Subject: Basic Questions I Hope! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben richards
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
One more thing...!

Someone please put me out of my misery, and clarify this please?

It might seem fundamental but, the 'Sequence of Play'; I am playing with this predominantly with just 2 players, myself and one other. In each playing phase, i.e. Income Phase, Special Character Phase, do we take it in turns at each phase; I get my gold, then the other player(s) get theirs, before we all move onto the next phase; Recruiting Characters?

Also, with 'bluff' Things, it is much harder for them to be effective in a two player game because it is a lot harder for them to 'slip under the radar'; smaller board, closer attention to playing details? With the bluff characters in Exploration and Combat; your hidden stack of Things can Explore a hex, see what is to be fought, then can elect to Retreat or Bribe whilst keeping the bluffed identities intact? If the stack does enter into combat, then all Things are revealed and it is down to the other players observation to determine which Things are actually eligible for combat? If the attacking player does manage to deceive their opponents then is it a case of allowing these bluffed Things to take any damage first, i.e. cannon fodder.

Oh, also, even if you have, say the Black Knight - C3; he/she essentially has just 1HP right? That is to say, if you are fighting to the end, fail your rolls and the defenders score with just one D6, they are gone, back in the cup?

Thanks!

zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the game in front of me (and haven't played it in years) so can't really help you on the rules, but one thing I remembered was that bluffing was really pointless in a two-player game all because of what you pointed out - smaller board, closer attention etc. The only time it really worked was because the other player was just learning the game and didn't know I couldn't use various pieces. And empty victory at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
waterpistol wrote:
One more thing...!

Someone please put me out of my misery, and clarify this please?

It might seem fundamental but, the 'Sequence of Play'; I am playing with this predominantly with just 2 players, myself and one other. In each playing phase, i.e. Income Phase, Special Character Phase, do we take it in turns at each phase; I get my gold, then the other player(s) get theirs, before we all move onto the next phase; Recruiting Characters?

Yes, each player does the phase, befor you move to the next phase.

Quote:
Also, with 'bluff' Things, it is much harder for them to be effective in a two player game because it is a lot harder for them to 'slip under the radar'; smaller board, closer attention to playing details? With the bluff characters in Exploration and Combat; your hidden stack of Things can Explore a hex, see what is to be fought, then can elect to Retreat or Bribe whilst keeping the bluffed identities intact? If the stack does enter into combat, then all Things are revealed and it is down to the other players observation to determine which Things are actually eligible for combat? If the attacking player does manage to deceive their opponents then is it a case of allowing these bluffed Things to take any damage first, i.e. cannon fodder.

Oh, also, even if you have, say the Black Knight - C3; he/she essentially has just 1HP right? That is to say, if you are fighting to the end, fail your rolls and the defenders score with just one D6, they are gone, back in the cup?

Yes, but it's the same for both players, so the balance should be OK.

You can always choose to trade in your bluff creatures (before they are deployde) on a 2-to-1 basis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben richards
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
Thank you Kingly posters! When selecting a Special Character to roll for in the Special Recruitment phase are you allowed to turn them over? I.e. If 'Elf Lord' is face-up can you flip him over and attempt to recruit 'Ice Lord'?

Kindest Regards in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
waterpistol wrote:
Thank you Kingly posters! When selecting a Special Character to roll for in the Special Recruitment phase are you allowed to turn them over? I.e. If 'Elf Lord' is face-up can you flip him over and attempt to recruit 'Ice Lord'?

Kindest Regards in advance!

No flipping of the special characters when recruiting.

Only when you have to discard a special characters (because it's dead, or beacuse you get a new terrain lord, or...) then you can choose to flip the special character to the other side when you put him back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.