Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is serious...I mean the question of all questions!! How in the world, do I get my typical white collar, sports watching, beer drinking husband to play the My little Pony CCG with me? How in the hell do I even broach the subject with him?! haha...oh gads, MLP is my secret guilty pleasure...and I have a feeling he will laugh his ass off if I bring it up. Hmmm...Any suggestions??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick a deck builder or whatever it is that has a more palatable theme. Seriously. You know male players of MLP are called bronies, right?

Science fiction, fantasy ... there are so many other good living card games that aren't pink ponies.

If you need someone to play with you, try your local game store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go play with the creepy old guys playing it in the mall. . .
Maybe your hubby will want to play with you so that you will stop hanging out with creepy guys . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Pick a deck builder or whatever it is that has a more palatable theme. Seriously. You know male players of MLP are called bronies, right?

Science fiction, fantasy ... there are so many other good living card games that aren't pink ponies.

If you need someone to play with you, try your local game store?

Of course I know that!! I am a fan of the show, thats why I want to play this card game. I know that I could take the extra step and go to some creepy card game shop, but Im not sure Im ready to take that step. I say he should do it because he loves me for better or for worse...well I at least need to attempt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluttershy31 wrote:
beer drinking

The answer was right there all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian S.
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sometimes there are hobbies you don't share with your partner and that's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
Fluttershy31 wrote:
beer drinking

The answer was right there all along.

Haha! yep, Well it certainly is a fantastic place to start!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, step one would be to not call me "hubby".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Both the game's theme (ponies) and mechanics (CCG) might well drive him away, so it would be better if he was interested in one before trying to spring both on him. Does he like other games? If so, point him toward this review:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1103412/little-metal-dog-loo...
http://littlemetaldog.com/2014/01/13/wild-horses-my-little-p...

But if he doesn't already like card games of some sort, this is going to be a very hard task. He probably won't respect the opinion of some random game reviewer on the internet if he doesn't like the activity in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Promise to never, ever tell anyone that he did it. That's obviously step one. There are probably many more steps. I would just ask though. I ask my wife to play games all the time. "Hey, Through the Ages?" "No."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume he already knows you're a fan on MLP, yes? If so, you must have some idea of his ability to tolerate MLP. If you have a good idea that it's just not going to happen, then chances are it's just not going to happen. As much as I would love my wife to play Merchant of Venus with me (and she probably would if I begged), I don't even ask because I just know that she would hate it and it would ruin the experience to see the "when can this end" look on her face. Granted, MLP probably doesn't take nearly as long as MoV, but you get my point. But maybe you could pull it off. I honestly can't say without knowing your husband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, If I am going to pull this off at all, It will have to be "Our little secret" Good news is, he is a great guy, who puts up with my girly games. I usually do a good job persuading him , but I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be crossing the line. Mall Madness is one thing, but this...whole other level!! And hey, like someone else said already, its all about being a good sport about it, and just taking it for what it is. Its a game, and games are supposed to be fun...not painful. All about attitude right?!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluttershy31 wrote:
Agreed, If I am going to pull this off at all, It will have to be "Our little secret" Good news is, he is a great guy, who puts up with my girly games. I usually do a good job persuading him , but I have a sneaking suspicion that this might be crossing the line. Mall Madness is one thing, but this...whole other level!! And hey, like someone else said already, its all about being a good sport about it, and just taking it for what it is. Its a game, and games are supposed to be fun...not painful. All about attitude right?!!

Just you, him, and everyone on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluttershy31 wrote:
haha...oh gads, MLP is my secret guilty pleasure...

I saw this coming, right from the beginning, Fluttershy31.

Fluttershy31 wrote:
Hmmm...Any suggestions??

Like Mindy said, go with a very similar game (mechanism-wise) which has a theme that may work better with him.

Or just play the game with someone else ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ask him. He'll be cool.

