Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never sold a game through the BGG Marketplace. I've browsed things for sale once or twice but it wasn't exactly the best user experience I've ever had. I'm thinking about putting some games up for sale and was wondering what I need to know before I go down that route. Is it as awkward as browsing games for sale was?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately probably but if it is a game someone wants they will find you. I know I've looked for certain games that were hard to find. Usually it worked out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Listing it is fairly easy. The biggest surprise to me was that when someone "buys" a game from the listing, a confirmation e-mail is sent to your e-mail account, and nothing at all shows up on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to list a game for sale, you can list it from the game's page. If people want that game for sale, they'll see it listed on that game's page. You can set a shipping price, or note that it will be calculated after purchase. You specify what methods of payment you accept, and what kinds of shipping you offer. When someone buys something, you confirm it, and send them shipping and payment details.

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Marketplace_Seller_Guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought some stuff from the market and had no issues with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both bought and sold via the marketplace. I find the search criteria within the marketplace to be cumbersome but have always found what I wanted if it was available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had nothing but good experiences in the marketplace.

I usually am looking at a game, and if I decide I want to own it, I can find all the places it's for sale. Pretty convenient.

I have had very good experiences with auctions, as well, but they are more frustrating because you can get sniped at odd hours, and it takes more work to get what you want at the price you are willing to pay. The only way to make auctions work, I think, is to buy multiple games so the shipping works out in your favor per game. Having said that, the marketplace shipping costs I feel have always been reasonable and I have never had a problem with a seller.

I haven't sold anything on the marketplace.

As far as a suggestion for using the marketplace, if you have any questions write the seller first, that way you are already communicating if you decide to purchase the game and get invoiced. No surprises, hopefully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't sold anything on the Marketplace, but I've bought about 1/3 of my collection there and have only had good experiences. You need to communicate how shipping will be handled (e.g. what carrier, willing to ship international?). And it doesn't hurt to describe the game's condition in a little detail and/or how much it had been played. The process once someone places the order seems a little wonky, but you'll get email alerts with instructions. Also know that BGG asks for 3% of the price as commission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I put a game up and less than 30 minutes later I got a buyer. But now I have a different problem. How do you guys figure shipping?

Usually I'm trading games and I just pay whatever it costs to ship. But now I've got to get a shipping cost before I can ask the buyer to pay... and I can only ship after they've paid.

Which means either I need to find a way to calculate the shipping cost ahead of time, or make two trips... first to get the cost, then later after they've paid another trip to ship it.

That seems like a pain. Especially as this guy wants to try and get the game super quick. Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usps.com

Do you have a postal scale? It's worth the ~$16 to me because I can weigh it, see which kind of box is best (Regional Rates are often cheapest, especially to this half of the country, and A is cheaper than medium flat rate even to CA)

You calculate the postage with the zip codes and weight; you'll get a discount if you print the label online. You also get free delivery confirmation and $50 insurance with priority (you might already know that part).

If you don't have a usps.com account, get one so you can print the label at home, get the discount, and request pickup if you'd like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a digital bathroom scale, I know some people weigh themselves, and then weigh themselves with the game. The prices go up at pound intervals, so if it seems like it's 3 lbs 15 oz, better to say 4 lbs 1 oz so it doesn't have a delay for insufficient postage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.