Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Need Help Designing a MicroGame for My Wedding rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be getting married in early August, and for wedding favors we are trying to incorporate these wedding meeples from MeepleSource. http://www.meeplesource.com/proddetail.php?prod=WeddingSets

It surprised me how much of a fan of these my fiancee was, especially when it came to this 3 piece set. That being said I thought about making a small game with them, and the game of course would be the wedding favor. I'm also willing to buy a bulk set of standard d6 dice to use with this. The playing area would be probably a custom playing or tarot card. So my components are: 1 play area, 1 bride meeple, 1 groom meeple, 1 heart, and dice. I haven't decided how many dice to use yet as I haven't figured out a game.

Any help designing something would be greatly appreciated. Design your own game and post it here. I'm very curious actually as to what all of you can come up with.

The rules obviously have to be short and to the point, and must contain the above components. I'm not sure how I'm going to print the rules but I might either put them on the back of the card, or print some cheap business cards with the rules on them.

These are the few ideas I have so far. (My ideas suck compared to what has been added so far. If you want you can skip over the rest of this post and proceed to the other posts.

Game 1:
Tug of War type game.
B O O H O O G
-There are 7 spaces with the bride and groom being placed on opposite ends of the track. The heart would be right in the middle on spot 4. eople roll the dice simultaneously, and the person with the highest value wins.
-The heart would then move over one space to the winner.
-The winner is the first person to get the heart on the same space as their meeple.

Yeah...it's ok at best. I might even scrap it.

Game 2:
On the card we will have 10 circles essentially creating a border.
G O O
O _ O
O _ O
O O M

-The meeples start on any corner opposite of each other diagonally.
-Each player takes the two dice, rolling them one at a time.
-The player then subtracts the value of the second die from the first die.
-If the result is positive(+) that person's meeple will move clockwise/right that many spaces. If it is a negative that person's meeple will move counter clockwise/left that many space.
-The winner is the first person to either pass or land on the opposing player. The winner wins the heart.

I like this idea more then my tug of war as it gives the vibe of the two meeples chasing each other and catching one another.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not married or anything, but it makes more thematic sense that the game be about coming together rather than claiming ownership via tug-of-war.

How about putting your idea in reverse? Move the meeples toward the center heart (which could be the wedding altar... or maybe something symbolic, like "compromise").
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about that actually, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get the meeples together while still having a clear winner.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a pretty great idea (well it seems great to me). Give me some time to type it up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just created a second game.

On the card we will have 10 circles essentially creating a border.
G O O
O _ O
O _ O
O O M

-The meeples start on any corner opposite of each other diagonally.
-Each player takes the two dice, rolling them one at a time.
-The player then subtracts the value of the second die from the first die.
-If the result is positive(+) that person's meeple will move clockwise/right that many spaces. If it is a negative(-) that person's meeple will move counter clockwise/left that many space.
-The winner is the first person to either pass or land on the opposing player. The winner wins the heart.

I like this idea more then my tug of war as it gives the vibe of the two meeples chasing each other and catching one another.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a match or set collecting game. Everyone starts with all the same meeple and tries to collect a set. Good mixer. The "prize, which everyone should get, I'll be the dice and rules for the second game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falcon Arendell

Raleigh
North Carolina
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Quick brainstorm
Perhaps a two person cooperative game would be more thematic.
Two meeples trying to get to the central heart at the same time.
Die roll causes random effects (heart move one way or the other, one or the other meeples falling down, etc.)
On a persons turn they can either move the heart, move themselves, help the other to stand back up.
There can be set obstacles along the way. Some may be overcome by doing something outside the game (getting or giving of hugs, quick physical challenge that must be won, etc.)
Score points on how close to center the two meeples meet. Pairs of players can compare with each other.
4 
 Thumb up
0.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
How about a match or set collecting game. Everyone starts with all the same meeple and tries to collect a set. Good mixer. The "prize, which everyone should get, I'll be the dice and rules for the second game.