Be direct. Act like there is nothing weird about it. You'd like to play and that's that. Anything else and it will seem weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Simple: bribe him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
Fluttershy31 wrote:
haha...oh gads, MLP is my secret guilty pleasure...

I saw this coming, right from the beginning, Fluttershy31.

Fluttershy31 wrote:
Hmmm...Any suggestions??

Like Mindy said, go with a very similar game (mechanism-wise) which has a theme that may work better with him.

Or just play the game with someone else ?

Thank you for your input. I guess my point is I want to play this game, and have no interest in other CCG's. But, like others have said, all I can do is be the warm lovey wifey that I am and see what happens!! I am certainly not going to force the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Haar
United States
Bemidji
Mn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pepe Le Pew wrote:
Step 1: Bake Oatmeal cookies.

Step 2: Smile sweetly.

Step 3: Have a nice dinner together

Step 4: Smile sweetly

Step 5: Pour him two fingers of a good single malt scotch.

Step 6: Smile sweetly

Step 7: Serve oatmeal cookies.

Step 8: Smile sweetly

Step 9: Break out the MLP game.

If he won't play. The man is cad. Drink the scotch and eat the cookies yourself.

Haha!! Now this was the response I was waiting for
I will follow this step by step!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the only problem is the theme (i.e. he's totally up for playing a CCG with you), you could always retheme some cards for his deck. I mean, it's a lot of work, but maybe worth it.

If he's not a gamer, I do not think this plan is going to succeed.

I have to say that, even with a heavy-gaming partner, I've had to cure myself of the desire to sell people on games they don't enjoy. "Come on, give it one more try?" never works for me. If I'm disappointed someone doesn't like a game, I say "Aw, bummer, I was really hoping we'd both get into it." and leave it at that. Every so often my partner surprises me with this conversation:

S - "Hey, want to retry that game with [the panda / the boats / the cards] that you were excited about?"

Me - "I thought you didn't like it."

S - "Yeah, but I'm in the mood for a [gambling / heavy / combo-filled] game now, and if you were excited about that one, let's try it. Maybe I'll like it more knowing the rules already."

Me - "Works for me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chelsea
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Promise to never, ever tell anyone that he did it. That's obviously step one. There are probably many more steps. I would just ask though. I ask my wife to play games all the time. "Hey, Through the Ages?" "No."

I read your quote aloud to my wife. Her response: "wow, you guys are like twins."

I feel your pain, my friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imtylerdurden wrote:
Jythier wrote:

I read your quote aloud to my wife. Her response: "wow, you guys are like twins."

I feel your pain, my friend.

My wife gets TtA, she just doesn't enjoy it a bunch. Yet. I'm confident she'll get there. Then we can finally use the military cards. *sigh.*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Delton P.
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluttershy31 wrote:
It will have to be "Our little secret"

Quote:
Mall Madness is one thing,

Yeah.. our little secret.. got it..

Good single-malt Scotch, neat.
Good cigar.
Steak dinner.
A UFC PPV (or tickets to some manly sports event)

Done deal.

Or just ask sweetly, and look him straight in his eyes while looking innocent. Guilt Love will always win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Harr, whatever you do, don't give in. Bronies are a bad thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Serious reply? Equal exchange of activities. One night he gets to choose what you do and you do it no matter how dumb, boring, stupid, etc you think it is on the condition he does the same. Maybe you hate sports, but you have to go out to a game with him to make him happy (and actually learn about the sport to engage him in meaningful conversation) then he plays the CCG with you on your night with the same expectation of involvement. Maybe you'll have to play in a fantasy football league with him or some Bloodbowl - who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If he loves you, he'll play. There are worse things you could be asking him to do.

I donmt know the game, so I can't comment on its complexity. My gf plays some games with me but she's not a gamer, and anything more complicated than TTR or Pandemic and she goes glassy-eyed. If the MLP CCGis too complicated for your husband to grasp, maybe an easier MLP game would be better.

Exo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.