Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nomikos
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a variant that "fixes" the "5" cards. It rewards the players getting the "5" cards, and removes the present randomness from the game associated with these cards.

Enjoy,
Paul

Three-Color Cube Variant

You will need 3 cubes (green, blue, red).

During a round, if you get the green "5" part of a winning trick, you get the green cube. Similarly for the other two colours.

At the start of the first round, just distribute randomly the 3 coloured cubes among the players.

At the start of any round:
The player with the Blue cube, draws 2 quest tiles.
The player with the Green cube, draws 2 special cards.
The player with the Red cube, is the dealer and deals an equal amount of cards to the players with one exception. It gives one less card to the player with the Green cube.

After each player gets his cards (in this order):
The player with the Blue cube, selects one scoring rule between the 4 available to him, declares this rule to the other players, and discards the other quest tile.
The player with the Green cube, selects one special card between the 2 available to him, declares and explains the selected card to the other players, discards the other card, and he adds the selected card to his hand.
The player with the Red cube is the starting player for the first trick.

Players return the cubes in the middle of the table. The cubes will be claimed by the players that will win the corresponding "5" card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
What order works best?
Blue, green red?

If you know who has the special card, doesn't that take away some of the ...balance? Some specials might never get played

Love the concept though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nomikos
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The player with the Blue cube makes his decision first and then the person with the Green cube.

For your second question: That is why the person with the Green cube selects from two special cards. He gets a good card, but the penalty is that everybody knows about it. Try it. You will see , it works well. The player with the Green cube needs to "work" to make his special card to be effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will! thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this tonight. Something we changed up:

The green(dwarf) cube determines the dealer (consistent with the original rules)

And the red(goblin) cube gets to pick the special card.

Don't know if I'm a fan of the choosing between 2 cards/quests. Next time I think I'd just play that they draw 1. Blue cube still gets to pick between the 2 quests on the tile.

Seemed to go a little smoother since you know where the roles are at the beginning of the turn. One negative difference is that you lose a bit of information. In the original game you know where the 5's are which means you can use that info during the game. Adds a little strategy IMO but maybe that was something you didn't like.

I'd try it again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.