Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Playing the starting quest, Brigand uses Shadow Reach combo from Shadows.

I get 1D10 + 1FD base, +2FD for the combo, +1D10 for my weapon. So 2D10 + 3FD.

If I get two successful hits, and have 2 crawlers adjacent, do I hit BOTH of them?

If the answer is no, how can the Brigand ever pop treasure solo, with only one card allowing an attack on multiple enemies?

I think I'm just confused....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used the Brigand, but in general, area of effect attacks only require one hit per Target Number in order to kill them all. So, you would only need to hit one to kill both Crawlers in your example. If the attack allows you to hit 4 or 5 spaces, and all of the Monsters have the same TN, then it would still only take one hit to kill them all.

I don't have the rulebook with me, but this is actually explained and has an example. Dig in there. You'll find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
What if it's NOT an AOE attack? Meaning, it doesn't have the little red grid on the card, then it just targets a single monster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldavicho wrote:
What if it's NOT an AOE attack? Meaning, it doesn't have the little red grid on the card, then it just targets a single monster?

If it attacks more than one space at a time AND you're not making separate rolls, then it is an AoE attack. I think all of the cards that attack more than one space only require a single roll, but I haven't played with all of the Heroes yet so I'm not 100% positive.

There was some discussion on the Brigand's Suicide Run and the Soldier's Riding the Edge requiring a separate roll for each target, but I believe the official ruling is that you still only roll once.

Someone who has played the Brigand can probably clarify about the specific combo you're talking about. I'm at work or else I'd dig the cards out to make sure there isn't some type of exception with that combo....

Edit:
Chaining the ability of the Wand (Green Item) is not an AoE attack. That's the only example I can think of off of the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Suarez
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If all the monsters were of the same type (all Crawler Minions) so they have the same TN, then if you hit one, you hit them all. This is kind of similar to the Archer playing "Orion's Tears", where you hit, and then spend the ammo for damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mauro
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
i guess what I'm missing is HOW do I know how many monsters an attack targets?

for Dark Reaver, it clearly shows three red squares. So my take is that this attack hits ALL THREE indicated squares with just ONE success.

For attacks that do NOT indicated a hit area, is it assumed that each success hits ONE adjacent monster? Or am I just swinging at one single monster, and other successes are just disregarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldavicho wrote:

For attacks that do NOT indicated a hit area, is it assumed that each success hits ONE adjacent monster? Or am I just swinging at one single monster, and other successes are just disregarded?

Ugh. I wish I had the cards in front of me (or someone familiar with the Brigand would speak up).

Unless it specifically notes that you can target more than one, then you are only allowed to target a single Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eldavicho wrote:
i guess what I'm missing is HOW do I know how many monsters an attack targets?

for Dark Reaver, it clearly shows three red squares. So my take is that this attack hits ALL THREE indicated squares with just ONE success.

Sorry I have not played Brigand either. If you are just getting started playing, I'd recommend playing another Hero. there seems to be lots of confusion about some of the Brigand cards.

In terms of your question. AoE attacks hit all monster that have the same TN, if there are different types of monsters with different TNs then 1 die for each TN must be rolled to hit each monster group.

If you are targeting just one monster with let's say the card Attack, then all your other successes have no effect on other adjacent monsters.

Some cards do not show a diagram, but are still considered AoE attacks meaning that the rules I described above with TN per monster type still apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to keep in mind: The Brigand appears to be the most confusing Hero to use.

Here is a thread you'll want to read once you get the basics of the game down:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1146718/the-unofficial-but-o...

As a matter of fact, make sure you check out all of the threads on the game's front page in the "More Information" section since it seems you're just starting the learning process. Keep in mind that there are still errors in some of the official documents as well, so if you see a contradiction then that may be why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi Bureau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows reach is NOT an AoE card, so you can only got 1 target with it. Cards that are AoE have clear indications.

The Brigand can pop treasures with Dark Reaver (if you combo it off of Shadiw's Reach, else it targets 3 spaces but doesn't do damage...), with Suicide Run with at least one Hustle, or by killing captains, lairs and mini-bosses.

The Brigand is a VERY good single target high damage attacker, but he's not very good against minions. Team him with the Apprentice or the Soldier and you're getting somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.