Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for the optional actions (camp and recruiting) state:

"Those two phases are optional: each of them can be done any time during the player’s turn, before or after the compulsory Action, but never simultaneously."

What does the bold bit mean? Does one have to occur before the compulsory action and one after? Can both occur before (or after) the compulsory action? I can't decipher what "simultaneously" means here, since I interpret actions (compulsory or optional) as distinct things anyway.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can do both things before or after the compulsory action. I suppose that bit is intended to mean that you can't interrupt making camp to recruit a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
You can do both things before or after the compulsory action. I suppose that bit is intended to mean that you can't interrupt making camp to recruit a card.

That works, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

Or interrupt your compulsory action to buy a card, or interrupt your card recruit to do a compulsory action, or interrupt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longino García
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also confused about this. What do you all mean by "interrupting making camp to recruit a character" I can't think of any reason to do so.

I mean, is it legal to:

-start your turn
Do your compulsory action
Camp (after camping, the cards are on your hand again)
Recruit a character by discarding a card from your hand to get a discount.
-End your turn

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
hormigon wrote:
I am also confused about this. What do you all mean by "interrupting making camp to recruit a character" I can't think of any reason to do so.

I mean, is it legal to:

-start your turn
Do your compulsory action
Camp (after camping, the cards are on your hand again)
Recruit a character by discarding a card from your hand to get a discount.
-End your turn

?

Yes, that is legal.
Each action (compulsory or optional) must be fully completed before starting another one. I agree that interrupting camp to recruit a character usually wouldn't make a lot of sense, but nonetheless you aren't allowed.

It creates crazy timing issues if you allow interruption. Could I interrupt camp to recruit someone, paying the equipment cost with a card I just picked up. Then play, as my compulsory action, the card I just bought and use a meeple I just freed up to power it. If that card gave a -1 time delay would it apply to the current camp. Could I also then pick up that card because I'm camping... you get the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longino García
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! As I saw no reason to interrupt making camp, I was getting more and more confused trying to make sense of the wording of the rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.