Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,
Im still new to X-Wing and do not have a full compliment of ships to choose from. I currently own the following:
2 Core sets
1 A-Wing
1 B-Wing
1 Falcon

1 Tie Bomber
1 Tie Advanced
1 Firespray

My 100 point build for the Imperials was:

Darth Vader with Cluster Missiles and Marskmen for 36 pts
Mauler Mither with Veteran Instincts and Stealth Mod for 21 pts
The Dark Curse 16 pts
Night Beast 15 Pts
Academy Pilot 12 Pts

The basic concept was using Asteroids as cover so I could position my 4 Tie Fighters on the flanks while Vader would start in the middle.
The Dark Curse and Night Beast were positioned on the far left flank, Vader in the center and The Academy Pilot and Mauler on the right flank.

The rebel player took the A-wing with Tyco, Homing Missles, and Push the Limit. His next up was a Red Squad X-wing with R2D2 and Torpedoes. His final ship was a Dagger Squadron B-Wing outfitted with missiles and an Auto Blaster.

I won the encounter with Mauler at 100%, Vader with no shields but all hull , and the Academy Pilot at 100%. I was able to out maneuver his forces and with having 2 more vessels, was able to out gun all his ships. Vader dealt a huge blow when he unloaded his cluster missiles and did 4 points of damage to the B-Wing. Despite being in attack Range 2 of each of his 3 ships, Vader only lost 2 points of shield.

All in all I felt that The Tie advanced has a hard time keeping up with the Tie Fighters, which worked incredibly well as flankers, especially the ultra agile Mauler who rolled 4 defense dice all game long.

Tell me what you think, and what would be a better 100 pt build with my goal being a fast flanker force. Also, what would be some good upgrades to what I own.

So far I think that the next purchases will be in this order:
Y-Wing
X-Wing
Imperial Aces
Rebel Aces

Thanks for any tips in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
things you can try out:

Boba / Kath + Expert Handling

Krassis + HLC

Darth Vader + Engine Upgrade + Expose / Concussion missiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if Engine Upgrade helps vader keep up with Tie Fighters, the 1 Hard turn is such a beautiful move.

Ill put those suggestions together and see how it looks. I wasnt sure if a Firespray would be better than Vader and Academy Pilot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabuchi wrote:
I wasnt sure if a Firespray would be better than Vader and Academy Pilot.

You can fly a generic BH for 33 points and IMO it is a much better value than Vader.

Example:

1 • Howlrunner - Stealth Device (21)
2 • Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
3 • Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
4 • Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
5 • Bounty Hunter - Heavy Laser Cannon (40)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I did use to great effect was Vaders ability to use 2 actions, it let me avoid a fair bit of fire and make things miserable for the Rebels, but I had picked out the bounty hunter with the Heavy Laser originally. In the end I opted for Vader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Errington
msg tools
I love the Firespray, so here are some lists including that.

Howlrunner + SD
3x Academy Pilot
Firespray + HLC

That leaves you with 3 points. You have a few options. Swarm Tactics on Howlrunner, upgrade BH to Krassis, upgrade Academies to Obsidian.

I also want to try this one out:

BH
Vader + Engine
Dark Curse
Mauler

The plan with this is to run Vader up one side while the BH and the two TIEs go up the other. The enemy has to choose who to focus fire or split fire between them, none of which is a great option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are interesting options, I may have underestimated the versatility of the Firespray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Poppie
msg tools
Mabuchi wrote:

The basic concept was using Asteroids as cover so I could position my 4 Tie Fighters on the flanks while Vader would start in the middle.
The Dark Curse and Night Beast were positioned on the far left flank, Vader in the center and The Academy Pilot and Mauler on the right flank.

If plans the same 2 tweeks trade marksmanship and veteran instincts for expert handling and swarm tactics respectively Vader can shed target locks and still evade to draw fire and Mauler with swarm tactics makes the Academy fire at PS 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a nifty twist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hape K
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Heisenberg wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:

You can fly a generic BH for 33 points and IMO it is a much better value than Vader.

Example:

Why not run Academy Pilots instead of Obsidians and take the leftover 3 points in PTL on Howl for a bit better protection? That way you can fly the APs as blockers, setting up for range 1 shots with Howl's reroll added for full effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Ebeling
Germany
Schleswig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HapeK wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Mabuchi wrote:

Example:

Why not run Academy Pilots instead of Obsidians and take the leftover 3 points in PTL on Howl for a bit better protection? That way you can fly the APs as blockers, setting up for range 1 shots with Howl's reroll added for full effect.

Or you could use the 3 Points to upgrade the BH to Krassis to reroll dice on your HLC shots.
They are going to shoot last anyways going against the squad of your opponent (Tycho, Red Squadron and Dagger at Pilotskill 8/4/4)

As for your initial squad:
- You could change Marksman on Vader for Expert Handling (if you are only playing against rebels as imperials don't have that many ships able to target lock in comparison. And your opponent flew a list heavy on secondary weapons dependent on a target lock).
- Then spent the leftover point to upgrade Night Beast to Backstabber. He can be flown all by himself, either getting the attack boost or drawing fire and distracting your opponent from the other valuable ships.
- You could then think about dropping the Stealth Device on Mauler and upgrade the Academy to Night Beast. That would give you a lot of elite pilots with good abilities (most of them offensive) and all of them shooting before the pilot skill 4 ships.

EDIT:

I just realised that you don't have the Tie Fighter Expansion and no Backstabber/Howlrunner.
Here is one wise guy remark and two squads you could try to make up for that.

I would recommend getting the Tie Fighter and X-Wing Expansion next so that you have all available pilots for the models you already own.

1. 99 Points
Vader + Daredevil + Concussion + Engine
Bounty Hunter + Seismic Charge
2x Academy

Vader is even more agile, the Bounty Hunter gives some hit points and good overall offense/defense to your squad and seismic charges cost no action. Academys as cannon fodder, blockers, distraction. You could get a Homing or Assault Missile for the last point.

2. 100/99 points
Krassi Trelix + HLC + Cluster Missiles (+5 points: Gunner or Mercenary Copilot+Seismic Charges)
4x Acadenmy

This one puts a lot of points in one ship, but Krassis can use the rerolls from his pilot ability on the HLC (Range 2-3) and both Cluster Missiles (for Range 1-2). The mini swarm either distracts from Krassis or gets the possibility to do some damage over time with multiple attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice in what to get next. I wasnt sure if getting more variety would be wise, despite it being more exciting (as I love collecting).
I think the Xwing and Tie fighter expansion will be my next purchases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.