

and then followed by:

Aliens entering the area of an agent move to an adjacent hex to engage the agent in melee combat.

What is the point of this last rule exactly? If the alien enters an area which has an agent is it not 100% guaranteed that it would be already adjacent to that agent since aliens move center to center?
Can you point to me a scenario where the above rule is needed?

Why it mentions MELEE combat specifically? Is it a misprint or it means something else?
It seems that this rule has no real use and the first rule completely covers the same case. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the way I understand this:
Case 1) An alien can move to an area and redeploy within that same area to be adjacent and engage an agent that is in a hex next to that area (the agent is in a different area from the alien).
Case 2) Center hex occupied: An alien moves into an area that already has an agent that is engaged with an alien (in the center hex), the new alien moves adjacent to the agent so that both aliens are engaged with the agent.

On another thread the designer stated that even ranged aliens, such as the Xeno-Beta, move to engage agents (when directed to move toward agents). I think that mention of "melee" combat was an oversight, since it is all aliens that do this not just melee aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.