Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mission VI - Agents in Black question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this mission this past weekend for the first time and it seemed very strange.

So, we realized that the mission starts with zero aliens in the deck and are only brought into the game when one of the events would bring it in. And, as I understand the rules, once an alien is brought into the game, when it is defeated, the alien card is put into the discard pile and it could get recycled back into the game.

So for our game, after we had defeated the initial Arachnoses (that how I'm going to pluralize), every event after that, assuming it had teleport conditions, would teleport those same Arachnoses back into the game continuously, correct?

Also, because of this, we decided to wait till the very end before 'scanning' the Alien Signal to teleport the Alpha in. Risky move, yeah but because the mission fails if the Alpha reaches a Teleport point and it didn't specify that it had to be the Alpha brought in via the Alien Token. So we played it assuming that if that Alpha were defeated, then it could teleport back in, from an event card, and if that new Alpha reached a TP, we would lose as well. Was this correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed - this is the mission I struggled the most so far. Only from understanding how it exactly works
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...it took about 20-30 minutes or reading and rereading the mission rules, then another 10 minutes or so checking the rulebook to make sure I understood all the game terms properly. And then the mission ends up being about 20-30 minutes which is strange as well since all of our other games have gone longer than the estimated time for every other mission. So I think we must be doing something wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mato Sato
Germany
Plankstadt
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mb
We played it, that the one Alien Signal only can be the Alpha. I mean you need also a hit with the red dice, that is not always as easy as it should be. The Alpha is the spion you are searching. The Arachnos are only brought in by the special Events. If you kill the Infiltrator ( the Alpha) the Mission is accomblished. If he escapes, you lost the Mission but can go in the Matrix as following Mission, what you would not see otherwise. Drawing the events works also different
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MaliZeko wrote:
We played it, that the one Alien Signal only can be the Alpha. I mean you need also a hit with the red dice, that is not always as easy as it should be. The Alpha is the spion you are searching. The Arachnos are only brought in by the special Events. If you kill the Infiltrator ( the Alpha) the Mission is accomblished. If he escapes, you lost the Mission but can go in the Matrix as following Mission, what you would not see otherwise. Drawing the events works also different


But according to the rules, any aliens that are brought in by a special event (or whatever) and is killed will have its alien card go into the discard pile, which is shuffled whenever it is empty and a card needs to be drawn. So unless the mission has a rule that says otherwise, that is what is supposed to happen.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

There are no special rules regarding the Xeno-Alpha death in this mission because if he dies means that there are no more alien signals inside the signal reserve (cause once the Xeno-Alpha is correctly identified by rolling an HIT result during a scanning action the alien signal is removed from play)

Thanks cool
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Hi,

There are no special rules regarding the Xeno-Alpha death in this mission because if he dies means that there are no more alien signals inside the signal reserve (cause once the Xeno-Alpha is correctly identified by rolling an HIT result during a scanning action the alien signal is removed from play)

Thanks cool


Right, but the alien card is then sent to the discard pile correct? So an event card could cause the Alpha to teleport onto the map again. I know its not the same Alpha, but the mission rules don't specify that the Alpha that reaches the the TP must be the same one from the 'scan'.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Without any alien signals in the Signal reserve is not possibile to teleport back the Xeno-Alpha
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Without any alien signals in the Signal reserve is not possibile to teleport back the Xeno-Alpha


Some of the event cards teleport aliens though. So what I'm talking about is:

1. Move adjacent to a signal.
2. Decide to reveal signal, and discover that it is the alien signal.
3. Use my action to 'scan' and succeed on the roll.
4. Kill the Alpha and put the Alpha Alien card into the alien card discard pile.
5. End round and draw Event card which tells me to teleport X Aliens onto the board.
6. Shuffle the alien card discard pile and draw up to X cards.

I understand that there is only ever 1 alien signal in play during the mission, but the Alpha doesn't get removed from the game, only the Alien Signal. Which means that, per the normal rules, the Alpha card goes into the Alien card discard pile.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
If you succeed in Scan signal you must perform the following:

- Move the T.P. HIT over WAYPOINT 1 and the T.P. SHIELD over WAYPOINT 2.
- Replace the scanned ALIEN SIGNAL [by discarding the it in the WAREHOUSE instead of the SIGNAL DISCARD PILE] with the GREEN XENO-ALPHA.
- Assign its ALIEN card to the ALPHA AGENT.

