Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who is taking over running the league at our FLGS. He posted on reddit but doesn't have an account over here. The post on reddit has a running list of all the archetypes, I'll just copy the meat of the post here:

Quote:
I'm running the next league at my FLGS and in the past we had achievement based leagues which were fun but did nothing to prepare our group for the competition of the store champs event. We are about 50% newer players who are trying to improve and 50% players who have been steady since release.

What I'm looking to do with the next league is have "theme nights" where players are encouraged to bring a particular flavor of Corp and Runner.

The purpose is to expose our newer players (and remind veterans) to the different deck types within broad flavors. Giving players the experience to spot/exploit the weak points of each type as well as how to identify it early in the game. That being said, ideally the corp and runners will have games where there are lots of important decisions to make while not having games that are auto-lose if the inexperienced player makes 1 mistake. I plan to announce the themes well in advance and provide a sample deck list that I'll use for each side. I'll also explain the theme/goal/mission statement of each archtype to my players in advance. Hopefully using this method I can bring the new players up to speed by showing them through experience how each type of deck plans to win. Then after a few (I'm guessing we'll need about 8) weeks go by players can pick what they like for a week or 2 for personal deck tuning, then I'll run a store tournament where they can be competitive. I'm turning to /r/netrunner for help in coming up with several things:

A list of deck types (I'll list what I can think of below but please let me know if I missed any)
Sample deck lists. These don't need to be completely optimized, just give a good idea of what the deck is trying to do. I'll post some samples below but it'll take a few days for me to post em all.
Competitive match ups. What two types of decks (see point 1) will make for a good game when paired against each other. For example HB glacier is probably going to have a good game against Big Rig Kate but would have a terrible time against the pressure of Good Knight Gabe. Tag N Bag weyland core would not have a close game against Tag Me Anarch. OTOH NBN TWIY* rush/tag n bag would probably have a close game against Suckers Andy.

Link to the reddit post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A thought - what if a penalty is introduced for those who run similar lists - like... I dunno, if you play someone and they have a similar list (determined by opinion/TO/some kind of formula/presence of certain combination of key cards), they get some kind of penalty. That'll encourage people to play stuff that don't run into samey stuff. Encouraging diversity without limiting the exact list of what people can't play.

Maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
A thought - what if a penalty is introduced for those who run similar lists - like... I dunno, if you play someone and they have a similar list (determined by opinion/TO/some kind of formula/presence of certain combination of key cards), they get some kind of penalty. That'll encourage people to play stuff that don't run into samey stuff. Encouraging diversity without limiting the exact list of what people can't play.

Maybe?

That'd actually be really awesome for a tournament, but in this case I think the idea is that people WILL be running similar lists.

Last season, we had an achievement based league because we lost a bunch of new players from earlier seasons who got discouraged playing the more experienced players. While everyone had fun, it meant that for weeks people were building decks dedicated simply to trying to deck the corporation, or rez a lot of ice, or spend as many credits as possible during a run, etc. For this season, the hope is that we'll go through major archetypes so that everyone is exposed both to playing as and playing against Ice Destruction. Yes, ideally we'd all get exposed to the different ways you can build that kind of deck, but even if everyone brings the exact same deck, there is still a value in learning to deal with it.

It is a little restrictive, but hands down the most common request at the end of last league was people asking to get exposed to various competitive archetypes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.