Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely an ambiguity here as I know the rules. You want to get rid of a card, say, a single Ruby / Diamond card once all the others have gone, yet if you only take one card from the table, the replacement doesn't come from your hand. It does seem impossible to put a single card from your hand back onto the table. Maybe that's by design, but the rules aren't written to suggest it's deliberate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is correct. If you want more than just 1 card you always have to put down the same number of cards on the table.

This is also the reason why you can never exchange a card with a card of the same type (e.g. swapping Leather and Gold with Cloth and Leather), as that would effectively be the same as swapping a single card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
It does seem impossible to put a single card from your hand back onto the table. Maybe that's by design, but the rules aren't written to suggest it's deliberate.

That is quite by design. However, if you want to get rid of a single card, you can draw 2 and replace them with the single card you don't want plus a camel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
We've always played it as an exchange - one for one... even if the rules say two or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Jaipur you have the following options for card trading:

- take one card from the market, and replace it with one from the draw pile.

- trade at least two cards--goods, camels, or a combination of the two--for an equal number of cards from the market. You are not allowed to trade the same good for one taken away. (For example, you cannot trade silk for silk.)

- take all of the camels into your herd, and replace the cards taken with cards from the draw pile.

In your case, with a full hand, you have three options. Either you can exchange two or more goods in your hand with two or more goods in the market, take all of the camels from the market (if any) and add them to your herd, or sell something.

That's it.

Hand management is one of the strategies to Jaipur. Hopefully by the time you've made it to seven cards, you've managed to gather some worthwhile goods...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
Hand management is one of the strategies to Jaipur. Hopefully by the time you've made it to seven cards, you've managed to gather some worthwhile goods...

...Or lure your opponent into thinking that your hand is full of valuable items, making him more comfortable taking a lot of camels to reveal a fresh market for you to enjoy...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Wilkins
New Zealand
flag msg tools
rjbeeth wrote:
We've always played it as an exchange - one for one... even if the rules say two or more.

Oh dear - and yes, the rules definitely do say two or more.

"you can never exchange just 1 card from your hand against 1 from the market. An exchange always involves at least 2 cards for 2 cards."

Emphasis is as is from the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I too came here looking for this answer and found multiple threads about it but nothing official. So I just emailed Gameworks directly to ask. Sébastien Pauchon replied back really fast to provide clarity.

In answer to my question "Can you discard any cards in your hand, at the end of your turn, in order to maintain your 7 card limit?" he said;

Quote:
Nope, never. When you take or trade card(s), you must do it in such a way as to end up with 7 cards max.

This is what I thought but was unsure enough to let it pass in some of my games. Now I know for sure.

Thanks

sebastien pauchon
Switzerland
vevey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EnigmaProphet wrote:
I have 3 jewels in my hand, 3 gold, and 1 leather, and a bunch of camels.

One new jewel card is revealed by the other player.

I am tempted to trade the jewel for my leather, but I can't.

I can't trade a camel in, too many cards, so I have to trade in a gold and a leather to take the jewel and something else, destroying my gold X 3.

I don't understand the part in bold above.

Why couldn't you trade 1 leather and 1 camel for the 1 jewel and one other card on display (as long as it's not leather)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gillum wrote:
EnigmaProphet wrote:
I have 3 jewels in my hand, 3 gold, and 1 leather, and a bunch of camels.

One new jewel card is revealed by the other player.

I am tempted to trade the jewel for my leather, but I can't.

I can't trade a camel in, too many cards, so I have to trade in a gold and a leather to take the jewel and something else, destroying my gold X 3.

I don't understand the part in bold above.

Why couldn't you trade 1 leather and 1 camel for the 1 jewel and one other card on display (as long as it's not leather)?

Because he already has 7 cards, which is the hand limit. If he makes that trade, he will have 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.