With the second step you remove the Alien signal from play, this means that only human signals remain in the Signal reserve... Any signal teleported by event cards will be a human one for sure. ok ? cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 4 of the storybook, it describes what the icon, the card with an arrow, means. The card is not part of the Alien Card deck, but will be brought into the game later, by some effect. The last paragraph under "Alien cards and Miniatures" says:
Quote:

Keep in mind, these cards are not part of the initial Alien Deck at the start of the mission. Once in play, the cards become part of the deck, so they may be reshuffled into the deck when it runs out of cards.


For mission 6, the special mission rules describe the change to the Xeno-Alpha AI and how to reveal the Alpha. It does not say anything special about the Alien card and figure after it is killed.

Both of the successful mission conditions (accomplished and partial) say "...at the end of the mission." so neither of those will trigger until the strategy phase after the last event card is drawn.

So if the Alpha is revealed after 2 event cards have been drawn, there are still 10 more event cards to be drawn. Events H anf F both have say:
"If {aliens} < {agents}: Teleport (some aliens onto the board)". Now, if the Alpha was killed prior to these events, it means that the Alphas Alien card is now part of the Alien Deck and thus can be teleported onto the board (again). It doesn't matter that the Alien Signal is gone because the rules say that the Alpha's card becomes part of the Alien Deck after it is killed and killing the Alpha does not end the mission.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine special aliens like that don't go to the draw deck when killed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,

I will try one more time before give up

The mission 6 is a special mission, created to give a "breath" to our agents, in fact is a fast, search and spy mission, with a really limited combat.

The mission starts with 6 human signals and 1 alien signal,
if and when you find the ONLY alien signal of the mission you must roll for scanning, if succeeded you have to REMOVE FROM PLAY the revealed ALIEN SIGNAL and replacing it with the Xeno-Alpha alien. Starting from this moment ALL SIGNAL TELEPORTED FROM THE EVENT CARDS ARE HUMAN FOR SURE, cause there are no more ALIEN SIGNALS in the Signal reserve, so even if the Xeno-Alpha dies and his card is normally discarded in the discard pile, it cannot re-enter in play cause there are no more Alien signals available...
EVENT CARDS ALWAYS TELEPORT SIGNALS, not ALIENS.
During the mission some Aracnos will appear due to the Mission Special Events, so if you kill them before the end of the mission, you will go to mission 8 otherwise the mission 7 will waits for you, that's all, ok?

I have not specified to remove the Xeno-Alpha from the deck in the rules because is not necessary, there is no way for that Xeno-alpha to returns in play once it dies, because to do that, at least one alien signal is required.

Hope it helps cool

Thanks
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Simone Romano wrote:
Ok,

I will try one more time before give up

The mission 6 is a special mission, created to give a "breath" to our agents, in fact is a fast, search and spy mission, with a really limited combat.

The mission starts with 6 human signals and 1 alien signal,
if and when you find the ONLY alien signal of the mission you must roll for scanning, if succeeded you have to REMOVE FROM PLAY the revealed ALIEN SIGNAL and replacing it with the Xeno-Alpha alien. Starting from this moment ALL SIGNAL TELEPORTED FROM THE EVENT CARDS ARE HUMAN FOR SURE, cause there are no more ALIEN SIGNALS in the Signal reserve, so even if the Xeno-Alpha dies and his card is normally discarded in the discard pile, it cannot re-enter in play cause there are no more Alien signals available...
EVENT CARDS ALWAYS TELEPORT SIGNALS, not ALIENS.
During the mission some Aracnos will appear due to the Mission Special Events, so if you kill them before the end of the mission, you will go to mission 8 otherwise the mission 7 will waits for you, that's all, ok?

I have not specified to remove the Xeno-Alpha from the deck in the rules because is not necessary, there is no way for that Xeno-alpha to returns in play once it dies, because to do that, at least one alien signal is required.

Hope it helps cool

Thanks


...*Facepalm*...

I've apparently been playing incorrectly this entire time. I've been teleporting aliens onto the board for event cards. Not signals. Wow...how did I miss that one? Thanks for being so patient with my stupidity Simone!

Now I have to go tell my groups that we have been playing it all wrong this whole time... *sigh*... soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry my friend,

I'm here to clarify any doubt, in this way you can enjoy the game at 100%
cool

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Do you still draw an event card at the end of the round like normal? Or is the event cards drawn only when you reveal a signal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for resurrecting the thread of my stupidity! lol!

In any case, the rule is draw an event after the end of each round. Unless the mission has wording to specifically change that, then it will still happen.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RODRIGO MAIA MANIQUE
Brazil
RIO DE JANEIRO
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you!!! Understood 100% now!

Cheers!laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.