This sounds like I would need to buy more meeples then what I have budgeted for. Unless I'm missing something that is the only way I think of in order to make a set.

Zinphad wrote:
Quick brainstorm
Perhaps a two person cooperative game would be more thematic.
Two meeples trying to get to the central heart at the same time.
Die roll causes random effects (heart move one way or the other, one or the other meeples falling down, etc.)
On a persons turn they can either move the heart, move themselves, help the other to stand back up.
There can be set obstacles along the way. Some may be overcome by doing something outside the game (getting or giving of hugs, quick physical challenge that must be won, etc.)
Score points on how close to center the two meeples meet. Pairs of players can compare with each other.


This is a neat idea, but how would we be able to fit this on a single card. Wouldn't the rules be long for this? I should probably put that as for rules I would either put it on the back of the card (standard or tarot), or I would get some cheap business cards made with the rules on that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
 


This is a co-op.

Setup: Place a meeple on each of the start spaces (with the S). Start the heart in the 6/1 space.

1. Roll a die, and hide the result with your hand.

2. Tell your partner, "I Trust You", or, "I Love You."

3. Your partner must now choose a single piece to move into an adjacent space. They may always choose their own piece.

--If you told them: "I Love You", they may choose to move the heart into a space connected by the red "heart lines" instead of their own piece.

--If you told them: "I Trust You," they may choose to move your piece instead of their own.

4. Reveal the die. One of the pieces that were NOT moved by your partner must now be moved (you can decide which to move together). The move must be one step toward a space of the same number as the result of your die.

If all 3 pieces are on the same space at the end of this step, you've succeeded in helping [the happy couple's names here] find true love! You both win!

If you move either the Bride or Groom onto the 1 or 6 space with an X, you lose.

If the heart and either one of the other pieces are on the same space without the third piece, you lose.

If you must move a piece and cannot (because you're on the number of the die result), you lose.

Otherwise, pass the die to the other player and continue with the steps above.



Note: I obviously did this in a hurry (30ish minutes, including the image), and this is just an idea for you to use. You'll notice that this is pretty rough. If you ARE interested, I will spend more time cleaning up the text, but as I don't know, I'm not going to. Also, if you do use it, you should find somebody else to make this pretty, because I am utterly talentless in that regard, if that weren't already apparent.
14 
 Thumb up
2.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as the thread's grown since I wrote a game, I'm not sure if this will fit on the back of a card, but it isn't much and could easily be condensed, and could feasibly be made to fit. I like it because there's decisions, interaction, and it isn't just rolling dice, but you may disagree, and you may feel free to. It is your wedding, after all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The bride starts by picking up both dice and the heart, then thinks of a number between 2-12. If the groom guesses the number, he wins her heart, but if he can't read her mind, then they shouldn't be together anyway and he loses. For the advanced game, include a "bride's sister" meeple that the groom token moves toward every time the bride tells him he loses.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting married around the same time and love this idea. Not sure I'll steal it but I was looking to gameify things for the wedding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Default Printer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here is a simple game you might consider...best wishes.

A Wedding Game

Object: To poistion the bride and groom at the altar at the end of a player's turn (the 6th position out of 11).

Game Board: On the card there are two parallel tracks each with 11 positions; groom starting to the far left on the top track and the bride starting to the far right on the bottom track.

Turn order: Bride first, with groom to follow.

On the first turn, the bride rolls a die and hides the result, with the groom making a subsequent roll that is known to both players

The groom then may choose to use the heart token to modify their roll by either adding 2 or subtracting 1; the bride should not provide hints to the groom as to whether or not the groom's roll should be modified

Compare the results by subtracting the groom's total (including any heart modifiers) from the bride's roll, the remainder will determine the number of spaces the bride moves on the score track

Positive results move the bride forward on the score track (left); negative results move the bride backward (right), results of zero are ignored. A meeple may not move back past it’s original starting position.

