Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the mythos of Cthulhu (yes I'm part of his cult, HAIL CTHULHU), and so I acquired this game as the core set was pretty cheap but mainly for review purposes.

Now I already played Android Netrunner and go mad with their expansions but that's because (a) I like it better and (b) more human opponents exist with their own decks. I don't know anyone who plays CoC though.

Therefore CoC is just going to be a casual game but I'd like to design maybe 3-4 basic two-faction decks to have in the box so when I introduce a player to it, they can choose their own deck based on their style. None to have more power than the other if possible - just different playstyles.

Now I read that the core set isn't that good on it's own so maybe it's worth grabbing a deluxe expansion, maybe Secrets of Arkham or Seeker of Knowledge whatever it was called.

Will this work? There's a chance if it doesn't I'll simply trade it away after a review is done (I would have preferred to have gotten Lord of the Rings LCG as it's one player and co-operative, but the core set seems to be sold out in the UK which is a pain (anyone know when it's reprinted?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secrets of Arkham and Terror in Venice are both all-faction boxes. Terror in Venice includes cards for The Order of the Silver Twilight, a new faction that isn't featured in either the Core Set or Secrets in Arkham.

If you buy both of those sets, you'll have a decent enough card base. You'll only have one copy of each of the Core Set cards though, so if you like the game you may want to invest in a second one.

From there you can just search for cards that compliment your deck and pick up the Asylum Packs that suit you.

If you're picking up Secrets of Arkham, make sure you get the recent revised box, as it features three copies of every card, as opposed to the old box which only had two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a reprint of the Core Set released to the US market just a month or two ago (new box, contents unchanged). I don't know how or when that affects UK availability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Core set basically comes with seven half-decks and a small amount of Neutral cards. So, to make decks you pick two factions, shuffle them together, and add half the Neutral cards to each deck.

So going by this method you can only actually have two decks made up at a time due to a shortage of the Neutral cards. You can omit the Neutrals or spread them thinning across multiple decks if you want.

But, you'll get better decks with more cards to choose from. Generally the expansions that a new player would look at for their first purchases include:

1. A second Core set so they will have 2x of all these cards, yielding more consistent decks
2. Secrets of Arkham - has an equal number of new cards for all the Core factions
3. Terror in Venice - also has an equal number of cards for everyone but also includes cards for the Silver Twilight faction that was added later on.
4. The Shifting Sands asylum pack, to get the current set of story cards used for tournaments

For your purposes I would probably suggest Terror in Venice first, Secrets of Arkham second, and if you want more then look at a second Core set. Shifting Sands isn't really important unless you want to play in tournaments.

The reason I'm recommending Terror in Venice over Secrets of Arkham is although both are very good expansions Terror in Venice has a lot more of a theme to it. It concentrates on the Day/Night mechanic and Conspiracies, both of which help make for some more flavorful and interesting decks for new players.

There was a thread not long ago on building decks from a Core + Terror in Venice that you might find useful as well:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1136290/deckbuilding-wit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beginning to wonder if it was a wise move to acquire it now! Why couldn't LOTR have been in stock?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
farmergiles wrote:
Beginning to wonder if it was a wise move to acquire it now!

For what reason? From your initial post it sounds like you're just planning to play within your group so it doesn't matter if other people have big collections.

Nor does it really matter all that much if you want to play with just one Core. The effects would be:
1. Your decks would be less focused than if they could contain multiples of important cards
2. Your Neutral cards would be spread thin

Neither of these is all that bad, but if you want a more flavorful and focused deck it's easy to get that by adding a deluxe expansion or a second Core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:
I'm not going to say anything directly about the game as I fear the wrath but there are LCGs that feel a little...more refined.

I'm not sure LotR is directly comparable to any of the other LCGs, it would be like claiming that your mountain bike doesn't feel like it rides the same as your car. It might be true but it's still not really that useful a comparison. Mainly LotR is designed to produce a very different sort of gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're down with Yog-Sothothery and like the idea of constructed-deck play, you really ought to give this game a fair shake. It affords an amazing variety of play, and games can be really tense. Whether your idea of the preferred theme runs to gothic ghoulies, intrepid occultists, labyrinthine dreamlands, or tentacular gotterdammerung, you can make that happen by getting the cards that suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
farmergiles wrote:
Beginning to wonder if it was a wise move to acquire it now!

For what reason? From your initial post it sounds like you're just planning to play within your group so it doesn't matter if other people have big collections.

Nor does it really matter all that much if you want to play with just one Core. The effects would be:
1. Your decks would be less focused than if they could contain multiples of important cards
2. Your Neutral cards would be spread thin

Neither of these is all that bad, but if you want a more flavorful and focused deck it's easy to get that by adding a deluxe expansion or a second Core.

That's ok then, I just wouldn't want to spend too much outlay on it or too much time deckbuilding for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you speaking specifically of playing with just Core sets, or the games overall?

I would agree that later Core sets are better designed for out-of-the-box play. Something to keep in mind is that the Cores for Cthulhu and Thrones basically came from the old CCG days, these weren't designed from scratch as new games and it took time for FFG to break out of the CCG way of thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're all going to have our favorites, but all the LCGs seem to have their fans. Also, I don't have enough experience to adequately judge all of them, probably few people do.

All I can say is that I like Call of Cthulhu best so far. I also like Netrunner but I feel it's also vastly over-hyped. I occasionally play Lord of the Rings but it doesn't produce the same feel and I'm generally not as interested in it specifically because it's a co-op. The objective set building system in Star Wars is distasteful to me, so I don't favor that game. I've played some Game of Thrones and it seems like a solid game from what I've seen. One thing I like less about it is that the decks are so homogenous (largely due to not being able to mix factions I feel). I don't feel like I have enough experience with Warhammer: Invasion to judge it, I've only played twice.

I guess I'm not sure what "well developed" really means or if it even has any objective meaning beyond "the one I like best".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the Subject line, yes. CoC is easy to pick up for a new player. I figured it out, so it couldn't be that bad.

There are some mechanics that are a bit confusing at first, but fortunately you have an excellent resource here in this forum. People are always willing to answer questions and you can be sure that the answers you get are authoritative as among the people who post here are former World Champions and people who were involved in the development of the game.

If you like the Cthulhu mythos you should play this game. It really lives up to the theme.

I recently obtained the Android: Netrunner core set, which is a really great game, enjoying a flush of popularity right now. But so far, I like Call of Cthulhu better. Maybe I'm just a monster guy.

Play it. Have fun. Everything else will sort itself out in its time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should keep me entertained till LOTR LCG comes back in stock! Being able to solo that game means it's a must buy. But will be cool to get an LCG review on the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.