Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Kerkvliet
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, first a little background info. I have become a more serious board game hobbyist over the past year. I avoided dominion because the deck building thing just didn't sound fun to me. However, I had many people tell me to try Legendary and I absolutely love it. Now I want to add at least one more deck builder to my collection. What are some good deck builders that would make a good addition to a modestly growing board game collection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin is a fantasy themed deck builder where you delve into a dungeon. It has a pretty extensive number of expansions, if you're looking for a theme heavy game that sort of simulates a dungeon crawl this is it.

You might also try Shadowrift if you're looking for a co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DC Comics Deck-Building Game- fast, fun, easy to teach, easy to learn.
Resident Evil Deck Building Game- nice art, fun gameplay, has multiple game modes, nice challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition). I've shouted the praises of this game so many times so I'll say something new: the only deckbuilder on the market that doesn't need any expansions to stay fresh and interesting each game

*edit* Except for maybe A Few Acres of Snow. And only if you don't research the strategy. You know the one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trains is a deckbuilder/network building hybrid if you want to try something a little bit different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition). I've shouted the praises of this game so many times so I'll say something new: the only deckbuilder on the market that doesn't need any expansions to stay fresh and interesting each game

*edit* Except for maybe A Few Acres of Snow. And only if you don't research the strategy. You know the one.

Puzzle Strike is a good one; my vote also goes to it. It's one of the few deck builders that has player interaction, a unique mechanic (gem anteing), and different player powers right at the start.

-DC deck builder looks too simple (only one currency in the game?)
-Ascension supposedly needs a lot of expansions, otherwise feels very random.
-Dominion started the trend, but feels very solitaire to me and theme is missing.
-Resident Evil is very luck dependent it seems. You can go dungeon delving and find a strong monster on the first turn, or find a super weapon for your use.
-Thunderstones Advanced is decent, but is very repetitive and lengthy. Felt very dry to me, and the light aspect seemed kind of tacted on (it makes thematic sense, but it's just another combat modifier, nothing super innovative).
-Don't know anything about core worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Not the only one!cool

Arcana if you like this kind of game: almost no engine-building, it is focused on "bidding" (kind of) to get cards (=points).

Rune Age; this is about confrontation. It does not need a ton of cards. All right, it got an expansion: two new factions and three new scenarios (game modes) and a couple of event cards for the old scenarios.

...they had not as much success as Puzzle Strike...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Mccabe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet, but Ascension: Deckbuilding Game has been a bigger hit in my group than Dominion, though Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game IS the groups first choice lately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
-Ascension supposedly needs a lot of expansions, otherwise feels very random.

The base (Chronicle of the Godslayer) and expansion (Return of the Fallen) of the first block makes a good pair. If I started now, I might consider starting with the second block (Storm of Souls) instead.

Fatesadvent wrote:
-Dominion started the trend, but feels very solitaire to me and theme is missing.
-Don't know anything about core worlds.

My feelings exactly about Dominion. I found my kind of deckbuilder from Core Worlds. The theme fits, and it is not all about building your deck, so you can get into the game much more easily. There is a feel of progression due to cards coming from 5 different decks, and you have to manage both your actions and energy, and try to anticipate what the other players are doing. No two games are alike. The expansion Galactic Orders makes a great game even better, so I recommend adding it at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Legendary, Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is the closest thing to the same style of deck builder. It plays very similarly, but it's also simpler and shorter, which makes me think you may want to look for deck builders elsewhere. For what it's worth, these are the two deck builders in my collection, but I started with Ascension.

One that doesn't get recommended enough is Fantastiqa. It's a little on the simpler side, but every time I play it I feel like I'm wanting to tweak my strategy a little bit. It's almost like an onion that you peel away the layers of. The more you play it, the more thinky it becomes.

Of course you could always go straight to the top and play Mage Knight Board Game. This is the most complex deck builder out there, but also one of the most rewarding ones. The solitaire mode is excellent, but I haven't tried it with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start looking at Ascension, grab the second block, Ascension: Storm of Souls and the expansion Ascension: Immortal Heroes. Ascension games come out with one stand alone, plus one expansions. While you can mix all the cards from any set together, it can really through your synergies off.

The second block is better than the first. With the first set, you can just lay your entire hand on the table and buy/beat up whatever you can. With the second set, the order you play your cards in becomes more important. As an example, you could purchase a card from the center row, and the newly revealed card allows you to banish a card in your hand for something else. Also cards you play from your hand may allow you to banish cards in your hand, etc.

It's important to know that if you just purchase one of the stand alone's, you can have fun, but when you buy the paired expansion you will feel it definitely completes the game.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension is fantastic with two players, but it gets worse the more you add. I can't in good conscience recommend it unless you're mainly going to be playing two player games, but if that happens to be your situation you should definitely go for it. It's the best DBG for 2 and the worst for 4+.

I'd probably go for Thunderstone Advance. Maybe the Numenara set to start with. It has a theme, and lots of interesting decisions and risk management on each turn.

Dominion is the granddaddy, but it's the sort of game where you spend 1-5 minutes formulating your plan at the beginning of the game and then the rest is autopilot. If that doesn't turn you off then it's a great pick. It's still the tightest and most elegant example of the genre, especially if you start with the original core set. It's also far and away the best option for sometimes-gamers (ie: the Catan and Ticket to Ride crowd), which can be a consideration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PUZZLE STRIKE!!! You can try this online at fantasystrike.com
Ascension great game and great app as well.
Thunderstone Advance Good game/Great Theme
Eminent Domain Deckbuilding with a Twist
a little lower on the charts
Night Fall
Eaten by zombies
Both with a little something unexpected

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
humbleroots wrote:
Eminent Domain Deckbuilding with a Twist

The twist being that it is more of a role selection (a'la Race of the Galaxy) building game than deckbuilding game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I like Nightfall an awful lot. The chaining mechanic is pretty slick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
jukujin wrote:
My wife and I like Nightfall an awful lot. The chaining mechanic is pretty slick.
I swear I have NEVER heard of Nightfall at all this morning. I've now seen it in half a dozen threads so far today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
If you start looking at Ascension, grab the second block, Ascension: Storm of Souls and the expansion Ascension: Immortal Heroes. Ascension games come out with one stand alone, plus one expansions. While you can mix all the cards from any set together, it can really through your synergies off.

This +1!

Asension is my favorite pure deck-builder. I play it a lot on iOS and quite a bit with the physical sets. I own them all and most of the extras/promos. I've even custom made several of my own cards and modules. I prefer it as a two-player game. Three is okay. 4+ definitely stinks shake

That being said, I enjoy Legendary quite a bit, as well. The semi-coop thing doesn't really work for me, but the gameplay is every bit as good as Ascension (if not better), at the cost of a much longer setup/breakdown time. Worth noting: Legendary is a much better solitaire game.

Mage Knight is an epic-sized game with an amazing deck-building variant that drives it's gameplay, but it takes a lot of effort and patience to get to the table. It's great for solo play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.