Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi

I know this is a vague question, but is this game for me?

The reasons I think it might be;
- My group loves medium-heavy games, especially with a group who all know what they're doing. So Tzolkin, Trajan, Bora Bora and Terra Mystica all hit our gaming table regularly and are often tense, nail biting, close scoring affairs.
- Bora Bora is a dice based, worker placement game. I'm always torn between it and Trajan as to which I think is better. The fact that I rate them both 9 shows how little that matters. Madeira appears similar.
- I like "unforgiving" games. Or rather, games where you can do well if you play ok, but to do really well, you need to be on top of your game. All the more so when combined with point 1 above.
- I like games where you always seem to want to do more than you can and have to make tough decisions.
- Low, or manageable luck. This is a given with all our heavy euros. We play Love Letter, King of Tokyo or Ticket to Ride when we want something light and easy.
- My FLGS (in London) just got it in stock and I plan to go there tomorrow anyway.

The reasons I think it might not be;
- The last game I bought was Troyes; a game I also asked for advice about before buying. Now it is a good game, but it wasn't quite good *enough*. As a dice worker placement my group puts it in the same bracket as Bora and for us, there's no comparison, Bora wins hands down. We found Troyes a bit too loose and forgiving - minimal agonising decision making to be had and dice sometimes spent nonchalantly because there was nothing much else to do with them. I'm not faulting the advice I got nor the game itself, it just didn't meet our expectations and is now on my list to sell.
- 4 player max. My group is almost always 5p, occasionally 6p, but seldom 4p. This means we don't get to play 4p that often and when we do, the quality bar is already set fairly high with the 4p games we have.
- Bora Bora (again): Our current go to dice worker placement game. Madeira would need to hold its own in such company.

Any help, advice or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

PS I have already watched the reviews on the DiceTower, DriveThru, Rahdo and UndeadViking. They all say it's good but they all also says Bruxelles is good and I cant get both! arrrgh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BibKamp318
Belgium
Beerse [near Turnhout]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your reasons to like it, I would say YES:
- Rules are simple enough, yet winning requires choosing the right action
- Just 15 actions [+ a few more if you use pirate dice], but more decisions to be made: when selecting an action you still have to decide how exactly to use it to your best advantage
- It uses dice as "workers" to initiate an action, but you have additional workers to put on the board as a result of execution of actions
[/quote]I like games where you always seem to want to do more than you can and have to make tough decisions[quote]100% the case

I played 2, 3 and 4 player games; the more players, the better as there is more player interaction: buying Guild tiles first, moving workers in the cities earlier than the other players, playing order, ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew,

Im a proud owner of Madeira, and I have to admit that this game IS a beast!!
Wanna know why?
1. Has an incredible depth with multiple paths to victory
2. Has great mechanisms that boost the replayability
3. Has one of the best mechanisms (so far I've seen) on determing the player order in each round AND each phase.
4. This game may forgive "errors" but up to a point
5. Your strategy should change on each round according to other players reactions
6. Plays awsome with 2-3-4 players
Moreover, the rules are not so many but they are extremely dense.
I consider it far more heavier than Terra Mystica (which also I adore) but for me so far, is one of the most difficult games to teach!
Teaching will take you aprox.30-45 minutes and this game refers mainly to heavy euro-gamers.

I think that it deserves a place into your collection if you like brain burners.
Mind that a 4 player game wont last less than 3 hours, but the experience is so rewarding.

Hope that helps..meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow. Thanks so much.

Aris - Your reply makes me want to rush out and buy it NOW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. If you like the same games I do, and you do, and you don't like Troyes as much as Bora Bora, as d I, then it will fit nicely in your collection.
I think it is the best deep euro from What your Game? yet. The game just works in all ways I enjoy. I thought at first it might not be for me due to the dice, but those dice are used in a very unique way mechanically speaking.
Now, for some the abstract nature is a turn off, but any fan of Bora, Bora will be able to handle that - BB is more abstract than Madeira.
This is the game I thought Vinhos was going to be, but the worker placement in this tops moving around a 3x3 grid, by a long shot.
But, if you can, as always, try before buy...or at least watch Rhichard Ham's base and extended runthrough, he covers the meat nicely.
Bruxells is good too, but so is a lot of games; pick one and get it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Aris here
Aris Ktistakis
Greece
KOROPI, ATHENS
flag msg tools
badge
All that I need is this moment
mbmbmbmbmb

I am also a proud owner of Madeira. And think it was the best of Essen 2013 release. Just played 2 player game with my girl friend last Sunday. and had a blast!

Okay, I am completely agree with his saying about the game.
It's completely way above Terra Mystica. Maybe Terra Mystica has variable player powers and no matter how deep the game is, with frequent plays you will able to catch up pretty well.
Unlike Madeira which unforgiving, the OP mentioned that
Quote:
- I like "unforgiving" games. Or rather, games where you can do well if you play ok, but to do really well, you need to be on top of your game. All the more so when combined with point 1 above.

How can it be unforgiving about doing well if you play OK? It's forgiving in my book. Unforgiving is if you make small error or bad decision, your play goes down the drain. And Madeira is just that unforgiving. Aris said it's forgiving but up to some point, I think it's so little. I managed to fucked up 3 of my actions because of a single error and that haunted me during the game, fortunately I won the game by 2 points.

And yes, this is the heaviest game I ever played aside from 18XX series. Definitely heavier than Brass, Terra Mystica, Ground Floor and such. All your actions are interlocking and the action order / sequence is important, while the rules are seriously hard to digest and to explain to new players. It's a beast indeed and hell my best Euro so far! Sorry Feld, I am a fan but this one, is as I said already, a BEAST!

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luish Moraes Coelho
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played what my friends called "speed Madeira" last saturday with four players that had played only once before. We aimed to play as fast as we could, since the place we were playing was going to be closed in two hours and fifteen minutes. This is exactly the time we manage to play. The result is that I made a lot of mistakes, finishing last, with only nineteen points!! :D

The others went fine, I suppose, with more than eighty points.

This a great and heavy game indeed. I recomend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.