Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Which data packs for a newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Selwyn
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
So, i've just got into Netrunner and i only have the core set. I was wondering which of the preceding 12 data packs might be considered 'essential', or at least are there some that people could recommend as better choices?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Beginner's Guide To Expanding Netrunner

Here is the thread I made on the topic. Haven't done Double Time, but it's a weaker pack anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hawks
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
Haven't done Double Time, but it's a weaker pack anyway.

Buh? Double Time is a great pack! Caprice Neisi on her own is worth the price, and there are a bunch of other great cards, like Quandary and NAPD Contract. Granted, there isn't that much on the Runner side, but most players will want to pick it up soonish for the great corp cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
A Beginner's Guide To Expanding Netrunner

Here is the thread I made on the topic. Haven't done Double Time, but it's a weaker pack anyway.

You're a weaker pack. Double time is amazing incredible! IT HAS TWO STEALTH HARDWARE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banjothulu wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:
Haven't done Double Time, but it's a weaker pack anyway.

Buh? Double Time is a great pack! Caprice Neisi on her own is worth the price, and there are a bunch of other great cards, like Quandary and NAPD Contract. Granted, there isn't that much on the Runner side, but most players will want to pick it up soonish for the great corp cards.

True, but everything besides those three is pretty much bunk, and it's hard to get motivated to write about it. And Quandary is really boring, just an efficiency upgrade and only NBN really wants NAPD, and yeah. Caprice is cool though. I'll put something up tonight or tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Neufeld
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My thoughts:

"What Lies Ahead" (Genesis Cycle) is still considered pretty essential, as it includes agendas for each of the 4 corp factions, and some other cards that have held their strength over time (Ash, Caduceus and Plascrete in particular).

"Opening Moves" (Spin Cycle) is another big one, bringing in popular cards like Jackson Howard, Grim, Hostage, and Geothermal Fracking.

If you're looking at the NBN corporation, you cannot pass up "Future Proof" (Genesis Cycle) as it contains the amazing Project Beale, and Midseason Replacements. It's also widely loved for R&D Interface, Faerie, Indexing, and Ronin.

"Fear and Loathing" (Spin Cycle) is a pretty recent addition to the pool, but cards like Wraparound, Blackmail, Subliminal Messaging, and Market Research have gotten a lot of attention and use.

"True Colors" is another big one for me - RSVP, Sweeps Week, and TGTBT for NBN, Shock! and Tsurugi for Jinteki, as well as Fenris, Keyhole, Garrote ...

"Humanity's Shadow" (Genesis Cycle) has the wildly popular Criminal identity Andromeda, the wildly popular economic resource Kati Jones, and Eve Campaign.

"Mala Tempora" (Spin Cycle) opens up Knight, Power Shutdown, and Interns.

"Cyber Exodus" (Genesis Cycle) gave us Test Run, Emergency Shutdown, and Pop-up Window.

"Second Thoughts" (Spin Cycle) has some good economy with Restructure and Shipment from SanSan.

"A Study in Static" (Genesis Cycle) has the soon-to-be-popular Deus X.

"Trace Amount" (Genesis Cycle) ... has little to recommend other than Fetal AI for Jinteki, and Liberated Accounts for Anarchs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely get What Lies Ahead first for the sake of agenda diversity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Silver
msg tools
Here is another good guide up through True Colors.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Netrunner/wiki/buyingguide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
First, for absolute, positive sure, get "What Lies Ahead". The new agendas for each corporation open up your deckbuilding a lot.

After that, I would just pick packs based on the cards that catch your eye.

Weak recommendation for "Opening Moves" (Jackson Howard an Grim are key cards for corps) and "Creation and Control" get's you a lot for the money if you don't mind unbalancing your card pool in favor of HB and Shaper. I say weak, not because these are not good expansions, but because the better advice is for you to get packs based on the cards you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb
hoobajoo wrote:
...only NBN really wants NAPD...

Everyone wants NAPD except for maybe Weyland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None are essential. I think the closest one would be What Lies Ahead, just because Plascrete Carapace is so necessary in the current meta.

But really, it depends on what Corp and Runner you play with and what to make better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain_Frisk wrote:
hoobajoo wrote:
...only NBN really wants NAPD...

Everyone wants NAPD except for maybe Weyland.

And any HB running Shipment from SanSan. And any deck running Profiteering. Or Grim.

I stand by my words, you can do a lot better than a blank 4/2 that's tough to steal in most factions, and a lot of decks want to leverage bad pub in one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Selwyn
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, just what I needed :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're thinking of expansions AT ALL when you're buying this game, get What Lies Ahead with your base set.

-Cyber Exodus, Future Proof and Opening Moves are great 2nd-4th packs.
-After that I bought Humanity's Shadow, Trace Amounts, and Fear and Loathing as 5th-7th.

The rest of Spin cycle looks equally good. Considering Second Thoughts and Double Time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.