2 Posts

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Once Upon a Time rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G R
msg tools
mbmbmb
I finally got to play 'Once Upon a Time' over the weekend about six or seven times.
Most of the games were between myself and two granddaughters, aged 11 and 12. A couple of the game included my wife.
This has turned out to my new favorite for the moment.

A quick synopsis of how to play, while not listing most of the rules. (go look it up yourself) Everyone gets cards with different words on them and one ending card. Everyone's ending card is different and kept hidden. The starting person starts telling a story trying to use a word on the cards in there hand to match a word of the story they are telling. If any word they say in there story matches a word on a card from someone elses hand the person can 'interrupt' and take over the story.
The hard part about this is the ending card. Everyone's is different. Could be a happy ending, a sad ending, being deserted on an island, etc. So the players are all trying to twist the story toward their ending.

More rules and and cards then this, but that's the overview.

What was great was it was like I could actually see into the minds of my grandchildren as we played; how they told there part and moved the story along, or tried to move it toward there ending.

I could also see a group of adults playing this with a PG or R rating to it. Maybe Snow White gets woken up with something other then a kiss.

Even though it's geared to Fairy Tales, you don't have to stick with that. You could start you story.. In a Galaxy, far, far, away.., or pick someone who is sitting at the table and start telling about the time he was elected President. Anything will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play this at medieval reenactments with the kids we had along. Was fun to listen to them use their imagination and try to weave a story along. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.