Subject: Yomi for iPad comes out April 17th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob 199
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's finally happening!!!

From the press release:

First, a reminder of what Yomi is: it's a fighting game in card form. Each deck represents a character and the decks follow poker conventions to help you learn the contents of your deck more easily. Numbered cards are "normal" moves, face cards are special moves, and aces are super moves.

Furthermore, Yomi is a competitive game. I'm really sad to have to explain this next part, but these days lots of competitive games have turned their back on what competition is all about: even playfields. An even playfield is when you can play against opponents who don't have material advantage over you because they grinded more or because they spent more. Nowadays, even some of the top e-sports have either forced-grinds before you're allowed to get gameplay-relevant elements, or they put some kind of collectable barrier between you and gameplay elements so that you play weak, gimped stuff while you grind or open packs of random cards to eventually get to the point when you can finally be even with others (and have material advantage over those who aren't there yet.) Those things trample on the spirit of competition, so I'd like to be clear that in Yomi:

There's no forced-grind to get characters.
There's no random packs of cards that would have you end up with half-assed weak characters.
You always have full-powered characters and you play against other players who do too.

iPad Specifics:
The iPad version has cross-platform play with the web version. That means any time you join the quickmatch queue, you could end up playing someone from either version. If you have an account already on fantasystrike.com, you can log in with that in the iPad version to keep your same username and your leaderboard stats.

The iPad version will launch at a price of $9.99, and will come with all 10 base characters from the print version of the game. The iPad version also has an in-app purchase option for $9.99 to get the 10 expansion characters as a bundle.

Yomi has these game modes:

Tutorial
Practice vs CPU
Survival
Quickmatch (online vs humans)
Custom game (online vs humans)

You *can* play offline without an internet connection. There are two difficulties of bots: easy and hard. The easy one is pretty easy and is good for learning basic familiarity with the game. The hard one is quite sophisticated though! If you flop around and play randomly, expect to lose.

Leaderboards
There is a leaderboard system where you start out in the "student" ranks, and go up by winning, but don't go down by losing. This is to ease you into things. You also get a longer timer in the student ranks. When you rank up enough, you'll then get to the "master" ranks. Here, you do go down for losing so your rank will become an accurate reflection of your skill.

Replays
Yomi lets you save and watch replays of your games. The most fun aspect of this to me is that you can go to the leaderboard, and by everyone's name there is a "view latest replay" link. So you're always one touch away from watching games from all the top players!

The future
We'd like to add more features, and the more of you who support us, the more we'll be able to do. The first things I'd like to see are an iPhone / iPad Touch version added, as well as translations into a few other languages. After that, we might experiment with random packs of sparkly cards (*cosmetic only*), but not in a way that would restrict you from any gameplay. I'm also looking to add an automated tournaments feature that would let you easily form 8-person tournaments any time. There could be even more, too, if you help spread the word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spectacular!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any discount for people who have already paid to unlock characters in the web version?

Also, any hope of an Android version (plz, plz, plz, plz, plz!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
yessssssssss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed--plan to buy this out and all the IAP to fund future development of Yomi.. And Codex!

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is good news!!!. But 10 dollars its quite a price for an app...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
kalisto59 wrote:
That is good news!!!. But 10 dollars its quite a price for an app...

Spend a dollar on an app that lasts a few hours, or $10.00 on an app that will last you for months (if not years).

It is not that Yomi is expensive, it is that many other apps are ridiculously cheap!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob 199
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found a way to win a free copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob 199
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm throwing a YomiPad release tournament on 4/20, 7pm est.

Rules/Sign up page here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Been interested in Yomi for awhile, this is an excellent entry point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you can use your web account with the iPad version - would an iOS purchase unlock the same characters for the web version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
Since you can use your web account with the iPad version - would an iOS purchase unlock the same characters for the web version?

No. I asked the developer that same question, and they cited Apple's iap structure as a reason that they cannot link purchases. They also said they think they are offering a fair price on iPad, which I agree with. But then again, I didn't already spend between $30 and $100 for all 20 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't either. I like the web version but not enough to pay to unlock the characters. If the iPad purchase would unlock them on the web I would be more likely to use it however. I think $10 is fair, if there is enough population online to get decent match ups quickly.

I bought the Yomi set years ago but no one locally would play, so I ended up selling them all. I do like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
I haven't either. I like the web version but not enough to pay to unlock the characters. If the iPad purchase would unlock them on the web I would be more likely to use it however. I think $10 is fair, if there is enough population online to get decent match ups quickly.

I bought the Yomi set years ago but no one locally would play, so I ended up selling them all. I do like the game.

The cool thing about the iPad version is that you can play against people using the web version as well, so you don't have to worry about how many people will get this for iPad, although I hope that a lot of people do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am honestly seriously considering to finally pick up an iPad to play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zejety wrote:
I am honestly seriously considering to finally pick up an iPad to play this.

Of course nobody would recommend getting a ~$400-$500 device just for one game, but there is SOOOO much more out there for iPad, as I'm sure you know if you spend any amount of time on this site.

I would not blame you if this was the game that tipped you over to the "dark side", lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's available now - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/yomi/id594630025?uo=4&mt=8&a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even describe just how much this app has improved the efficiency and convenience with which I can spend time losing to people at Yomi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also become a proficient loser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
$10 is no problem at all.

The problem is that it won't work on my 1st gen ipad.

Heavy sigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hintze
Sweden
flag msg tools
There are worse burdens...
badge
Cool Cat!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great app for a great game.

I had trouble finding the time to play this game as much as i wanted, now i can play at work or on the train.

The new "Shadow" expansion is awsome also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.