Aron West
Canada
Greater Toronto Area
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many fans asked/demanded/pleaded that we consider re-issuing the Soloth expansion in the new art style. We are pleased to confirm that we have done just that as the campaign enters the final week. Check out the updated Kickstarter page for details. Concept artwork for the box cover has been posted here on BGG. Thanks again for your support.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/243822264/catacombs-0?r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
Just a reminder, from a long time fan of your game and customer of your products, of what you once said to your existing customer base about this kickstarter. I'm disappointed.

"Ok the last thing I want to do is upset people before Christmas. So let me again clarify a few things. First of all, we very much appreciate everyone who supported us and helped us make Catacombs a success. Believe me, we really do and we value this feedback. Having said that, we heard you when you said "We don't like the art." (again, again and again), so we thought we would do something about it. People seemed to like what Kwanchai did. I have met him in person and he has done some other work for me, so he seemed like a good fit. We chose Kickstarter because it is now available in Canada and I simply wanted to see how it would work out. To be clear, Catacombs deluxe (or whatever it is called) will not include any of the existing expansions. It will be a re-print of the base game with some improvements we always wanted to make (budget permitting). Things like plastic or metal money, bigger boards with new hole layouts, boundaries around the outside, expanded rule book incorporating some FAQs, things like that. We may tweak a couple of ideas and rules that turned out to be awkward or confusing, but that's it. We know that adding extra game content to an existing title infuriates people, so we weren't even going to go there. We were just looking at making the best base game possible. We don't have any specific plans related to expansions at the moment. Having said that, we would be open to doing a Kickstarter for a new expansion in the old style if that would help people feel better." -Aron West. December 18, 2013 (Re: Catacombs Deluxe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Might be worth noting that the Soloth update was a consistent demand by backers. There were even a significant number of comments from fans of the game saying that they wouldn't support the release unless Soloth was made available as part of this campaign.

I feel like responding to customer demand is probably good practice - even if it means changing their stated plans regarding content in the new edition. Elzra Games had clearly stated that Soloth wasn't intended as part of this project, but the numbers speak for themselves when you see how funding jumped after the expansion was announced.

Although specific plans may have changed, I believe that the main goal remains the same: to give fans of the game, both new and old, a chance to play Catacombs with the best possible production quality.

That might be a small consolation for anyone who wanted expansions to remain exclusive content for the old edition. The good news is that you can probably still get good value from your old edition if you choose to sell/upgrade because the change in art style is divisive and many prefer the older release in that regard.

Very sorry to hear that you are disappointed. Hopefully you continue to enjoy this wonderful game, regardless of which version you are using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
newuser wrote:
I feel like responding to customer demand is probably good practice -

Yes. Of course, that would include the people who are already paying customers.

newuser wrote:
I believe that the main goal remains the same: to give fans of the game, both new and old, a chance to play Catacombs with the best possible production quality.

Well, no. Clearly that is not the case. Otherwise they'd be making larger boards, etc. available to owners of the old game. The new version is essentially an admission that the old version did not have the best possible production quality.

newuser wrote:
Very sorry to hear that you are disappointed. Hopefully you continue to enjoy this wonderful game, regardless of which version you are using.

That's nice and all, but it would mean more coming from the company than from an apologist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A month after this KS is delivered to folks, there will be a new list of possible improvements. As an existing owner of Catacombs (and all expansions), I'm happy to have a new/different version.

And I'm glad the creators don't end up feeling beholden to a past statement that (so many?) potential customers would prefer they had never made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Feral
United States
Los Angeles - Mar Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
One Eternal Round
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
newuser wrote:
I feel like responding to customer demand is probably good practice -

Yes. Of course, that would include the people who are already paying customers.

newuser wrote:
I believe that the main goal remains the same: to give fans of the game, both new and old, a chance to play Catacombs with the best possible production quality.

Well, no. Clearly that is not the case. Otherwise they'd be making larger boards, etc. available to owners of the old game. The new version is essentially an admission that the old version did not have the best possible production quality.

newuser wrote:

That's nice and all, but it would mean more coming from the company than from an apologist.

It's hilarious watching you moan and complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.