Subject: Mordjinn paints Descent 2nd edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've drawn a lot of inspiration from this forum and it is time to give back. Here's my Descent collection so far. I'll add more pictures as I progress. The level I was aiming for is tabletop, so be gentle. Total time to paint full core box was something like 24hrs (in two hour or so sessions). The four missing heroes are painted, I'll add them as soon as I have time to take a photo of them.

Click the picture for bigger version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They look awesome! I wish I had an ounce of artistic talent, but I don't so my Descent mini's will always be red, white and gray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I aspire to do! I've just completed cutting my teeth on Mice and Mystics.

The heroes in Descent intimidate me quite a bit because there are so many small details. Well that and the sheer volume of minis.

Great job by the way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WHOA.

(Grisban looks thirsty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim meyer
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic work! Can you do mine now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
really nice stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fido Montoya
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely love them! I'm about to get started on painting mine as soon as I get over my recent bout of procrastination. Are you just using sand on the bases or flocking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryotsu wrote:
Are you just using sand on the bases or flocking?

I normally use sand with my Warmachine etc. miniatures. For Descent I decided to try Games Workshop's texture paints and they work beautifully. Just paint it on, wash and quick highlight.

Thanks all for your kind comments. Let me know if there's something else I can help with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heart Worm
msg tools
mb
Arg, just makes me feel bad about my own crap paint jobs. The way you've distinguished the master goblin archer from the minions is just brilliant. How long do you spend on each mini?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Mayer
Austria
Bad Gastein
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your Elementals rock. I wish I had any kind of skill with painting but alas I can only watch pictures of other people that paint awesome stuff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heartworm wrote:
Arg, just makes me feel bad about my own crap paint jobs. The way you've distinguished the master goblin archer from the minions is just brilliant. How long do you spend on each mini?

Thanks mate. You should see the first miniatures I painted. Miniature painting has a lot to do with choosing the right colors that compliment each other. If you need tips I'd be honored to help out.

Time spent depends a lot on a miniature/group. According to my painting log I used pretty much 30h straight painting time to do the whole core box (monsters and all heroes). I painted each monster group "assembly line" style to save time. The small humanoids took probably longest as they have a lot of little detail which is slow to paint and in Descent the smaller base monster groups have more miniatures in them.

When looking at my miniatures now I notice that I spent a lot of time to paint stuff that is never going to show when playing. I'm actually practicing a new painting style where I base black and then just paint the bits that are visible when playing the game. They will probably look horrible in pictures but a lot better on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
serphion wrote:
Your Elementals rock. I wish I had any kind of skill with painting but alas I can only watch pictures of other people that paint awesome stuff

Cheers! It's not that hard, really. For example the spiders are dead easy to paint:

- Base black
- Drybrush with gray
- Lighter handed drybrush with lighter gray
- Eyes etc. with red paint

Done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had little bit of time for painting this weekend and managed to finish up the Hybrid Sentinels. Although they look rough up close I'm really liking how they look from 1meter away on the tabletop.

The ettins looked too similar so I made the master stand out. Guess which one is which

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here are the heroes from our first campaign. Or the spice girls as we called them.

Coming soon: Reynhart and Quellen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work Ukko! You guys are really inspiring me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordjinn wrote:
The ettins looked too similar so I made the master stand out. Guess which one is which

You can also have different "colored" bases for the masters and minions. I used an "outdoor" base for the masters, and "dungeon" base for the minions. I'm not sure how good of a choice that is, because if you use the mini's for other 28mm games, you usually use the multiples in outdoor skirmish games?

Also, for a larger version of the pic, just type in "medium" after the ID number. Such as ImageID=12345medium within brackets.

Great job. I can't do more than one sculpt a week. I'm posting tutorials for various sculpts for the future painters! If you want to practice on some non-Descent miniatures, buy some Reaper Bones giant spiders and insects, and follow the Cave Spider tutorial!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Also, for a larger version of the pic, just type in "medium" after the ID number. Such as ImageID=12345medium within brackets.

Thanks for the tip. I updated the pictures to medium. When it comes to bases I'm not a fan of different coloring, but might have to do the red lining to bases if the differences in paint jobs slow the game down. Lets see.

Finished Quellen and Reynhart. Now the whole Lair of the Wyrm is painted. Next stop Trollfens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To all you painters

How much did you spend on colors? Do you actually buy all color-tones you use, or do you mix base colors to gain more colors? If so what base colors did you buy?

I'm asking because I spent alot on games-workshop colors back in my Warhammer 40k days, but they all dried out by now, meaning I would have to start from 0 again.

It seems I could choose to buy a decent colorpalette or get a nice expansion for the same price, which kind of turns me off the paint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm asking because I spent alot on games-workshop colors back in my Warhammer 40k days, but they all dried out by now, meaning I would have to start from 0 again.

you can use paint thinner medium from vallejo to make them little bit useful again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
To all you painters

How much did you spend on colors? Do you actually buy all color-tones you use, or do you mix base colors to gain more colors? If so what base colors did you buy?

It seems I could choose to buy a decent colorpalette or get a nice expansion for the same price, which kind of turns me off the paint.

I think I spent about $80: $60 on paint and $20 on washes. I spent maybe $40 more on brushes, sealer, primer.

You definitely don't need to buy every color. You can mix them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
To all you painters

I had a similar situation where I used to paint minis, but my paints have long since dried up and I had to start over.

What I did is I bought the base colors I needed right away and mixed them as necessary. Every couple weeks I pick up a few more colors.

Now I've got a pretty decent collection again, but most of my figures are painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zwara81 wrote:
Quote:

you can use paint thinner medium from vallejo to make them little bit useful again.

Hmm... I never thought about that. The thing is my colors turned solid meaning they are looking like a piece of plastic right now. Are you sure a thinner would make them usable again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
Hmm... I never thought about that. The thing is my colors turned solid meaning they are looking like a piece of plastic right now. Are you sure a thinner would make them usable again?

It might but i doubt it. For your painting pleasure it would be wiser just to invest in new set. Get a good solid selection of basic colours + the ones you're going to need right away. Then little by little get the ones you need for certain miniature.

Vallejo paints are very good and cheaper than Citadel (GW) paints. Also the dripper bottle is better than Citadel (Games Workshop) paint jars. Then again GW has some great combos of base and layer paints and somehow I alway end up painting with them. If one paint jar costs 3€ I've then spent something like 500€ in paint and washes etc. But it is over years of time and since it is my hobby it is still very cheap hobby compared to mountain climbing or sailing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
To all you painters

I spent about $70 on Reaper paints and got a ton of triple packs from a website (I can't recall now) that had them the cheapest I could find. I generally made my own "washes" and such. For primers and sealers, I just pick up spray cans from Walmart or something. You can find mine here on instagram

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok here are some of mine...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.