Bel Aire
Kansas
flag msg tools
publisher
http://www.eggrules.com/games/games-d-l/gallerist-the/
badge
US Sales Manager for Eagle-Gryphon Games
mbmbmbmbmb
In the game of Rococo, you own a fancy dress making business and it's up to you to make sure you hire the right employees and give them the right tasks so that you are able to maximize your time because there are only 7 day (rounds) until the Grand Ball!

I demoed this game twice over the weekend. The first time, was at my 1st Friday Game Session and the second time was for TableTop Day! This report will cover both games!

For the Friday session, I was joined by Nicolas, Nathan, and Rebecca. Rococo has an interesting new take on deck building, you start the game with 5 employee cards. From those 5, you pick 3 of them to use for the round. You can perform different tasks with each card, but only certain employees can perform certain actions. An example being that only a Master Dressmaker, represented by a golden thimble can hire a new employee card for your deck. Most employee cards also can do a bonus action after their main action.

After explaining the rules and concepts to them, I started off the game by purchasing some silk. In the early game, silk from the warehouse is often taken as much as possible. However, the more silk that gets purchased, the cheaper the left over silk becomes for others in the current round.

After everyone had used all of their available employees, we refilled the dresses and silk, set out the new employees for hire, and gave everyone their money. Over the course of the game, Rebecca hired several employees and never deputed any (I believe she ended the game with 14 employees.) This gave her a big advantage because the had some employee's with bonuses for having a large employee deck, but hurt her because she didn't get to use her good employees that often.

At the end of the 7th round, we counted up our scores for our left over money, employee bonuses, The Queen's Favor card, rented dresses, etc. It was a close game with Nicolas and Nathan within one point of each other at 53 and 54. I had 67 points, and Rebecca, who had a employee bonus that gave her several points if she had 11+ employees in her employee deck got the victory with 75.

On TableTop Day, my FLGS, gave me a 3pm featured demo slot which I used to once again demo Rococo. For this game I was joined by Mickie, Daniel, Jeremy, and Brian.

In this game, the warehouse was almost always out of silk tiles by the end of each round. On the first round I was able to make a really nice dress and sold it for some much needed cash. This helped with a new strategy I was going to try with heavily investing into the decorations. I also spent more time this game acquiring better employee cards to make my deck better overall.

In the end, this worked out for me. I won with 63 points! Overall it was still a fairly close game. Mickie had 44, Daniel had 40, Jeremy had 47, and Brain had 55.

This game has always been a big hit, the theme is unique and fun, the mechanics are very good, and it's absolutely worth your time to play! I'm already looking forward to the next time I get to teach it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.