Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be that I am horribly blunt but I couldn't find this anywhere in the rules. How many hexes does the loser retreat?

Looking forward to playing the game but getting through the rules is a nightmare. I hope that the living rules are released soon. Other than that, the game looks absolutely terrific! Can't wait to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my rules handy, but they are in the combat section. However, you might find my detailed rules outline useful. Retreats are on page 10. It's a decent enough outline that the designer's used it in some fashion for tournaments.

I think there's an errata or two I need to incorporate, but I've been positively slammed at work and have barely had time to breath, let alone play games, let alone update game-related documents. Check the forums here for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sydo wrote:
It might be that I am horribly blunt but I couldn't find this anywhere in the rules. How many hexes does the loser retreat?

If you use the Table of Contents, you will see that Retreat is section 16.9 on page 19. Easy to find if you use the basic tools we provided.

There is one erratum re Retreat in v1.7 which reads:

(16.9.1) Retreat Path : The first sentence has been changed to read: “A force’s order of retreat is into a defensible position: an unoccupied friendly city or mountain hex, or across a river. If forced to retreat into a friendly occupied hex, it must then move an extra hex into an unoccupied hex and place an IT on the force it moved through."

It's one hex. There is no mention of retreating two hexes except in the amendment above.

Also, keep in mind that if the attacker is the loser, he remains in place (retreats) as the attack occurred in the defender's hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the addressing the question, guys. Rules reorganization and revision is moving apace. I have seen the progress and I'm happy with it so far. We are not rushing it as we want to try to cover more than what has arisen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince U
United States
Scranton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
alsandor wrote:
sydo wrote:

If you use the Table of Contents, you will see that Retreat is section 16.9 on page 19. Easy to find if you use the basic tools we provided.

There is one erratum re Retreat in v1.7 which reads:

(16.9.1) Retreat Path : The first sentence has been changed to read: “A force’s order of retreat is into a defensible position: an unoccupied friendly city or mountain hex, or across a river. If forced to retreat into a friendly occupied hex, it must then move an extra hex into an unoccupied hex and place an IT on the force it moved through."

It's one hex. There is no mention of retreating two hexes except in the amendment above.

Also, keep in mind that if the attacker is the loser, he remains in place (retreats) as the attack occurred in the defender's hex.

I think I'm getting hung up on "defensible Position" possibly. I just lost a battle (Major victory). I'm playing the Union side. I was occupying Beaufort in NC (This was after I successfully captured it after an amphibious assault several turns prior). After the loss, I needed to "Retreat one hex" according to the player guide. I'm in enemy territory and had an empty hex just north of me at hex 2007. That hex is surrounded by enemy forces in, or around, enemy cities. I didn't consider this hex "defensible". There was another empty hex north of that one with the same circumstances and then Fort Monroe above that. Was I wrong retreating to Fort Monroe? Should I have just retreated to that empty hex in enemy territory? Thanks

Vince

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're reading too much into the rule there. The "defensible position" is any hex that provides some benefit to the defender the way that I'm reading the rule. So if there was a clear hex and a fort you could retreat to legally, the fort would win. But it sounds like you might have retreated two hexes to get to the fort, which wouldn't have been legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.