Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for game suggestions for 2 player games that will be relatively easy to get into. I'm a game nut, but I lean more toward retro classics, and silly humor games. My hubby is really more of a trivia guy, but I am soo mega sick of trivia I could scream! We have a couple of the ticket to ride games, and have enjoyed that. I feel like there's a whole world of 2 player games that I just have no clue even exhist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some ideas:

Fluxx for silly humor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion
Jambo
Lords of Waterdeep
Stone Age
San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Jaipur
Piñata
Battle Line
Carcassonne
Finca

And be sure to check out Rahdo's run through videos. His focus is on games that play well with 2 players, though the level of complexity/difficulty varies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG !

Jaipur

E 2 players (competitive)
E Trading
E Set collecting
Great production quality
Low price

Battle Line

E Area control
E Set collecting
Low price

Caesar & Cleopatra

E Area Control
E Bluffing
Great production quality

Le Fantôme de l'Opéra

E Deduction
E Asymmetrical gameplay

The next games work great with 2 players, but have room for more people to join your table:

Pandemic

E 2-4 players (cooperative)
E Variable difficulty level
E Expansions available

Takenoko

E 2-4 players (competitive, on a relaxing level)
E Gateway level strategy
Humorous theme
Great production quality

Dominion

E 2-4 players (competitive)
E Deck building
E High replay value
E Expansions available

San Juan

E Variable roles/phase order
E Hand management
Low price

Elder Sign

E 1-4 players (cooperative)
E Dice rolling
E Very thematic
E Expansion available
Great production quality

Lords of Waterdeep

E 2-5 players (competitive)
E Worker placement
E Expansion available
Great production quality

Terror in Meeple City

E Dexterity
Humorous theme, silly gameplay

Personally, I would buy Pandemic and Jaipur first.

Have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Montalvo
United States
Thorndale
PENNSYLVANIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your suggestions so far!! It just so happens that next week is my birthday...so woo perfect timing to ask this!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of great suggestions here.

+1 for Jaipur
+1 for Lost Cities

and I recommend:
Mr. Jack Pocket is super awesome.
Adventure Time Card Wars: Finn vs. Jake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 Jaipur
+ 1 Pandemic

Maybe also look into

Targi : 2 player game with workerplacement, set collection and recource collection

Jambo or Asante : 2 player card game, selling and buying goods and persons or animals with special ability's
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big +1 for Lost Cities. (I think Lost Cities is vastly superior to Jaipur and Jambo, but that's just me.)

Also, perhaps one of the best 2 player games I have ever played:
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. It's kind of like Stratego with asymmetric player powers and different winning conditions for each side. It also has hand management as each side has 9 cards they can use to enhance their characters in conflict, but each card can be used only once and so you have to be careful when you use each card. And you do not have to be a Lord of the Rings buff to enjoy the game. A passing knowledge is really all you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lockard
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are almost strictly 2-player game people here. These hit our table regularly!

Economic: Asante (newer version of Jambo).
Worker Placement: Targi, Stone Age, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Tile Placement: Carcassonne (with a couple of expansions. I would pick Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders).
Dice: Arena Roma II, Ra: The Dice Game
Cards, cards and more cards: Lost Cities, Dragonheart, Jaipur, Battleline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line >>>>> Jaipur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lost Cities.

+1 Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the one to check out is Jaipur first! Thank you all for your great suggestions, there are so many here I have never heard of. I wish I could play them right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Lester
United States
SANTA MONICA
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some great suggestions on here for simple two player games. I would like to suggest Keyflower for something with a little more depth and complexity, but not too difficult to learn. If you haven't played many designer boardgames, it might help to watch a video of Keyflower like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2NKgzLpviA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Meta-comment:

I've seen/participated in hundreds of recommendation threads before, but have never seen such use of boxfront pics! very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
Meta-comment:

I've seen/participated in hundreds of recommendation threads before, but have never seen such use of boxfront pics! very cool.

In most cases I post the covers along the recommendation for a) first (superficial) impression and b) helping the other person to remember what I was talking about when standing in the local game store days, maybe weeks or months later.

It also helps myself bringing some structure in the post (new picture = new game) and makes the text I post along less boring. I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love having the pictures! I am a visual person, so I like seeing a Name with a picture. Exactly like you guys said, helps you to remember. Ive already put many of these games in my wishlist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanna
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Carcassonne and Lost Cities can't be stressed enough!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll have your high hopes dashed if you buy Jaipur alone for your birthday gift. After one or two plays you may be saying, "Is that all there is?" It's a very quick game with not much depth.

I agree completely with all of Denise's suggestions. Please research the games she suggested. And she is in the same situation you are: 2-player only.

I LOVE Targi, a newly published game. It's one on Denise's list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Grantz
United States
Bel Aire
Kansas
flag msg tools
publisher
http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
These are my favorite two player only games to play with my wife.

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small

Morels

Le Havre: The Inland Port

Lost Cities

Aton

Roma

Dungeon Twister

Hive

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Jambo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenCaroline wrote:
I think you'll have your high hopes dashed if you buy Jaipur alone for your birthday gift. After one or two plays you may be saying, "Is that all there is?" It's a very quick game with not much depth.

That's the reason why I suggested to buy Jaipur and Pandemic together.

Although I would not agree that Jaipur falls flat this fast and it would not have depth. There is just the right amount of strategy to discover in this game which makes it so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well good news is I haven't purchased any yet!! I will be sure to carefully look at the suggestions, and make my list!! Honestly, I want like all these games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Big +1 to Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (with at least one expansion). It's what's known around here as a "wife" game, only in this case it'd probably be weird to call it that This is my go-to when i want to play a game that feels like a full fledged boardgame but plays in 30 minutes.... It's really a standout at what it does.

Have a look at Star Realms. It's the definitive intro to the wonderful deckbuilding genre. $15, small box, but teaches the basics and is a pretty nifty game to boot. If this is a hit, look into the classic (and more expensive) Dominion Big Box (English)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a game suggestion, but hopefully a suggestion that will hopefully help you enjoy more games, more quickly....

Like you, I tend to be "visual" and this applies to learning games as well. So, I would take advantage of the video tutorials and reviews that have been created by the many dedicated and talented reviewers that frequent the BGG forums. If you look under the "Video" section of any game there is a pretty good chance that someone has done a review, a tutorial or a complete walkthrough of the game which will help decide whether a certain game is for you and if so, will help get you up to speed quickly.

With these tutorials, even games that seem complex are fast and simple to learn. Well, OK then. I guess I do have a few suggestions for games then. With the help of a good video tutorial almost any game is easy to learn, so you may want to also consider very popular but more substantial games such as Castles of Burgundy, Troyes, or Suburbia which all play well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goldengamer wrote:
Not a game suggestion, but hopefully a suggestion that will hopefully help you enjoy more games, more quickly....

Like you, I tend to be "visual" and this applies to learning games as well. So, I would take advantage of the video tutorials and reviews that have been created by the many dedicated and talented reviewers that frequent the BGG forums. If you look under the "Video" section of any game there is a pretty good chance that someone has done a review, a tutorial or a complete walkthrough of the game which will help decide whether a certain game is for you and if so, will help get you up to speed quickly.

With these tutorials, even games that seem complex are fast and simple to learn. Well, OK then. I guess I do have a few suggestions for games then. With the help of a good video tutorial almost any game is easy to learn, so you may want to also consider very popular but more substantial games such as Castles of Burgundy, Troyes, or Suburbia which all play well with 2.

Thank you for this suggestion...I will be sure to take full advantage of these videos when I start getting some of these games!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.