Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Van Horsen
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb

This is a bit long winded, but I wanted to share it because I know how much I enjoy reading about everyone else's adventures.

On Saturday night, a friend and I finally sat down to take on our first story quest. Prior to this session, we had both played a solo session and a small chapter quest session. We had also just completed the Red Wedding quest chain the night before. Being such, we were both very comfortable with how the game plays, and have a very strong grasp of the rules. I was to play the Soldier and my friend, the Acolyte. We house ruled that because we had completed the Red Wedding quest chain the night before, we would each keep a single item for this play session. I decided to keep my Long Sword, and the Acolyte kept his Dark Crystal. We decided for this evening, we would take on the Mad King story quest and jumped right into Act 1 – Circle the Wagons.

Starting at the camp fire, we were immediately welcomed by two hunting parties of crawlers, each 5 minions deep. We opted for no lairs (since we would be facing plenty once we moved to the 12x12) and rolled up the Consuming Darkness trap. For my first move, I bee-lined to the trap and got to work on disarming it. Fortunately, I made my roll on the first try and we collected our 3 serendipity. The Acolyte moved in and started laying waste to the crawlers. A quick refresh and some more fighting and the remaining crawlers finally get a chance to retaliate. I ended up taking some minor damage and feel slightly nauseas from poison entering my bloodstream. Fortunately the Acolyte casts Blood of an Overcomer on me, and I immediately am feeling better. A quick search of the crawlers corpses reveals a couple gold pieces and a Potion of Vitality. Exhilarated, I spin and lop off the head of the remaining crawler with my Hidden Blade. The tile is cleared.

Then the weirdest thing happened. The Acolyte happens to just find 6 gold lying in the dirt and at the same moment, a wandering Merchant enters the clearing. We glance at each other and laugh and with the newly acquired gold burning holes in our rucksack, we purchase some armor from the Merchant and head out of the woods. Little did we know the hell we were about to enter.

Entering the 12x12 tile, we added two lairs of Grubbers, and the wagon between them. With the hope of completing at a minimum, Act 1, we decide we would not be pulling a quest card, focusing exclusively on the tile at hand. We also determine that we would not include any additional hunting parties. We’ve played enough to know that things can get out of hand quickly, so we proceeded into the Hero Cycle. We discuss it and we agree that we needed to do what we could to get to the spawns and take them out as soon as possible. However, somewhere within the next few rounds, through a combination of missed attacks and probably a little too much focus on popping treasures, we find ourselves overrun with Grubbers. We were now running almost two base games worth of grubbers on the tile, when the Darkness Activates and we receive a deadly spawn. Two captains pop out of the lairs and the hairs on my neck stand on end. (We thought maybe we were supposed to have popped 4 captains, 2 from each lair, but because I had only brought my set of minions with me and left my extra captains at home, we would just go with what we had). Two captains was enough.

Both myself and the Acolyte go into overdrive and start killing as much as we can to get to the lairs and destroy them. One lair is destroyed and a cheer rises over the battlefield. Unfortunately, due to our uncontrolled destruction, we realize we are both at 10 threat and the Darkness is activating. AP costs are doubled for the remainder of the act. Oh crap. It was bad enough that each spawn was bringing more and more Grubbers due to the wagons effect, but now we were cycling darkness at an alarming rate. A single Harvest of Bones is now costing me 4 AP (3 if I am fortunate enough to roll a Rage on my Long Sword), but the additional Rage cards to increase my effectiveness are forcing me to retain threat. Darkness Activates. If you have two captains of the same type, instead turn one into a mini-boss. A panicked scream. Yardu appears on the edge of the clearing.

I am running low on health from tanking so many Grubbers and with the darkness activating twice as fast, it’s only a matter of time before we both die. A couple more rounds and both lairs are now gone, with the majority of the minions dead. I’ve survived a round of Yardu’s attacks using my Impenetrable card and forced Yardu to reroll a fate recipe with a Helm I had picked up during the course of the battle, preventing him from running over to the Acolyte for a Devastating attack. Sadly, the next round the Acolyte is killed by the remaining captain. I down my Vitality potion and take some shots at Yardu. It’s only a matter of time before I die too.

Or not! Just then, on the edge of the clearing an Archer appears. “Hey Guys, what’s happening?” We’ve decided it was time for reinforcements and we bring the Acolyte’s wife into the game. We spend our three Serendipity (we knew it should have been 4, but we were now in house rule territory), and decide since she just came from camp, she had the foresight to pack a resurrection potion with her. A couple rounds later I’ve taken 3 hits from Yardu, the Archer has downed the captain and has resurrected the Acolyte. We refresh, and I announce that I am going to run from Yardu to a safer spot and hope our freshly ressed Acolyte can get some healing on me asap. I bust a sprint, hustle and use both movement points to move 7 spots and position myself behind the Acolyte on the other side of the board. Phew safe and sound. I express my apologies as Yardu runs straight to the Archer and starts swinging. Yardu lands two of his four attacks on the Archer and then comes up with a Rage on his fate dice. Oh crap! The Acolyte is within two spaces of the Archer! Yardu saunters over to the Acolyte and lays the smack down. Acolyte takes a single hit, but Yardu rolls a Rage again. Yardu pushes past the Acolyte, stopping before me as I cower in the corner of the board. We all start laughing. Laughing hard. Yardu proceeds to pummel me, doing three damage and killing me right there on the spot. Evidently you can’t hide from Yardu.