At the end of the turn the groom passes the heart token to the bride, and says something sweet and or toasts his partner and play continues.

On the second turn, play is repeated with the groom rolling first and hiding the result, and the bride rolling second

The bride may now modify results, if desired, and compare the bride's total to the groom's roll, the remainder again determines the number of spaces the groom moves on the score track. Positive results move the groom forward on the score track (right); negative results move the groom backwards (left), with results of zero ignored. Again, a meeple may not move back past it’s original starting position.

Pass the heart token, exchange pleasantries and continue play. Each player must take a turn in order until the game is won or lost.

In addition, once per game, if a player's meeple starts their turn at the altar, they may choose to stay at the altar, rather than rolling. If this option is selected play passes back to the other player.

The game is lost if either the bride or groom reach the opposite end of their score track at the end of their turn.

The game is won, when at the end of any turn (either the bride or groom's) both the bride and groom are at the altar on their respective score tracks (position 6 of 11, parallel to one another).

Win or lose, celebrate and enjoy the event.

Variant: Table Play
Couples at the same table each play with their respective parter simultaneously following the turn order above. The first couple to the alter wins.

Variant: Easy Modifiers
Allow players to modify their rolls by adding or subtracting 1 or 2

1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
If you have 2 goat meeples I have a micro-game you and your father in law will enjoy.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Edleston
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

How about a game similar to Pass the Pigs?

The players take it in turns to take both the bride and groom meeples into their hands, shake them up, and drop/throw them onto the table. Based on how the meeples land, the player accumulates points. The same player can then throw the pieces again to try and earn more points in their turn or they can decide to end their turn and bank the points earned so far. If the meeples land in a particular way then the player loses all points earned so far that turn and their turn ends. The first player to bank 20 points wins the heart of their opponent and takes the heart token.



So in the example picture, if both pieces point the same way a player gets 5 points. If both pieces point towards each other, 3 points. If only 1 piece points at the other, 2 points. If both pieces point away from each other then the player loses all unbanked points and the turn ends.

You could make a prize available to whoever has won the most hearts by the time the first dance starts (or somewhen else in the night).

Hopefully this should get your guests playing together throughout the day/night trying to win each others hearts!
7 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Also, as the thread's grown since I wrote a game, I'm not sure if this will fit on the back of a card, but it isn't much and could easily be condensed, and could feasibly be made to fit. I like it because there's decisions, interaction, and it isn't just rolling dice, but you may disagree, and you may feel free to. It is your wedding, after all.


I love the enthusiasm, and you have designed what I would consider a gamer's game. I did a little play testing with it last night, and while we understood it we are afraid the general folk would not. I was trying to figure out how to simplify it, but couldn't come up with much.

robbdaman wrote:
I'm getting married around the same time and love this idea. Not sure I'll steal it but I was looking to gameify things for the wedding.


No worries on stealing. If I was afraid of this idea getting stolen I wouldn't have put it up on a public domain. Plus I saw an idea similar to this about a year ago, except they wanted to make custom dice (to much money). I hope any ideas on here can help other people should they have a similar idea.

Default Printer wrote:
Here is a simple game you might consider...best wishes.

A Wedding Game

Object: To poistion the bride and groom at the altar at the end of a player's turn (the 6th position out of 11).

Game Board: On the card there are two parallel tracks each with 11 positions; groom starting to the far left on the top track and the bride starting to the far right on the bottom track.

Turn order: Bride first, with groom to follow.

On the first turn, the bride rolls a die and hides the result, with the groom making a subsequent roll that is known to both players

The groom then may choose to use the heart token to modify their roll by either adding 2 or subtracting 1; the bride should not provide hints to the groom as to whether or not the groom's roll should be modified

Compare the results by subtracting the groom's total (including any heart modifiers) from the bride's roll, the remainder will determine the number of spaces the bride moves on the score track

Positive results move the bride forward on the score track (left); negative results move the bride backward (right), results of zero are ignored. A meeple may not move back past it’s original starting position.

