Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait. A. Minute.

I've been eying this game for awhile and read about what a great solo game it is. I just bought it and have been reading through the game walkthrough, and was going to try it out solo, when I checked the solo rules. - You mean to tell me I need to play TWO characters to play this solo?! I might as well just play Monopoly by myself!

Please tell me I'm jumping to conclusions and this really is great solo game, and I'm NOT really just playing two characters. I don't want to feel like I just wasted $65 bucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're jumping to conclusions. The dummy player is a timer mostly that grabs cards from the offers occasionally. Play the game first before complaining....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Burdett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
I SHALL DESTROY ALL THE CIVILIZED PLANETS
mbmbmbmbmb
You are jumping to conclusions. The dummy deck is just that - a deck. It's basically a timer to prevent the solo player dawdling too much (and thus removing the puzzle-like card usage aspect of the game). All you do with the dummy is turn cards over and end the round when the cards run out.

EDIT ninja'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The dummy player isn't really a player; it's just a countdown timer. You take one of the three unused player decks and discard cards from it every turn, and when it's empty the dummy player declares "end of round". This is to keep you from optimizing your play with incredibly short, efficient turns.

The dummy player is easily modeled by a smartphone app, which you should be able to find for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
"may aswell play monopoly?" possibly a slight overreaction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
I might as well just play Monopoly by myself!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, what they said. The dummy player is just a timer. "Playing" the dummy player's turn takes about 15 seconds and is as simple as flipping a few cards. And it really is a good game.

While we're on the subject, I highly recommend Ricky Royal's walkthrough/tutorial on YouTube. It is very well produced, well paced, and walks you through the introductory solo game. Watching him do it and explain it is so much easier than digging through the rules yourself. Find it here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tate
United Kingdom
Banbury
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And there's an Android app which will pretty much take care of it for you should you roll that way...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Lanza
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
black and yellow, black and yellow
badge
Staring right back at you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pak43 wrote:
And there's an Android app which will pretty much take care of it for you should you roll that way...

Also an iOS one. With the app running, the dummy deck is totally trivial.

It's definitely not explained super well in the rules, though -- I had a similar "aw, but I *hate* dummy players!" reaction at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... playing 2 characters... sounds like fun actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hill
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nlanza wrote:
Pak43 wrote:

Also an iOS one. With the app running, the dummy deck is totally trivial.

Exactly!

It's great. Absolutely great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ok ok. Sorry.

I just was really looking forward to playing it and just died a little when I skimmed it. I see the point now.

Thanks for the heads up on the vids. I can watch those while waiting for my FLGS to open. (though I usually tend to skip vids. Unless they are really well done and well produced, I can't stand watching some bearded yahoo with a hand-held camera phone pontificating about a game for more than about 30 seconds.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

I'm going to hopefully play two or maybe even three players for the first run-through. So I can see what the different characters do and how the interaction works. I'll mostly be playing it solo, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nlanza wrote:

It's definitely not explained super well in the rules, though -- I had a similar "aw, but I *hate* dummy players!" reaction at first.

Ok. So I wasn't totally off-base then. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
Tompy wrote:

I'm going to hopefully play two or maybe even three players for the first run-through. So I can see what the different characters do and how the interaction works. I'll mostly be playing it solo, though.

First run throught.. theirs actually a walk through book that you're suppose to do before reading the rules and/or playing a full game.

If you're introducing player to this game you're suppose to go through with the walkthrough scenario.

it's a beast to learn.. but once you do it's awesome.

I would suggest skipping the dummy player for that run
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
. . . watching some bearded yahoo . . .

Hey now! I'm a bearded yahoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great vids. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricky's intro music might get to you before you get thru the 8th video....but they are worth it.

He does make a few "mistakes" but he went back and put up warning, or corrects himself in the following videos.

Seriously though, give the game a shot. Play the walkthru with one character. You will know when it clicks. and when it does, you will want to play again.

one piece of advice though, ALWAYS keep both manuals handy.
I STILL refer to them to make sure on certain occasions. (icons on the monster chits mostly, and how they combine when you are fighting quite a few)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a totally bigger table for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this game needs a table that seats 6.

If your kitchen table is too small, I would suggest buying a folding banquet table. The normal square folding tables aren't big enough but I've found the longer rectangle tables work well enough.

I'm talking about something like this... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015TRJCM/ref=oh_details_o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I've got one of those. thanks. (I just need to put another leaf or two in the table.)

So, rectangular table is better than round, or square? Fame/Rep table to one side and the ever expanding board on the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.