Subject: Numbered Location List rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all

I only received my copy of Saturday and have only played once so far but it looks like I'm gonna love this game.

But...there's always a but, eh...I thought it would have been more engaging if the numbered locations had a name to them as well. Y'know, to add even more flavour. Not majorly important I know, but it all helps me become even more engrossed.

So (apologies of this has already been done - I couldn't find it if it has!), I was wondering if anyone had a list of which locations the numbered spaces most probably represent.

I got to work with my atlas yesterday and this is what I came up with:

1. Anchorage
2. Hawaii
3. Easter Island
4. Carribou Mountains? (Canadian Wilderness)
5. Minneapolis? (USA Heartland)
6. San Antonio? (Deep South)
7. Panama City
8. Bermuda Triangle
9. Ellesmere Island?
10. Dakar, Senegal or The Gambia, maybe?
11. Tristan Da Cunha
12. South Georgia
13. Franz Josef Island
14. Karelya (Russia) / Finland - definitely not Helsinki - too far north!!
15. Cape Town, Sth. Africa
16. Tomsk?, Central Russia
17. Mumbai (Bombay), India
18. Kerguelen Islands?
19. St. Lawrence Island?
20. Martapura or Banjarmasin, Borneo
21. Kimberley Plateau?, Australia

Realise my world geography is not perfect (it's a very distorted map with not many features - that's my excuse anyway!) and I apologise unreservedly to all if I am way off with some lol but please feel free to add/discuss/correct etc

Cheers

Mickey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the point of not naming the locations its that is allows them to be more about the regions they represent than the actual cities there. By not having them named, expansions can take advantage of that ambiguity. It also saves on having to print the names in different languages.

For instance, San Antonio would be incorrect for the Deep South. San Antonio is in Texas and Texas is not considered the "Deep South" in the US (I've lived from all over the Deep South). The Deep South doesn't extend past Louisiana. San Antonio would be the "West" or "Southwest". So really #6 needs to be moved almost right under #5 on the map.

Also, if you were going to name them, I'd look at a map of the world in the 1920's or 30's to see what the major cites of importance were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I actually also wondered about the names as I try to write flavoured session reports. I started a thread about this a little while ago, and we also did some brain storming. Note that some of the cards also give indications what some numbers may be.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
14 could be Joensuu, or Kajaani... if it is a town... Definitely not Helsinki, as you already said :-) (At least if the place in the map is correct..)

Seems to be a common "problem" to name the numbered places ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
Similarly, picking something like Dakar for 10 makes it sound like a city, when the game only allow for a wilderness encounter. I much prefer to simply think of it as a vague region of "French West Africa" like the "Deep South" for 6. Also, a name like that gives more period appropriate feel to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the character Bio's space 14 is Helsinki, or "Northern Europe"- apparently it was in a different place in 1926- space 15 is South Africa/Capetown and space 16 is "the city of Krasnoyarsk" or "central Russia". Yes I actually read the bios, at least when I play a character for the 1st time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
I got to work with my atlas yesterday and this is what I came up with:

5. Minneapolis? (USA Heartland)

In our games, it's always Chicago. But in the Forsaken Lore expansion, it's some podunk place in... was it Iowa? But that was the point of not giving the places names; that way they could end up being whatever place was needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
#6 would be New Orleans.

No good musicians have come out of San Antonio.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the un-named locations are just to highlight a general area and not a specific city. If you look at Forsaken Lore, there will be a Mystery for Yig that is located above the Lovecraftian underworld of K’n-yan. K’n-yan, which could very well be as large if not larger than the entire continent, is known to have an entrance outside of Binger, Oklahoma. The mystery even says to place a Mystery token over location #6.

I wouldn't quantify these locations as an exact location or city by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played the game once so far and so had come away with the idea that the locations were specific places on earth in the same way that the named places were, such as Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Antarctica, Heart of Darkness etc.

Obviously, Heart of Darkness is not an actual place but if you have read Joseph Conrad or are aware of it, you will know where it is meant to represent.

And with the sea locations, it seems strange to me that some of them are in the exact spots of known islands that are even to this day analagous to mystery and the unexplained. They coud have easily plonked them right in the middle of the sea. But they didn't.

But it's all cool. I like the idea of a loose interpretation that can be used multiple times - just can't wait for the expansion(s!) to add even more stuff. But it was a good little project, that was fun to do on a rainy Sunday afternoon in England.

Thanks for all the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm of the opinion that they are approximate locations. As long as you're not trying to convince me that Bombay or Dakar are in the found in Southern USA, I'm quite happy for 6 to be Houston for one encounter and New Orleans for the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.