trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering what some thought about this simple variant we are using in our second campaign and so far it is going very well through the first 4 quests.

Simply, the OL can spend threat. Period. The heroes don't get to use it for their bonuses

Our reasoning is this. Threat is helpful in balancing things towards the OL, our first campaign we played with no agents, and the heroes won, by a lot. Then we started another campaign, with agents, which was stopped halfway through as the group kinda split apart. While threat helped the OL a little, it didn't do enough because the heroes bonuses by using the threat also really helped them a lot.

So we took that part out. And so far the quests have been really fun and we have all agreed have felt more fair. One big thing: threat is hard enough to really gain, and OL cards are really nice too, and it's hard for the OL to really stockpile either.

So have others tried this? What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo your problem is the selection of heroes. I play against me with randomly chosen heroes and I was not able to win a single quest as the heroes (except for the First blood).

The lieutnant packs are not suppose to strenghten OL, just give him other options, that in some circumstances can help him, but later they help heroes.

If you have the problem with the heroes be too strong, go for your rule modification. The game is only interesting, when both sides are balanced and can win. If you realize, that the different selection of heroes gets beaten too often, switch your rules back to the original ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the variant idea, I can sort of see the reasoning behind it. The Overlord already has an opportunity cost for gaining threat: he forgoes the extra Overlord card for knocking down a hero. So in that sense, it does seem like he is paying for it twice, once by not getting a card and then again by giving the heroes fortune.

That said, not all Threat is gained in place of an overlord card, and the Plot Card abilities were (in theory) designed to be strong enough that they offset both costs to using them.

But hey, if you find it helps balance in your group, then I don't see any reason not to house rule it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
A less severe version is just to stop the heroes using threat for the extra action. That's the real power in it, the re-roll is nice to have, and the shop items handy, but nowhere near what getting an entire extra action is.

I'm half convinced that the "two threat tokens = extra action" rule exists only to limit the Overlord to playing four threat per quest, unless the heroes start taking some of the benefits.

As for other balance stuff... depends which campaigns you are playing really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tondl
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like that rule. I think i will try that next time. Simple and effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.