Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!
I am working on a new board/card game called Arsenal, and I'm interested in some feedback on the artwork. This stuff is straight from the gameplay section of my website, you can go there if you're curious about game mechanics.

http://arsenalarena.com

I'm just trying to get a feel for what people think not only of the actual artwork, but also of the card design. Is the text readable, are the numbers big enough, does the layout make sense, stuff like that. All questions and comments welcome :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Great art man! Really cool game.

I think the readability can benefit from a good rule always applicable in graphic design: use 2 types, 3 if its just really necessary.

Maybe in some cards the white area could be more readable with a little less transparency, but this it's just being picky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you're right about the transparency. It was originally formatted in RGB, but when converted to CMYK for printing, one of the side-effects was reduced transparency in that layer O.o
You also have a point about the fonts. I wanted a different font for each point of focus (card title, keywords, card text, flavor text, requirements, number data). I MAY have overdone it, lol, but I still think it looks good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought when I saw the game board was it looks almost just like Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery

The card art is excellent though yeah making sure the text can be easily read could help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never actually seen that game before, haha! I guess there's only so much you can do with a hex-based arena, lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanenopolis wrote:
I have never actually seen that game before, haha! I guess there's only so much you can do with a hex-based arena, lol!

True, though you could always go high tech and make it more Tron like or even metal plates. Could make for a more RoboRally or BattleBots kind of arena of death. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My intention is to release a new edition of the core set each year (which includes the game board), letting a different artist envision the arena each time. This will allow for a multitude of different arenas over time. All of those suggestions are possible!
One common theme well run throughout, though. They will be worn and weathered. In the Arsenal universe, the mech arena is big business. There will be stadiums all over the world in different flavors and tone, with varying levels of expense or maintenance. It will be a lived-in world, full of character. At least... that's the goal, haha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took a closer look, there are only 3 text fonts in use, and a fourth for only numbers.

Card title and keyword text: Airstrike Regular
Body text and requirements (all caps makes it look different): Agency FB
Flavor text and artist credit/copywrite info: Adobe Hebrew

The big numbers for cost and damage and HP and stuff: BIGMACCA Regular

Different sizes might make them look different, but I don't think it's too many different styles.

I HAVE decided to increase transparency of the text background on the bottom layer by 10%, it looks a little better, thanks for the input :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.