At the end of the turn the groom passes the heart token to the bride, and says something sweet and or toasts his partner and play continues.

On the second turn, play is repeated with the groom rolling first and hiding the result, and the bride rolling second

The bride may now modify results, if desired, and compare the bride's total to the groom's roll, the remainder again determines the number of spaces the groom moves on the score track. Positive results move the groom forward on the score track (right); negative results move the groom backwards (left), with results of zero ignored. Again, a meeple may not move back past it’s original starting position.

Pass the heart token, exchange pleasantries and continue play. Each player must take a turn in order until the game is won or lost.

In addition, once per game, if a player's meeple starts their turn at the altar, they may choose to stay at the altar, rather than rolling. If this option is selected play passes back to the other player.

The game is lost if either the bride or groom reach the opposite end of their score track at the end of their turn.

The game is won, when at the end of any turn (either the bride or groom's) both the bride and groom are at the altar on their respective score tracks (position 6 of 11, parallel to one another).

Win or lose, celebrate and enjoy the event.

Variant: Table Play
Couples at the same table each play with their respective parter simultaneously following the turn order above. The first couple to the alter wins.

Variant: Easy Modifiers
Allow players to modify their rolls by adding or subtracting 1 or 2


This is an idea I haven't seen or thought of yet. I'm basically play testing everything on here with my fiancee to see how it works. We will definitely give it a try tonight.

Kevashim wrote:
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

How about a game similar to Pass the Pigs?

The players take it in turns to take both the bride and groom meeples into their hands, shake them up, and drop/throw them onto the table. Based on how the meeples land, the player accumulates points. The same player can then throw the pieces again to try and earn more points in their turn or they can decide to end their turn and bank the points earned so far. If the meeples land in a particular way then the player loses all points earned so far that turn and their turn ends. The first player to bank 20 points wins the heart of their opponent and takes the heart token.



So in the example picture, if both pieces point the same way a player gets 5 points. If both pieces point towards each other, 3 points. If only 1 piece points at the other, 2 points. If both pieces point away from each other then the player loses all unbanked points and the turn ends.

You could make a prize available to whoever has won the most hearts by the time the first dance starts (or somewhen else in the night).

Hopefully this should get your guests playing together throughout the day/night trying to win each others hearts!


It's funny you mention Pass the Pig as I thought about this game as an actual favor along with various other small cheap games. I just hadn't put two and two together. I wonder if the meeples are able to land on there sides easily. I will try this out tonight to see if it works.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given geekgold to those who have contributed to here. It's not much but I only have 30 something to play with, and I will tip future posters. If we end up choosing something from here, whatever I have left in my account I will donate to that user.
4 
 Thumb up
2.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Edleston
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Yea, I had no meeples to hand to test how well they land either flat or on their sides. The picture I put together was just an example, there would definitely need to be some playtesting to see how well the meeples land first before deciding which alignments are worth which amount of points.

Also, thanks for the GG tip!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I got married last summer and our wedding had a lot of game references. One thing that we did and turned out very well was instead of using a guest book, we put out the pieces from a few Jenga sets and some special markers that write permanently on treated wood and had people write us messages on the jenga pieces. Now we have a Jenga set that is full of messages to us and reminds us of our wedding!

In any case, I love the ideas of either 1) giving a microgame as a wedding favor or 2) using these meeples to play a large social game at one of the wedding events.

And I'm very impressed by the game ideas proposed here so far (and so quickly!). Let us know what you end up using!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Demon Jim wrote:

I love the enthusiasm, and you have designed what I would consider a gamer's game. I did a little play testing with it last night, and while we understood it we are afraid the general folk would not. I was trying to figure out how to simplify it, but couldn't come up with much.


I'll take that as a compliment.

