Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick background: I was a heavy backer in Season 1 and enjoy the base game quite a bit. When it came to Season 2, I did not back the Kickstarter for a variety of reasons, but still planned to pick up some of the stuff at retail.

Now I'm starting to look at this one. I have heard some complaints about the handling of the Season 2 Kickstarter and I also don't see any reviews of this product yet.

So.... can anyone give me a rundown? Did the KS issues for Season 2 affect the retail box of TCM at all? Is TCM a good and worthwhile addition to the Season 1 base-game? Any other related opinions to share?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Did the KS issues for Season 2 affect the retail box of TCM at all?

No.

RedShark92 wrote:
Is TCM a good and worthwhile addition to the Season 1 base-game?

Yes.

RedShark92 wrote:
Any other related opinions to share?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the KS issue were mostly from an organisational perspective, but the product is ok.
there are quite more powerful items in toxic city mall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TCM is great.
The tiles a great.
The new survivors are great.
The Zombivors are great.
Toxics are great.
Ultra-red is great.
Barricades are great.
Rubble is great.
The new equipment is great.

I very much recommend getting it.

I've yet to play any of the TCM scenarios, though, so can't comment on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
TCM is great.
The tiles a great.
The new survivors are great.
The Zombivors are great.
Toxics are great.
Ultra-red is great.
Barricades are great.
Rubble is great.
The new equipment is great.

I very much recommend getting it.

I've yet to play any of the TCM scenarios, though, so can't comment on them.

Shouldn't this be in the reviews section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to elaborate a little more, this is how I would rank the additions in TCM (and the rest of season 2 as well):

AWESOME-TIER

- New survivors bring some much needed variety to the 6 survivors from season 1.
- Zombie dogz are super scary.
- New items (and Dog companions as well) bring some much needed variety to the base item deck.

COOL-TIER

- Berserker and toxic zombies bring the difficulty up a notch (especially toxic zombies are really dangerous). They also fresh up the scenarios.
- Rubble is a great addition for map makers!
- Mall tiles are pretty great (driving around the mall in a PIMP mobile?), although there's only a few of them.

MEH-TIER

- The new scenarios are ok but I'm actually enjoying S1 scenarios with the new content a bit more.
- The new map elements (barricades, barbed wire, watch towers, security zones) bring a little more rules overhead without adding that much gameplay wise IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I also recommend buying Toxic City Mall.
The new components allows for a very different game.
Toxics can really force the players to a change of plans. If you also add the berserkers and or Zombie dogs into that mix, no mistake will go unpunished.
Although doing so might make you wanna adjust the Spawn Deck.

I have played all of the TCM scenarios except for scenario 10. So far my favourites are: M05: Mall Raid and M09: Ultra Red District. Both of these, I think, gives a very different experience compared to the ones you will find in the S1 rulebook and most of the DLC scenarios.

Moving around the mall also feels different than moving in the city. Though it might look the same, the malls wide hallways allow for some interesting situations to occour.

So what is not to like about TCM?

- It appears that the scenario difficultiy tends to be way off in some scenarios.

- Having to deal with the fact that diagonal l.o.s is not allowed was not a problem in S1. But it is in TCM. A lot of situations will happend where it just feels plain silly, that models can't see each other. As a TCM owner you will have to accept this the same way you accepted the Target Priority rule. It is a stupid unthematic and unlogical rule, but without it, the game balance will be screwed.

- The Parking lot tile will take splitting to a new level of frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.