As I wipe the tears from my eyes from the laughter, we concede defeat. It was my destiny to die that day.

We ended up restarting at the tile edge and doing the 12x12 over. This time we stuck to the plan and executed the tile almost flawlessly. We did have two captains spawn again, but we focused on the lairs and cleared the tile.

Our next tile was a 4x6 and we rolled a Crushing Wall trap. We opted for no hunting parties, with an effort to get through this as quickly as possible and on to the final 12x12. Obviously we couldn’t roll under the initial zero AP for the tile, so the AP jumped to 3 and we went to work. Fortunately, we were able to disarm both switches on our first try. We collected our Serendipity and proceeded through the tile immediately.

The 12x12 was a duplicate of what we had already spent the last 4 hours playing. There was a sense of dread in the air, but we felt confident that we would be able to apply what we had learned on the previous 12x12 to be much more efficient. Again, we setup the two lairs, but we placed them as close to us as possible while still being in the purple, since it was getting late. We placed the wagon between the two and spawned our Grubbers. We decided again that we would forego a quest for this tile. Obviously that isn’t what the tile recommends, but it’s a sandbox right? As we started the Hero Cycle I realized I had Riding the Edge in my hand. Before me stood a line of 6 Grubbers, snarling and salivating at us. I took two moves and lined up beside them, I then loaded up on Rage and played my Riding the Edge. BOOM. I slaughter 6 Grubbers in a row, popping two treasures and opening up access to both the lairs. With some liberal use of Last Rites and Orion’s Tears, the lairs were destroyed within a few turns. We finished clearing the tile and celebrated the completion of the act.

The first act ultimately took us about 5.5 hours to complete, but most of that was due to us letting things get out of hand and not focusing on the lairs like we knew we should have. In the future I am sure it would be closer to three hours or less. We had a great time, and of the few sessions I had already played of Myth, this one really made me fall in love with the game. Playing the game for what it is, and using the Myth framework to tell a story is where this game shines. I loved the fact that we bent the rules and let the story develop into a new direction with the Archer emerging from the woods. I think I like it even more because not only did it do little to allow us to beat the tile, but it also created a more vivid story of redemption and ultimately, defeat. We bent the rules where it made sense, and molded the game to fit our needs without losing any bit of challenge. I had a blast playing and spending the evening with friends and that’s really what Myth is all about. I can’t recommend this game more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This was delightful to read. the archer arriving with a rez potion really nails to me how you make this game what you want for telling stories and having fun....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the stirring tale. I like how you crafted the gameplay to the storytelling, also in how you related it here. Clearly there is room for this thread here. I like how you adapted from session to the other. The talk from the devs was that as you get more proficient as a group and with a character your gameplay streamlines.

This was clearly shown in your report. I look forward to diving into these same stories after a few demo runthroughs to get acquainted with the ebb and flow of the game. I like what you did to transition from the quest chain in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, thanks for sharing!

And nice idea for a bumper sticker:

[ You can’t hide from Yardu! ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillis
Canada
Killam
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

Awesome Bill. Just imagine what other surprises wait with the Razonfiend, Etrus, Og and Kisi, and Alison. Then there is the Bosses.

Ah, the anticipation!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One note that actually makes Yardu a bit less menacing, he actually only rolls FD once per Darkness Cycle.

After his initial attack, you roll 4 FD. Then check for Necrotic Aura, and then check for Sinner's Sorrow. For every Rage symbol rolled from that initial 4FD roll, he attacks a new Hero if he can reach them. He stops if he's attacked every Hero at least once during the Darkness Cycle.

In other words, you don't re-roll after every Sinner's Sorrow attack and then check for Sinner's Sorrow again. You simply roll the 4 FD once, and count up the number of Rage symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
One note that actually makes Yardu a bit less menacing, he actually only rolls FD once per Darkness Cycle.

After his initial attack, you roll 4 FD. Then check for Necrotic Aura, and then check for Sinner's Sorrow. For every Rage symbol rolled from that initial 4FD roll, he attacks a new Hero if he can reach them. He stops if he's attacked every Hero at least once during the Darkness Cycle.

In other words, you don't re-roll after every Sinner's Sorrow attack and then check for Sinner's Sorrow again. You simply roll the 4 FD once, and count up the number of Rage symbols.

This is incorrect. It is one of the reasons we are working to get our FAQ up. Some of the unoffical FAQ is not quite correct.

We pulled in the Geeklist here, the unoffical FAQ, and the stuff from our own forums to build the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Who said this? Not us. I think you'll find this is wrong.