How did it play? I meant to test it with my wife last night but forgot. I sort of tested it a couple times before posting, but obviously I knew what the die result was so I couldn't do much aside from seeing how the results stack up.

Anything you were stuck on, or that made you read it twice, rules-wise? The game should be easily understood for non-gamers, and if it isn't, it is likely due to phrasing, which, as I've said previously, is pretty rough. If you give me some feedback I can work on it to make it more easily understood.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
I got married last summer and our wedding had a lot of game references. One thing that we did and turned out very well was instead of using a guest book, we put out the pieces from a few Jenga sets and some special markers that write permanently on treated wood and had people write us messages on the jenga pieces. Now we have a Jenga set that is full of messages to us and reminds us of our wedding!

In any case, I love the ideas of either 1) giving a microgame as a wedding favor or 2) using these meeples to play a large social game at one of the wedding events.

And I'm very impressed by the game ideas proposed here so far (and so quickly!). Let us know what you end up using!


That Jenga idea is very cool, and will definitely put on here what game we end up choosing.

nomoredroids wrote:


I'll take that as a compliment.

How did it play? I meant to test it with my wife last night but forgot. I sort of tested it a couple times before posting, but obviously I knew what the die result was so I couldn't do much aside from seeing how the results stack up.

Anything you were stuck on, or that made you read it twice, rules-wise? The game should be easily understood for non-gamers, and if it isn't, it is likely due to phrasing, which, as I've said previously, is pretty rough. If you give me some feedback I can work on it to make it more easily understood.


I was a compliment . In the beginning it played a little confusing, but I'll take blame for that as we were in a hurry. Setup made me read it twice, but again I take blame for that. Considering this will be on a card I'm not sure the play area fits on there, or the rules fit lol.

One thing we ran into was the rule about moving one step closer to the die roll. In this scenario the heart gets moved to space 5 from the middle, and both meeples are on a different space 3. If the roll was a 3 and the heart was moved that means we have to move one of the meeples one step closer to space 3, but since we are on space 3 does that mean neither one will move?

You can hold off answering questions and refining things if you'd like until we get more of an idea of what we are looking for. Playtesting is what is helping us figure out how we should take this. I'd really hate to waste your time should we choose something else.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think tonight after Agents of Shield (after the Captain America movie I need to know what happens), we will actually sit down and devote 1-2 hrs playtesting everything on here right, since last night was done in a hurry.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It actually means you lost. Rules, Page 4, Section 3.13a, Paragraph 9er, Subsection F:

"If you must move a piece and cannot (because you're on the number of the die result), you lose."

That was actually intentional! Hooray!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I had read that rule, but wasn't sure if I could take one step closer to the other 3. This just means I interpreted it right.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a little design from me:



This is a push-your-luck game for 2 players, you need one meeple for each player, a die and a marker (you can use the heart):

Both players start with their meeple on the cell at the bottom. Their goal is the heart at the top of the board.

On the beginning of a players turn he puts the marker on the same cell as his meeple. Then he throws the die. If the result is equal or higher than the number of one of the two next cells he may advance to this cell (you're not allowed to advance to the same cell your opponent is standing on).
Then the player may either choose to stop his turn or he may continue.

The turn of a player ends if either:
-The player chooses to end his turn or
-the number of the die is too small to advance the meeple.

In the second case the player lose his complete turn. This means, he has to put his meeple back to the marked cell.

The first player to reach the top cell is the winner.


Example:
A throws a 4. He advances to the left (the cell with a "3") and continues: He throws a 6. He advances to the right (the cell with a "5") and stops his turn.
B throws a 5. He advances to the right (the cell with a "5") and continues: He throws a 6. The left cell is blocked so he moves to the rigt (onto the cell with a "2") and continues: He throws a 1. This is too small to advance (he needed at least a 3) so the player loses his turn and puts his meeple back to the start.
5 
 Thumb up
38.56
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.