Subject: Tournament Bust rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we had our tournament this weekend and...

It was a bust.

There was only myself and a friend that I invited who had only played the game a couple of times. He doesn't even own the game.

I'm not sure if we just don't have players in my area, or if it wasn't advertised very well, but it was a little bit of a let down. Any of you ever run tournaments? How do you get the word out? I posted the info here and in the FFG forums, but I suppose its entirely possible that doesn't reach any players in my area.

On the bright side, I 'won' the 'tournament'. So I got to bring home a bunch of alternate art Eager Troops and Intimidate cards, two acrylic range rulers, and an Orc card box. So there is that.

I posted a picture of the box, but my photos of the cards and ruler were rejected for various reasons, mostly cropping. So, as soon as I can retake and crop those photos, I'll post them for people to see. The alternate art cards are really nice. There was an Empire card box as well, but my friend took that as he plays Empire in WFB and Invasion, so I didn't get a picture of that. He essentially let me have everything else from the kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some experience with OP for less popular games. Madison has a pretty cool gaming community. MTG gets a very good number of players. Mox Mania gets 20-30+ players for FNM and has regular weekly events for just about every format out there. I'm Board gets 15-20+ players for standard on Wenesday nights.

Netrunner gets about 12 people regularly, Star Wars the card game gets 8 or so but outside that, Mage Wars had the same 2-3 guys every week, same for game of Thrones LCG.

I had to work very hard to put a monthly Summoner Wars league together. We had consistently 8-12 players but it died out after 9 months.

What we are doing with Diskwars is tryin to grow a community. Right now, there are 5 of us. I think it is a nice number to start. I agree with what the store is doing. It is giving Eager Troops for people who show up to play on Monday nights but saving the juicier prizes for once or if we get it consistently played.

We are putting a tournament together for the next few weeks. Either April or May but we are not rushing. There is Spring Break and we want to pick a date to maximize our chances to get a reasonable number of people. I think 6 would make me happy.

It is not easy to put a community together outside Magic, Netrunner and maybe a few exceptions. I am not sure giving out the OP kit after a single attempted tournament was a very good idea in my view.

One suggestion would be to set a night per week with the owner for Diskwars and make it welcoming to new players and demo it out when necessary.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Luckily we have one more kit ready to go. But I think we'll try your advice next time.

I've never done this before so I didn't really know what to expect. But I've already heard from one guy at the store who said he could make a different night. So maybe I'll take a poll and see what nights work for people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
IMO, tournaments are the end goal, not the beginning--I'd recommend focusing on non-tournament gatherings for the first few weeks/months (demo nights, league play, etc) and on building local community infrastructure--email lists, a facebook/meetup group, etc. It really helps if you have extroverted people and play in public--really can draw new players in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular play of the game really helps. Start playing at the same store on the same day of the week starting at the same time. Schedule demo nights and then start a run of four weeks of "league" play to build interest.

I've not done this for Diskwars yet, but I've built successful gaming groups for Android: Netrunner and the Star Wars LCG this way.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MechaBri Zilla
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone. I think there is some excellent advice here. I can see now, that I totally mis-handled this. I sort of wish that my FLGS had given me some of these tips. I would have thought that they would have some experience in developing a gaming community.

I love this game, and desperately want it to be a success, at least until I get my Tomb Kings army anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.