It is one of the reasons we are working to get the FAQ up, because some of the unoffical FAQ is just simply wrong.

Kenny just said it today on the MCG forum.

Here is one post:
http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/357/a-few-que...

Kenny said Death by Chocolate had it right, and here was the original Q&A with DBC:
Quote:
(me) For Sinner's Sorrow, does he roll 4 FD once and attack as many Heroes as the number of Rage he rolls (until everyone is attacked, and assuming he can get to everyone with 3MP per attack)? Or does he keep re-rolling 4 FD after every attack, and then move on to the next Hero if he rolls Rage?

Quote:
(DBC) The former. If he rolls X rages, he can move 3 and attack a new hero X times.

I take it that you trump Kenny, so I'll make corrections in the several places I posted Kenny's reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Who said this? Not us. I think you'll find this is wrong.

It is one of the reasons we are working to get the FAQ up, because some of the unoffical FAQ is just simply wrong.

Kenny just said it today on the MCG forum.

Here is one post:
http://megacongames.com/community/#/discussion/357/a-few-que...

Kenny said Death by Chocolate had it right, and here was the original Q&A with DBC:
Quote:
(me) For Sinner's Sorrow, does he roll 4 FD once and attack as many Heroes as the number of Rage he rolls (until everyone is attacked, and assuming he can get to everyone with 3MP per attack)? Or does he keep re-rolling 4 FD after every attack, and then move on to the next Hero if he rolls Rage?

Quote:
(DBC) The former. If he rolls X rages, he can move 3 and attack a new hero X times.

I take it that you trump Kenny, so I'll make corrections in the several places I posted Kenny's reply.

You don't need to; he knows. We went through everything today. The official FAQ will be up this week (probably Wednesday).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:

We pulled in the Geeklist here, the unoffical FAQ, and the stuff from our own forums to build the FAQ.

Also, have you looked at these threads which are linked to on Myth's BGG page:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1146733/potential-unclarity-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1142553/compilation-of-item-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1146835/potential-unclarity-...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1148566/slaughterfield-durin...
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15372104#15372104
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1146718/the-unofficial-but-o...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1149817/yardu-clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

This is incorrect. It is one of the reasons we are working to get our FAQ up. Some of the unoffical FAQ is not quite correct.

Lastly, if you chain Sinner's Sorrow FD rolls, do you recheck Necrotic Aura every time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:

We did look at most of these: items, slaughterfield, and yardu for sure.

Thanks for the extra links. I know we didn't look at a couple. We'll check them out. Regardless, we are putting the FAQ up to get feedback as much as to provide a more official place to find answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Shotton
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Lastly, if you chain Sinner's Sorrow FD rolls, do you recheck Necrotic Aura every time?

The FAQ answers this question directly. The Yardu card has some errata to go along with the clarifications the FAQ provides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this great session report.
You've given a 'fanboy' hope ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read!

You crafted an awesome tale that has all the trappings of an epic adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jeffries
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

The FAQ answers this question directly. The Yardu card has some errata to go along with the clarifications the FAQ provides.

Since even the cards have errata, if not simply vague wording, I would appreciate updated cards. At a minimum, one could print out a PDF of the revised cards and conveniently place them in front of the old card in the sleeves. This would be sufficient for me. Ideally, I would like to see a card reprinting for these cards. I think this is even more critical than a rulebook reprinting. I would actually pay for both reprintings, if they are of high quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Pooler
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent read! This is the kind of stuff I love to see from this game. If you have the mind set for the storyteller element, once you get past the rules/FAQ's its a pretty damn fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Preston
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend printing out the hero deck reference sheet on the website 2-sided. It gives every person a single page to clarify any of their cards.

I was the ill-fated Acolyte. I couldn't think of a better way to spend Tabletop day. The realization that the brave soldier hiding under my skirt was about to get clobbered was just fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ondrej Kocnar
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madchow wrote:
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
BShotton wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:

Since even the cards have errata, if not simply vague wording, I would appreciate updated cards. At a minimum, one could print out a PDF of the revised cards and conveniently place them in front of the old card in the sleeves. This would be sufficient for me. Ideally, I would like to see a card reprinting for these cards. I think this is even more critical than a rulebook reprinting. I would actually pay for both reprintings, if they are of high quality.

I would like them to reprint the bad cards and give them free to backers with their new KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Preston
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the pic of what the board looked like before the Archer came to try and save our bacon. We used a D6 to dial down the health of Lairs. It was much easier than using the blood marker on the darkness board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Machado
Brazil
Florianópolis
Santa Catarina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading some things around the forums (the possible lack of miniatures with one box was the one that bothered me the most) I was getting second thoughts about buying Myth...
But your session report, and how you bent the rules to tell an amazing (that sounds like a lot of fun) story, rekindled my interest in the game. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sideways monkey
msg tools

"You can't hide from Yardu..."

I love this game!

http://sidewaysmonkey.deviantart.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.